Conversion started 0945 hrs

Here goes.....

Gun stripped and placed on a towel covered coffee table

Rigid Cobalt 3/16" bit and a Bosch corded drill to remove the 2 side rivets...5 minutes

The bits zipped through the rivets like they were made of paper...awesome

Removed shepherds crook and lightly pushed on remaining 2 pins with a punch

Inner workings removed

Dremmel with aluminum oxide cylinder grinding bit (orange in color) to slightly flatten trigger guard rivets...10 Minutes

Same drill and 3/16" bit to remove rivets...5 minutes

Notes: I will not be reusing the triggerguard, so it is still attached to the plate. No sparks from using aluminum oxide grinding bit. Rigid drill bits did not need me to dimple the rivets before drilling, they started without any wandering on the slightly flattened rivets.

Just waiting for my delivery of my conversion parts...sometime today.

While waiting, I will paint the bottom of the receiver with Rust-Oleum High Heat Engine Paint (gas and oil resistant / flat black)

This is easier than trying to level and hang a shelf....if you had any doubts, just forget it and do this! :super:

Gonna' have a cigarette as I await my delivery....the hardest part so far.

At around 1400 hrs the parts arrived....opened the package and dropped them in. Didnt work...guess I need to use pins or something because just dropping them into the receiver turned my gun into a rattle....JK, lol.

Sat in front of the computer with the trigger installation video on the CSS website. Took less than 10 minutes. Conversion complete.

Note: If you get the Tapco G2 trigger group you will reuse the original disconnector spring. I couldnt tap the roll pin out to get to the spring from my original parts (working on a coffee table with no vise), so I just used a cutoff wheel to cut the pin and seperate the peices.

Did you do the TG rivets from the inside or the outside?? I did mine inseid but it was tight.

Removed mine from the outside since I had no intention of keeping the original TG. Funny thing is, I didn't even nick the paint on it...could have re-used it if I wanted too. Replaced the factory TG with a bolt on replacement(RAM STG) from CSS. It's a nice add-on, the TG has threaded holes and comes with 2 little screws to screw it in place through the receiver.

Edited by Flashbang
  • 2 weeks later...

is that the same stock/grip from the first picture? i looked closer the grip is different but is the stock?

I used the same Tapco T6 stock I had on before the conversion. The grip is the same SAW style, but a different one to fit the post conversion rifle. The one that came with the T6 stock originally will not fit after the conversion.

Here goes.....

Rigid Cobalt 3/16" bit and a Bosch corded drill to remove the 2 side rivets...5 minutes

Inner workings removed

Dremmel with aluminum oxide cylinder grinding bit (orange in color) to slightly flatten trigger guard rivets...10 Minutes

Notes: I will not be reusing the triggerguard, so it is still attached to the plate. No sparks from using aluminum oxide grinding bit. Rigid drill bits did not need me to dimple the rivets before drilling, they started without any wandering on the slightly flattened rivets.

While waiting, I will paint the bottom of the receiver with Rust-Oleum High Heat Engine Paint (gas and oil resistant / flat black)

This is easier than trying to level and hang a shelf....if you had any doubts, just forget it and do this! :super:

Nice job. What took you less than an hour took me weeks of on-and-off effort.

When people say this is "easy", they mean it is easy for someone who is adept with tools. With people like me who are inexperienced with most of these tools and frightened about making a fatal screw-up, the first conversion is not easy, but it is doable. I'm picking up a 5.45 for my wife today, and am not the least bit daunted about the prospect of converting this second one.

Jim

is that the same stock/grip from the first picture? i looked closer the grip is different but is the stock?

I used the same Tapco T6 stock I had on before the conversion. The grip is the same SAW style, but a different one to fit the post conversion rifle. The one that came with the T6 stock originally will not fit after the conversion.

cool one less part i need to buy, well right away anyways..

Here goes.....

Inner workings removed

Nice job. What took you less than an hour took me weeks of on-and-off effort.

When people say this is "easy", they mean it is easy for someone who is adept with tools. With people like me who are inexperienced with most of these tools and frightened about making a fatal screw-up, the first conversion is not easy, but it is doable. I'm picking up a 5.45 for my wife today, and am not the least bit daunted about the prospect of converting this second one.

Jim

Good point. I am kinda' handy with tools. As for screwing up the gun....if I couldn't convert it I would not have been happy with it in its factory set up...so I had no problem throwing caution to the wind. Besides that, its an AK design...it will take just about any sort of abuse....even reckless abandon witha dremel. Any problems with your next conversion, drop me a line...I'll be glad to help you out. FYI, the retaining plate is awesome...hold it all together and is easy to install.

cool one less part i need to buy, well right away anyways..

It will do its job for now. I am just debating between the ACE and Tromix skeleton stocks at the moment.