I guess one of the few things about my Saiga that frustrates me is the lack of an indepth manual. Lacking that, can any of the knowledgeable out there tell me what the correct procedure is to remove the firing pin for cleaning the pin and internals of the bolt? Thanks, Don.

It's made like an SKS. but with just a straight pin. The punch from any standard AK tool kit will work for removing the pin, it is not very tight. The one on my S-12 will fall out when the bolt is out of the gun-if I'm not carefull.

The firing pins come in 2 flavors, and they are interchangeable. One type has a seperate spring loaded firing pin and a "kinetic" stricker rod. The other has a one piece spring loaded firing pin.

G O B

honestly i don't think that you really need to dismantle the bolt for cleaning.

i've owned multiple ak's, one of them having over 5000 rounds fired without ever cleaning the firing pin. other than jetting some breakfree down the channel and working the pin back and forth to flush out.

Thanks for the advice. I'm generally of the opinion that more gun problems are created by excessive teardown than are solved. I guess I may have given a post I saw too much credibility. The poster seemed to believe that the firing pin was prone to collect fouling from firing. Don

The firing pin very well could collect fouling... but as previously noted, just spray it out and work it with your fingers till its free... It will be VERY loose in there front to back... should almost rattle when you shake the bolt carrier front to back... thats it... reassemble.... shoot till your out of ammo... repeat as needed! :lol:

:smoke: