Failure to eject problem

Just picked up a saiga .308 w/ a skeletonized stock from www.armsofamerica.com a couple months ago and just out to shoot it today for the first time and I am having a little problem. When the rifle is fired with any ammunition in the clip something on the bolt is sliding accross the top of the next available round in the clip while trying to eject the spent shell casing. It is preventing the spent casing to eject and the bolt is found partially open with the casing still in the chamber. You must remove the clip and then eject the shell casing. The round in the clip is damaged to the point it is spilling power all over the place.

It will fire and eject w/ no ammunition in the clip.

I am an AR guy and I am pretty unfamiliar with the ak style rifles. I cannot think of anything I am doing wrong. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Flag2442 :cryss:

update

I spoke with arms of america and they put me in touch with the distributor russian american armory company who had me send it in. They advised it was the second one they had doing what I described. Seemed like a small mom and pop place and I spoke with Clyde who had me ship it on his dime and said it would most likely be replaced and he would test fire the new one before sending. I told him I was amazed by the customer service and he said he treated people the way he like to be treated. So thumbs up to arms of america who followed up w/ me making sure it was taken care of and russian american armory company. :D.

flag2442

sounds like it needed a good oiling on the bolt and rails

How would a good oiling on the bolt and rails prevent that kind of interference? The rifle was cleaned and oiled before it was fired.

The bolt would easily function forward and rearward with no mag installed. Insert a mag with one round and it would cycle the round into the chanber and also hand cycle it out. Place any additional ammunition in the mag and when you pulled the bolt back it would lock up on the ammunition in the mag and not ride over the top. When hand cycled it would just stop, when fired it would leave a 1/4 hole in the case of the next round in the mag.

Like I said im unfamilar with ak style rifes could you please explain?

Thanks

flag2442

How would a good oiling on the bolt and rails prevent that kind of interference? The rifle was cleaned and oiled before it was fired.

The bolt would easily function forward and rearward with no mag installed. Insert a mag with one round and it would cycle the round into the chanber and also hand cycle it out. Place any additional ammunition in the mag and when you pulled the bolt back it would lock up on the ammunition in the mag and not ride over the top. When hand cycled it would just stop, when fired it would leave a 1/4 hole in the case of the next round in the mag.

Thanks

flag2442

Thats exactly the problem I had and how I fixed it,I thought it was related to this:

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=20929

I thought mine was oiled enough too,I remember solution to this problem from my tommy gun; I believe the extra resistance from the bullets pushing up causes enough resistance to stop bolt movement,(bolt against bottom of rails) but problem was less persistant with less rounds in magazine due to less spring pressure

Edited by Zoojelly

Thanks

flag2442

Thats exactly the problem I had and how I fixed it,I thought it was related to this:

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=20929

I thought mine was oiled enough too,I remember solution to this problem from my tommy gun; I believe the extra resistance from the bullets pushing up causes enough resistance to stop bolt movement,(bolt against bottom of rails) but problem was less persistant with less rounds in magazine due to less spring pressure

Well that was some good reading and good information. We will see what caused it, im sure he will tell me what was wrong and ill post it. Mostly what I read in those posts was related to the the pin that retains the firing pin which also seemed to lock up the action with or without the mag inserted. Mine only has problems with the mag installed and once removed the bolt moves around freely.

I appreciate all of the advice and thnk this is a great site.

thank you flag2442

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I heard back from Russian American Armory today and was informed that the bolt had not been completely machined and they had their smith finish it and it is back in the mail. They said it had been test fired and was now working properly.

Cant wait to try it again.

flag2442

Well, all I can say is that Russian American Armory Company is a class act. I got the rifle back today and I thought it was Christmas. A note was included that read "Inspected weapon, found bolt sticking on bullet casing, reworked bolt. Test fired weapon. works fine. cleaned and returned". In the box was an extra mag, 3 of those little things to keep your beverages cold with saiga and russian american armory written all over them, ear plugs, note paper and a silicone gun and reel cloth.

And I was just excited that they paid the shipping both ways absolutely unreal. I hope you never have any problems with your saiga but rest assured if it originally came from RAAC you will be well taken care of. I have not fired it yet but im sure it will be fine as stated in the note.

flag2442

Curious to know what they did, just a little metal shave and polish? Would it be possible to get a little more info?

My Dads Saiga 308 had the same initial problem over a year ago-all it took was a little planing down the bolt lock up lug to allow it to clear the rounds in the mag. We did this by comparing the bolt to my rifle's and making them match. Caused the problem on the right side of the mag only-fed just fine from the left side on second round in mag.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, new here. Just took out my new saiga 308 to the range and seemed to have the same problem. Every other mag or so the bolt would carve a big dent into the next round sometimes puncturing it. Most of the time just leaving a big groove. It looked like I could file it off a bit to improve the bolt going over the next round. Do you guys have any pictures of what the bolt should look like? mine has a sharp angle where it should go over the round below it. (with a little tiny tiny dent. might have been caused by my barnaul steel case stuff.) I'll post a pic when i can.

post-9624-1202710873.jpg

post-9624-1202710884.jpg

Edited by jedi_glee

I bought my 308 about 1 month ago. I was just wondering if they all only throw the spent case 2-3 feet? My 7.62x39 throws them 10-15 feet. Also had 2 falure to eject rounds out of about 100 rounds first time out I used barnal 140 grn soft point.

Looks like a batch made it out missing a step in the machining process.

:ded:

I just pulled out my new .308 and sure enough i have the same issue. looks like i need to bust the file out. Does anyone have a pic of what the bolt needs to look like when its correct?

Here is the best that I can do at the moment. Email (message) me and maybe I can do better if I know what I need to focus on....

Macbeau sends...

post-1473-1202864201.jpg

post-1473-1202864220.jpg

post-1473-1202864236.jpg

post-1473-1202864252.jpg

post-1473-1202864266.jpg

Edited by macbeau

Based on the photo's jedi posted that was exactly what mine was doing only worse. Mine would not function with any ammunition in the magazine at all ever. If i placed a single round in the mag and cycled it into the chamber it would fire and eject but if i loaded 2 or more and the mag had anything in it when it went to eject it would rip a hole in the case of the next availble round when the bolt went to eject the spent case. It would not even slowly hand cycle.

Looks like mine was not an issolated incident.

flag2442

Looks like a batch made it out missing a step in the machining process.

:ded:

I just pulled out my new .308 and sure enough i have the same issue. looks like i need to bust the file out. Does anyone have a pic of what the bolt needs to look like when its correct?

Here is the best that I can do at the moment. Email (message) me and maybe I can do better if I know what I need to focus on....

Macbeau sends...

Thanks for the pics! i did some filing last night on the bolt in the area that was hitting.Cycles fine by hand now with out destroying any more rounds.I need to get out for a test fire session now and will have a update soon! I wonder how common this issue is?

• 2 weeks later...

Tonight I tried adding spacer ti makethe 8 rnd factory mag into a 5 rnd mag for hunting. Everything went eazy until trying to cycle the ammo the bolt catches on the right hand side beacause of ther odd number of rounds. Do I have the same issue as talked about above. The pictures of the bolt are to vage for me to tell if my bolt needs to be filed. The dent in the shell is in the same place. Any advice would help.