Mercury recoil reducer

Hi all Happy Turkey day.

Just wondering if anyone has put a mercury recoil reducer in a saiga 12.

If so what one/model?

Was it noticable?

I've already put a soft recoil pad on and a recoil reducer for the action to slam into. Just trying to find what else is out there to reduce the recoil. I'm not saying that I have a huge recoil just would like to see how low I could get it down to.

Thanks all,

Where does it physically go. In the spring?

I might have to brush up on my physics I not sure I understand how liquid mercury works. Is it just the gun thrusting back to the shooter pushes the liquid mercury forward and that pushes the gun forward?

Where does it physically go. In the spring?

I might have to brush up on my physics I not sure I understand how liquid mercury works. Is it just the gun thrusting back to the shooter pushes the liquid mercury forward and that pushes the gun forward?

They are metal tubes full of mercury. Traditionally, they are put in the buttstock of shotguns or rifles.

The mercury does move back and forth to reduce felt recoil.

I have one.

On the factory buttstock there is a hole in the back. This is where it goes. I think the reducer is tailored for the S-12 as it just slips in. I can get some pics if you like to see it.

Anyway the mercury recoil reducer is a drop-in item and does not require any modification of the gun at all. It can be removed as easy. It does reduce felt recoil without affecting reliability - at least in my gun.

It does also affect the weight and balance of the gun somewhat. If you use the guns balance to sense when the mag is empty (like you do with plastic pistols such as a Glock's) then the mercury recoil reducer will make you misinterpret the feeling of the gun. The remedy is - as always - more practicing.

I have also seen people mounting extra reducers on the barrel using flashlight mounting brackets. So that they get 2-3 recoil reducers all in all. Not that I know what they think they will accomplish or even know what they are afraid of.

The Saiga-12 recoil is like the soothing touch of a woman to a yearning mans shoulder. Why would you ever want to dampen that feeling?

In my opinion split time is more important than recoil reduction. More lead in the air is better than less.

So you need to test it together with the ammo you use and see if it affects your speed of lead delivery or accuracy on target.

Yes please can you post a picture when you get a chance. I removed the factory but stock plate and put in a soft recoil pad so hopefully i could still get it to fit? Does it have to be a snug fit? I would imagin it does.

Yes please can you post a picture when you get a chance. I removed the factory but stock plate and put in a soft recoil pad so hopefully i could still get it to fit? Does it have to be a snug fit? I would imagin it does.

They are usually screwed to the stock in some manner depending on the structure of your buttstock.

I hope someone can post some pictures of one they have. I'd also like to get a link where I can buy one if you post a picture. Do they come with some sort of mounting accessory?

Also how much does an OZ of mercury weigh?

An ounce (weight) of mercury weighs one ounce.

A fluid ounce (volume) of mercury does NOT weigh one ounce. A fluid ounce of water weighs one ounce. Mercury is heavier than water.

Mercury at room temperture weighs 13.55g/mL.

A mL=cc, so 472mL* 13.55g/mL = 6436.25 grams is close to 227 ounces.

227 ounces = 14.1875 pounds

An ounce (weight) of mercury weighs one ounce.

A fluid ounce (volume) of mercury does NOT weigh one ounce. A fluid ounce of water weighs one ounce. Mercury is heavier than water.

Mercury at room temperture weighs 13.55g/mL.

A mL=cc, so 472mL* 13.55g/mL = 6436.25 grams is close to 227 ounces.

227 ounces = 14.1875 pounds

You are confusing liquid measure with dry measure.

A gram is a unit of dry measure.

A milliliter is a unit of liquid measure.

472 ml = 15.9602186 US fluid ounces.

I think that if anyone stuffed 14lbs of anything in their buttstock, it'd reduce the recoil considerably.

Edited by nalioth

I used a K-Var AK stock on my S12 conversion. I took off the butt plate and removed the spring that pushes the cleaning kit out. I measured the diameter of the cleaning kit and ordered the same size Mercury buffer from Brownell's (11 oz.). I used an epoxy mix from Walmart and glued it into place where the cleaning kit sits. It works very well. Between the mercury, porting the barrel, and the Tromix Shark break there is little to no recoil. I put over 200 rounds through my S12 during one trip to the range and did not even receive a red mark on my shoulder. The follow up shots are very quick because the muzzle does not rise and I can stay on target. I aquire the target and pull the trigger as fast as my finger will move. I just watch the hole get bigger in the target with every trigger pull. I am consitantly out shooting the Benelli's that I shoot against. I'm quicker shooting and I can reload 10 faster than they reload 6. The mercury does make a difference and is an easy upgrade.

