Buying first handgun need help

Hrm...you'll need to supply a bit more information.

Do you want something you can carry easily? Open carry or concealed carry?

Do you want something for competition shooting? If so, what kind of competition?

Do you just want a plinkin' gun? Or a defensive gun to lay on your bedside table?

If possible, list every desirable feature (or feature you're considering) and we can provide a lot more help. If you just want to learn of some decent guns, we can do that too, but what's decent to you may be horrible to me and vica-versa.

However, excellent job assimilating information before buying your handgun. I spent MONTHS researching what I wanted, and now am about to sell it and go back to the drawing board, so hopefully we can save you that headache.

well im not gonna be shooting it any sort of competition, the gun will be a plinkster through and through i have plenty of other guns for defensive purposes, i think i might want something in 9mm more simply cause the ammo is cheaper. me and a friend went to a gun range and fired various handguns including a para 1911,springfeild 1911,glock 9mm,and a xd compact 9mm i loved the 1911's but the glock i disliked alot i didnt like the fell of the gun whatsoever, felt to unbalanced to me, i did however like the xd had more weight to it which felt better in my hand as i fired it, which is why i dont know if i want a 1911 or a xd, basicly what can i get for 350-450

I'll throw my lot in with the CZ or the Tangfolio (imported by EAA) Witness. I believe they're both 1911 clones, and darn good for the money. I'm not 100% sure about the CZ, but the Witness can be raced out fairly affordably, not to mention there are high cap magazines available for it.

You won't go wrong with the XD.

May also look into the Taurus 24/7.

I'll throw my lot in with the CZ or the Tangfolio (imported by EAA) Witness. I believe they're both 1911 clones, and darn good for the money. I'm not 100% sure about the CZ, but the Witness can be raced out fairly affordably, not to mention there are high cap magazines available for it.

You won't go wrong with the XD.

May also look into the Taurus 24/7.

whoa hold on there the CZ and the Tanfoglio are a CZ and a CZ copy not a 1911 copy.

that said oldskoolfattieg if you want to do alot of shooting get a 9mm. the 9mm is 6-9$ per50 and the 45acp is 10-15$ per 50. My choices in order 9mms matching your price range...Glock 17/19, CZ witness/tanfoglio/baby eagle, highpower, XD, taurus or a ruger. If you really want a 45acp I would say go with a springfield Armory Mil-Spec 1911-A1/ GI, Charles daily, EAA Witness, glock 21, or an XD. all should be in your price range if you look around

• 1 month later...
ill be turning 21 very soon and i was looking to buy a handgun i was thinking of going with a 1911 or a xd in 9mm looking to spend about 350-450, whats the advantages of each gun and the disadvantages if any, how long will each last i plan on shooting it a lot hopefully

Read Authors "Marshall an Sanows" books "Handgun stoopping power", and their second book "Street stoppers".

You willl then be able to form your own opinion, because their information is based on what really worked out on the streets -- they call it "one shot stops" and base their facts and figures on what combination of gun and ammo stopped a gunfight at what percentage of the time.

For example a 9mm pistol with Corbon 115 grain hollowpoints might stop a gunfight 92% of the time on the first shot that hits the attacker in the upper body.

Where as a .45ACP pistol loaded with hard-ball (FMJ) ammo only stopped a gunfight on the first upper body shot 63% of the time, but if you load the same .45 pistol with Gold dot hollowpoints or Hydrashock hollow points the same gun will now stop an attacker 94% of the time on the first shot.

Both books are good reads, and there are "success statistics" and "one shot stop" percentages for every caliber from .22 rimfires, to .44 magnum. All the tables in the books are based on actual gunfights no "theories" This is what works on real people in real gunfights.

BTW, the .357 with 125 grain JHP ammo got a higher rating (96%) than any type of ammo in a .44 magnum -- go figure.

GW

Edited by greywolf

Since you have decided on a 9mm, then pick the one you like best. You are right about the ammo cost. If you look around you can get bargins on 1000 round cases. Also Wally World has 100 round boxes for 12.00. I use the CorBon 115 grain for carry in my baby Glock 26. It goes out at 1260 fps over my chrono. The XD should be OK, havent seen anything negative on it. Id get the longest barrel for your uses. For a first handgun I generally recommend a six inch barrelled 357 Magnum like a Ruger GP100. This is the most versital handgun out there, Its easy to shoot and can use cheap 38 Special for practice. The higher powered loads can be used on game up to deer. Its also fun to plink with the mag ammo at long range.

I'm a big CZ fan myself. My new CZ 75B is a few threads below yours. If you wanted to go up to a .40 S&W, you can pick up a CZ 40P for under $300.00. I wish I had the extra $$$ for one of those.

CDNN has some polymer Witness 9mm's for under $300.00.

I guess the question is ploymer vs steel. Full size vs compact.

The Taurus pt 24/7 is also nice polymer for under $500.00.

The CZ75/85 is one of the best 9mm's its the choice of the russian special ops too. I put the houge wrap around rubber grips on it and the 16lb recoil spring(wolf gun springs). I'm shooting the 9mm russian wolf ammo and the 16# recoil spring is perfect for it. It tames down the recoil and the CZ75/85 cycles faster and smoother too and has less over travel.

Now for a 1911a1 45acp pistol there are a few great choices you can make that are very affordable too. You don't need to spend big dollars for a good reliable and dependable 1911a1. You can go with a used chinese norinco 1911a1 for $299+ which is one of the best 1911a1's I have ever owned or a new Auto-Ordnance Army WW2 copy 1911a1 in 45acp for $399 which is one of the best brand new 1911a1's I have ever owned too.

It all depends on what you want and your looking for and its up to you to narrow down your choices too. I put my 3 best pistols that i own right now and i'm very satisfied with them.

Edited by Unknown Poster

There's still something just plain wrong with a ChiCom 1911...

Get a Springfield US GI 1911A1 if you want a bit of history on the cheap (~$450 is what I've seen). You cannot beat their warranty in that price range (or even several hundred dollars above it). If you're looking for a 9mm, I'd head towards the plastic guns: XD, Glock (if you can stand them), S&W, etc.

Also, look into the CZ-52 if you want a cheap plinker. Aim Surplus has a CZ-52 for $139 with 2 mags and a holster. Add a replacement firing pin (about what? $30?) and some 7.62x25 is $9+S/H/I for 72 rounds of late 80s Romainian. Think of it as cheap, light weight, commie 357Sig.

It's on my list of "Gotta haves"

Link

Edited by Rusty