Too much is variable based on my income and savings there are a lot of guns I would want in the 700-1500 range, but until I pay down some educational debt, most anything over $150 is too much.

I anticipate my next few gun purchases to be : ~$120, ~$400, and $800 respectively. After that, the majority of my purchases for self will be infrequent and mostly because the individual gun is special. Therefore after that, the guns will probably be high dollar.

Except I also anticipate regularly buying things like good .357 revolvers when they show up cheap i.e. $250 for a S&W66 in clean condition. I've seen it happen a few times when I didn't have the $250, of course. Investment and gift is a whole other animal than guns I am buying to keep for myself. So I keep an eye out for ~$100 pump 12 ga to give (or sell at cost) to young men and relatives such as my aunt who need a single decent gun but don't have the means or knowledge yet.

• Like 2

I have a couple guns that were near or slightly over the $1000 Mark. Unique additions to my collection and I'm happy I have them. These were bought when I had a better-paying job than I have now. wink.png

I nearly bought a single-shot .50 BMG, but cost of ammo and complete lack of a place to shoot it were the deciding factors against it.

Oddly, 50BMG is 2/3 the price of .338Lapua. I was just looking at that the other day.  50BMG was $4/round. .338Lapua was $6.50

50 bmg is 2.49 a round for ball at sgammo  Hornady amax is 6.00 a round

Too much is variable based on my income and savings

It's all relative to what your (my) income is at a time. As a young, single Tech in 1986 I dropped $700 on a .308 Galil ARM without batting an eye (look at the price of one today), if I had the foresight I would have loaded up on full autos. A few years later, now with a wife that stayed at home to raise our kids it was a treat to buy a cassette tape on payday, several years later my disposable income has freed up a bit and I get what interests me. I was also fortunate enough to have a wife that never bitched or asked how much things were that followed me home. Mostly now I look for bargains as things come in, Things like the M92 PAP's, RV85 flare launchers when they came in, and the occasional ammo deals. All things, even Mosin's have a finite number. Pick up what you want when the timing's right...too much is just a number. If I were to hit the Powerball Lotto this week, what was too much last week would probably just something I pick up next week to piss off Obama.

• Like 2

Gander has/had a single-shot break action .50bmg I was sort of tempted by just for novelty but I wouldn't really have anywhere to shoot it.

I have always wanted a 50BMG Barrett, but now I really have a hankering for a Serbu BFG-50A with a Leupold scope. If you are looking for a single shot .50, take a look at the BFG-50. I don't know if I will ever purchase one, but it doesn't hurt to dream a little.

http://serbu.com/bfg50.html

http://serbu.com/bfg50a.html

https://youtu.be/sVMoOLh92S4

Edited by yakdung

I'd love a Barrett as well. The single-shot was only tempting since it was the price of an 870 or a Mossberg 500. Aside from not needing one, and not knowing where I could shoot it, the idea of a sub 300 dollar .50bmg is kinda scary. Might just be a pipe-bomb waiting to happen. 

• Like 2

Where to shoot the .50 is also a problem for me as well. The gun club I belong to does not allow it. Also, the cost per round can be a little steep as well. Reloading is the route I understand a lot of folks take to offset the cost, but I don't reload yet. I have a BL that does, I could always task him with it.

We can shoot a little past 1000 yds in my back yard, but that doesnt really test a 50 or 338 lapua 

Reloading 50 is a booger, I had the big Dillon set up but it got old pretty quick and I sold it to a friend.

I got tired of the 50 pretty quick.

But I still want an MRAD in 338, but cant justify the cost, although Savage makes a pretty serviceable one for less than half the cost. 

I have a FNAR, came with a nice scope, 10 magazines, 500 rounds of 7.62, got it all for 1800.

Yea a bit pricy, but I wanted it, BAD.

Now a Barrett 82A1 with the scope, when I get the money I WILL HAVE IT!

https://www.classicfirearms.com/barrett-50cal-w29flutedbbl-semi-auto

Forgive me St. Browning but I would much prefer the 338L over the 50.

Just the thought of lugging that 50BMG beast around gives me back spasms, the 308 Saiga plus loadout is as heavy as I would go or even attempt with this worn out old bod.