can you "rebuild" parts into US made parts.

What I want to know is at what point if any can a part be rebuilt through a process of re-machining. The point I want to come to is that if I take a lump of metal removed from the ground in china and turn it into a part that is fine, if I make the part from a piece of bar stock from china it is still ok.

But what if I take the OEM part and put 10+ hours of work into it to make it work better, at what point can I say the part is no longer of the shelf or made in another country? I am not talking about rubbing a bit of steel wool on it, I am saying to lock it into a CNC machine and re-cut the edges, and then take many files to bring it to a perfect finish. I know many "MADE IN USA" items are made from blanks or unfinished parts from other countrys, so why not us?

I am asking because a friend of mine got in quite some trouble from doing something very similar without being in the right zoning for a "manufacturer". He was taking something apart and cleaning the edges and it was called manufacturing, so can one do the same and be 922® complaint?

Really? The ATF considers drilling a hole in a receiver to be "manufacturing."

The ATF also considers tying knots in a shoelace to be "manufacturing."

The ATF also considers "sporterizing" a military bolt action rifle to be "manufacturing."

And of course, if you customize a customer's gun "too much" (not further identified, naturally), then you are "manufacturing."

Alex

Actually, I think I saw a letter on gunco from the ATF about reworked stocks, and if there's enough work, it can be marked US. I'll see if I can find it.

It would be nice to know because I want to use the gun mostly stock but I can make the parts much better for free. I would buy new parts but I am only making a new stock (its not a PG either), but I would like to get something more for my time. If 40+ hours of work cleaning and reworking them a bit would also get me the ability to do what I want with my rifle that would be great.

As far as I know a part must be made completely in the US to be a considered a US made part from the beginning. Modified parts are considered foreign parts no matter how much work you put into them. Remember the BATF is NOT your friend. When a government agency says that a shoestring is a 'machine gun' then you have to beware of them. Read about that in JPFO's website.

The easy answer is to look at what is offered for aftermarket sale. I am not aware of any imported part that is reworked and then sold as "made in the US".

Personally, I like to have clearly marked items or receipts from suppliers.

The easy answer is to look at what is offered for aftermarket sale. I am not aware of any imported part that is reworked and then sold as "made in the US".

Personally, I like to have clearly marked items or receipts from suppliers.

I agree, I see many US compliance parts not marked made in US or the markings are painted on. I have some magazine floor plates and followers which say US but if I paint them the markings will disappear. Too bad they didn't stamp the steel instead of painting it on.