Why hi-cap conversion mags for saiga 308 fail.

If you watch how the bullets feed from a factory saiga 308 mag, you will see how the inward curl at the end of the lips directs the bullets to feed in almost a straight line towards the chamber.

All conversions of factory mags must implement this essential quality.

I have observed this as well. Part of why I describe the S-308 as a remarkable innovation that includes the magazine.

Now regarding my mag adaptors, there's a reason why this isn't a big deal for them, but it's part of why the conversion to use the adaptor IS a big deal.

I have observed this as well. Part of why I describe the S-308 as a remarkable innovation that includes the magazine.

Now regarding my mag adaptors, there's a reason why this isn't a big deal for them, but it's part of why the conversion to use the adaptor IS a big deal.

I was looking at an M14 mags feedlips and was thinking of how they would never work given how short the feed lips are.

FAL mags look to be the best bet, specifically the inch-pattern ones. They're less work it looks like, due to the feed of the mags and the front catch on the L1a1 mags. They are almost Identical in this respect to the saiga mags. If the top length in the front were shortened past that vertical front groove, you could still retain enough material to mimic the guide on the saiga mag.

I ordered a few for experimentation.

Sig AMT mags look perfect, but are too long. I have a few, but they need a good deal of work. It would involve pressing a wide guide channel in both sides of the mag to shrink it lengthwise.

Too much trouble for what its worth. Plus, the mag is alloy so fuck all of that.

I have modified some galil mags that work very well, but it involved a horizontal cut right under the front catch to allow me to narrow the front of the mag while increasing the length of the catch area so it fit very nicely in the saiga magwell. Then I had to make a new catch for the back so the mag lever held it right. It was quite the pain in the ass for a ten round mag, but I was practicing for the work on a 25 rounder I have.

Oh well.

i am wondering if the yugo 308 mags will work I have seen a few for sale in the past but never bought them

What about PSL mags, 7.62x54? I have seen them for sale somewhere....even if they were lo cap and fit, they are steel.

Hmm.... PSL mags...

Well, for one they are 10 rounders only... so you arent really gaining much there... and they cost about $40 bucks each... so thats another strike...

I happen to have a PSL... and never really thought about whether they would fit a 308 round in the Saiga... Tonight when I get home I will check into that and report back...

I REALLY Doubt they will even be close, though... as to the length of the X54 Cartridge... 3 MM is 3MM... and usually in GUN terms... thats TOO MUCH...

:smoke:

any comments on the CETME mags?

The biggest problem I see is the way the front of the saiga mags reduce in width - stating the obvious.

I'm wondering if it wouldn't just be easier to fabricate the mag body from scratch and use base plates, followers and springs from some other cheap 20 round mag like the FALs...