For what it is worth, I have gotten the best results (100% reliability so far) with my WASR-22 using CCI mini mag copper plated round nose ammo. The difference was especially notable when using BDM 29-round mags. This is a bit off-topic, but I am hoping that it may help someone avoid some frustration.

I also used a Dremel with a cutting wheel to enlarge the ejection port considerably, then I cold-blued the "raw" edge. That completely eliminated empty casings rattling around in the receiver. I no longer have any malfunctions.

Edited by hogdog

I replaced my top cover with a spare Romanian one that I have here. Required some grinding to make it fit (had some bolt carrier clearance issues).

Also I adjusted the extractor spring making sure it was in the stronger position, then i locktited the screw.

I haven't had it out yet to see if those fix all the problems. I really hope that it does though since those Black Dog Machine mags weren't cheap.

Then its just to thread the barrel....it looks so naked :D

Then its just to thread the barrel....it looks so naked

Good luck with that... you will need to order/have made a special TAT... I tried to use mine, and its too big... the difference between a .224 caliber barrel and a .22 barrel... It JUST doesnt quite fit... :(

But if ya get one... let me know... maybe I will rent it from ya! :lol:

:smoke:

hogdog...do you have any pictures to assist me in the grindings? I'm hoping this thing wont be all beat up and rusted...I never did ask if it was "new". I'll be taking your advice on the ammo...although I'll probably try and work a few different types threw it to see what works. I can't wait to shoot the hell out of this thing...perfect for my mother too...I got her to shoot my Saiga 7.62 last year. She's never shot a gun before, to say the least she actually enjoyed herself and was a pretty good shot too. She was scared shitless but with some persistence I got her squeeze off a few rounds. Thanks once again scoutjoe....chalk up another AK variant to my collection :bad_smile:

Then its just to thread the barrel....it looks so naked

Good luck with that... you will need to order/have made a special TAT... I tried to use mine, and its too big... the difference between a .224 caliber barrel and a .22 barrel... It JUST doesnt quite fit... :(

But if ya get one... let me know... maybe I will rent it from ya! :lol:

There you go again with those negative waves.....

I need to try one of the BDM mags, the factory mags for the Wasr 22s are mostly junk. I retro-fitted one of my mags with a new stainless steel Marlin mag and it helped out a lot. mine likes CCI Blazer 22s. I may have to try the ejection port trick, that sounds like a good idea.

hogdog...do you have any pictures to assist me in the grindings? I'm hoping this thing wont be all beat up and rusted...I never did ask if it was "new". I'll be taking your advice on the ammo...although I'll probably try and work a few different types threw it to see what works. I can't wait to shoot the hell out of this thing...perfect for my mother too...I got her to shoot my Saiga 7.62 last year. She's never shot a gun before, to say the least she actually enjoyed herself and was a pretty good shot too. She was scared shitless but with some persistence I got her squeeze off a few rounds. Thanks once again scoutjoe....chalk up another AK variant to my collection :bad_smile:

I don't have any pictures yet, but I can try to take some soon. I simply used a regular AK receiver cover as a guide, marked where I wanted to cut on the WASR-22 receiver cover, cut along the line, and ground the edge smooth. If you open it up to the extent that I did, you will be able to see part of the recoil spring. It looks OK to me, but some people just may not like that.

You are right to try different kinds of ammo. Due to the fairly loose tolerances in the guns, different guns may work best with different ammo. The keys seems to be the bullet shape and energy. The sleeker bullet shapes seem to feed the best, and the hotter rounds seem to function best. The CCI mini-mag copper-plated round nose ammo meets both those criteria. I have heard of other people getting good results with the Blazer ammo too.

WASR-22s don't look pretty, but they are great guns when you get them working right. Fortunately, that took only a little effort with mine.

I get what your saying, I'll just match it up to another cover. I plan on doing a bunch of builds this summer so I'll probably just refinish the WASR along with all my other G's. I can't wait for it to warm up a bit...I've got cabin fever and have been SLOWLY collecting all the parts I need to start these builds.

• 3 weeks later...

Just went out and sighted mine in today... With iron sights... 10 rounds in about a 2" group at 50 yards... a bit to the right... I will have to adjust it, and I didnt bring my sight tool with me. Go figure!

I also noticed that the first 4 rounds would fail to feed... but once I got past those the remaining 6 went off without a hiccup VERY fast!! :up:

BTW... PM sent MLRoak... I still need info on the mag tweak... one of mine has a busted feedlip and is worthless till I fix it.