Saiga 12 coversion

John,

Make sure you get a skeleton-style stock like this one from Krebs:

SaigaStock2.jpg

The ones that connect the bottom of the PG to the stock are OK as far as I know, since certain models are imported with them.

If you add a regular pistol grip the gun becomes non-sporting and 922r applies, then you will have to replace more parts with US-made ones to stay legal.

BTW Krebs stuff is all great quality.

Edited by BobAsh
John,

SaigaStock2.jpg

The ones that connect the bottom of the PG to the stock are OK as far as I know, since certain models are imported with them.

If you add a regular pistol grip the gun becomes non-sporting and 922r applies, then you will have to replace more parts with US-made ones to stay legal.

I second that stock, I had one on my original S12 and really liked it. It's a modified polymer SVD stock made to fit the Saiga, same type as used on regular modern SVD rifles. The grip is really comfortable and the cheekpad rotates for iron sights or cleaning the receiver (mainly useful for a Dragunov with it's 24" barrel and correspondingly long cleaning rod).

If you're not going to convert this is definately a good stock to go with.

Saiga12%20006.jpg

Z

John,

SaigaStock2.jpg

so if I put this on my saiga 12 , it wont change to non-sporting . thanks I wanted to know for sure

so if I put this on my saiga 12 , it wont change to non-sporting . thanks I wanted to know for sure

Well I'm not an authority on ATF rulings, but I believe that some Saigas are imported with this stock, so that's a pretty good indication that it's considered sporting.

Anybody know something different?

I can't comment on the legality, but I had this stock before I converted, and it was pretty good. A little light, but very solid. I saw a couple reviews that said the PG was too small to get their hands around, but they must really have massive hands. It wasn't an issue for me. The cheek rest is completely worthless with iron sights. I kept it flipped down whenever I was shooting. Overall a good stock, and IMO your best option if you are not converting. All the external block PG stocks just look so gay to me.

• 1 month later...

Is this one hollow?

I just ordered one to try out. I don't care for the look of the external block PG's either, but this one has character. And the fact that this one is designed for Saiga's is an added incentive for me to try it. I filled my Monte stock and it's solid and suits me, but this one is calling my name. :unsure:

Is this one hollow?

I just ordered one to try out. I don't care for the look of the external block PG's either, but this one has character. And the fact that this one is designed for Saiga's is an added incentive for me to try it. I filled my Monte stock and it's solid and suits me, but this one is calling my name. :unsure:

yes it's hollow

John,

SaigaStock2.jpg

I just caught this and wanted to chime in.

You are not violating your "non sporting" clause by doing a basic conversion (moving the trigger group, adding a pistol grip and standard butt stock).

You DO violate it when you use "non sporting" magazines or "make it capable of using non sporting magazines" [i.e. adding a bullet guide / grinding the mag latch] w/o complying with 922r.

So long as you don't add a flash hider, grenade launcher or folding stock (actually listed in the law as "parts of an assault rifle") or use "non sporting mags" after you move the trigger parts to bring the Saiga into the normal AK aspect, you're fine.

This has been discussed before.