***If you decide to epoxy the mercury tube from Brownell's into your stock, peal the sticker/label from the tube so the epoxy sticks directly to the metal so there is less chance of it coming loose if the sticker glue gives out on you.

Edited by madmilo

Sorry for the delay...

Here are some pictures of the mercury recoil reducer I have. The shotshell and the .45 Auto are there for size comparision.

As you can tell from the pictures the butt pad is made of some striped metal (excellent for that Soviet style comfort we all love).

Just below the center there is a hatch that opens inward and closes automatically as it is under tension from a spring.

The shell will actually fit in the hatch but can not be fully inserted as the rim is a notch wider than the hole itself.

There is also a spring in the front of the compartment that will push the MRR backwards so it stays put. Sidways it has a snug fit and will not flap around.

post-3641-1195918826_thumb.jpg

Once the MRR is inserted you can forget about its existance. It will rest against the inside of the closed hatch.

The MRR itself has a hole on one side and is threaded with some imperial size thread (about the same that you find on cameras for tripod mounts). So I guess you could fasten it or a few more MRR's somwhere on the gun if you like.

Don't forget to check your split times if you use the S-12 for competition or HD/SD.

Sorry for the delay...

Here are some pictures of the mercury recoil reducer I have. The shotshell and the .45 Auto are there for size comparision.

As you can tell from the pictures the butt pad is made of some striped metal (excellent for that Soviet style comfort we all love).

Just below the center there is a hatch that opens inward and closes automatically as it is under tension from a spring.

The shell will actually fit in the hatch but can not be fully inserted as the rim is a notch wider than the hole itself.

There is also a spring in the front of the compartment that will push the MRR backwards so it stays put. Sidways it has a snug fit and will not flap around.

post-3641-1195918826_thumb.jpg

Once the MRR is inserted you can forget about its existance. It will rest against the inside of the closed hatch.

The MRR itself has a hole on one side and is threaded with some imperial size thread (about the same that you find on cameras for tripod mounts). So I guess you could fasten it or a few more MRR's somwhere on the gun if you like.

Don't forget to check your split times if you use the S-12 for competition or HD/SD.

I believe your results would be enhanced if you glued or braced the buffer in the stock. The spring allows movement which does not let the buffer work as it was designed. The buffer should be attatched in a rigid manner as if it were a permanent part of the frame, stock, or barrell and should be in-line with the recoil.

Joeddox; I forgot which one I ordered but it looks like the one Rolling Thunder posted. I'll get the measurements and get back to you with that part number. You could also use that screw hole on the back of the buffer to attatch the buffer if you did not want it permanently attatched with epoxy.

Just take off the butt plate (Mine is held in with torx head screws) and remove the spring. Go to the hardware store and find a screw that fits the threads, preferably a screw with a large head. Put the buffer in the stock and back the screw out so it touches the but plate when it is pu back into place. The idea here is to have the buffer tightly wedged into place with the butt plate pushing against the screw head which forces a tight fit of the buffer in the stock. Once you get the right fit, backe the screw out 2 turns and put a few drops of lock tight on it. Screw it back in 2 turns and the screw the butt plate back on.

Sorry for the delay...

It's interesting that it drops right in there. Do you think that the stock was designed with the compartment just for this kind of thing?

It's interesting that it drops right in there. Do you think that the stock was designed with the compartment just for this kind of thing?

No. I believe it was designed this way to accomodate the factory cleaning kit or maybe som other accessory. Recoil reduction was not a top priority when they built this thing. That's just my belief - maybe someone here knows for sure.

The one thing I know is that my gun is very reliable and has an operational record that is even better than any of my Glocks or the AR.

Sorry for the delay...

No. I believe it was designed this way to accomodate the factory cleaning kit or maybe som other accessory. Recoil reduction was not a top priority when they built this thing. That's just my belief - maybe someone here knows for sure.

The one thing I know is that my gun is very reliable and has an operational record that is even better than any of my Glocks or the AR.

It is to hold the military issue cleaning kit

stubekitkd2.jpg

I have that cleaning thing. But my stock doesn't have a spot where that fits in. The end of my buttstock was just a solid curved piece of plastic. I'll try to post a picture of it sometime soon. But since then I have replaced it with a remington recoil pad (rubber).

I was just thinking that I might epoxy the hell of it inside the buttstock on the top. I've used epoxy before and I'm pretty sure that it would never come unglued if it sets properly.

What do you guys think?