I might be the youngest and most inexperienced OWNER of a saiga 12 her

Congratulations on the graduation present. You have opened a Pandora's box with it, in a good way. ^_^ I have some limited knowledge and I'm sure the more seasoned experts can expound and correct the information.

You have the BHO concept correct.

The Halo can be used in conjunction with a scope, light, laser spotter, bipod, or vertical handgrip.

Far as I know there are no commercially available barrels. Guess a used one would work but they would be hard to come by. If the barrel is threaded you can attach chokes, flash hiders or muzzle brakes. None need be permanently attached as long as the barrel length is legal ( 18".) Don't know if this is entirely true for a brake as is some legal fuzziness of what the definition of a barrel attachment is in regards to 922r compliance, at least to me. Tromix can make an attachment whereby the welded choke is removed and an adapter can be permanently fixed that extends the length to legal and has a threaded end to allow attachments. The reason for flexibility is you may want to use different chokes depending on shooting preferences--trap, skeet, small game, slugs, etc.

The tool ideas are correct. These same kits come with all the Saigas and the only tool that is included that you cannot apply is the little bifurcated end of the screwdriver, whick is used for the vertical adjustment of an attached front sight block that can be placed on the barrel and is already on the Saiga rifles. There ae one or two other places in the gun that a drive pin punch can be used, e.g. on the gas piston rod.

Many folks use a red dot scope on the shottys and the EOTech is the high tech version with the projected holographic dot.

Like I said hope others will correct or amend this info. I see Aegis Dei has already posted while I was writing and I would look to his expertise. Hope it is useful.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. It feels good to be able to talk to some more experienced users of the Saiga. Ahz-Kah-Mih-Dah-Kah is how you say it, its a mixed up name from two japanese gaurdians who protected some princess I believe. Anyway im going to college here in Savannah GA for pre-pharamcy. LOL thanks to every one for the congrats for graduating. You should have seen my face when I opened the box.

I was looking at Tromix's OEM Flash hider and its pretty sick, ill have to get in touch with him when I get the money. Yeah about the price for the Halo Quadral. I didn't know it was that expensive :eek: , might have to get some other mods while I think about that one.

Yes the Halo rails are expensive, but if you are keenly interested they are taking preorders at halomfg@tmail.com for an introductory price of $240 versus their later market price of $270.

Loading a saiga with a full mag and the bolt closed is much harder than loading an empty mag with the bolt closed. The shells stick up and hit the bolt.

The bolt hold open keeps the bolt out of the way during mag changes. The current russian govt issue saiga12 has BHO and easier mag changes.

Right so first, the Bolt Hold Open plate that Jeric is selling, I understand that when you pull the bolt back and press the button upwards it locks the bolt open. But why is this a good thing?

First, welcome young man. Loading mags is 1000 times easier whan the bolt is locked back. Also, if you need to switch ammo (slug/buck/bird), you can simply lift yor finger to raise the BHO and squeeze off the shot on the last shot of the ammo you want to switch from and go to slidelock whenever you want so you have the bolt instantly locked back. Also, if you are in a match, or just funnin', you can count your rounds and lift the BHO on the last round for a lightning mag change (I recommend clamping your mags in pairs).

Again, welcome.

I guess I am the black sheep in the crowd. Even when using a gun with a BHO installed, I just cram the loaded mag in with the bolt closed. With the correct technique, it's really no problem.

Nope, I learned that technique on my S12 before you installed my BHO and I still do it even though I have one. It just takes some practice to get the technique down and then it's pretty easy. I can actually do it 2 different ways now, one with the gun in my left hand and rotated 90 degrees (on its side) and insert with my right hand and the other with the gun beign held in the right hand but in the normal shooting position and insert the mag with my left hand from underneath. Then again, I am only using a 5 rounder. I don't know how hard 8 rounders are to load.

Welcome to the board! And congrats on getting the gun. I'm 18 here as well. It looks like Aegis and the others have gotten you off to a good start. You've definitely stumbled upon an addiction here... (I'm broke of course). And don't worry about being inexperienced, it'll come pretty quickly! Just get out there and have some fun. :killer: Oh, and by the way Aegis, your gun's been getting a lot of excercise lately! :lolol:

Edited by Wizzie
Welcome to the board! And congrats on getting the gun. I'm 18 here as well. It looks like Aegis and the others have gotten you off to a good start. You've definitely stumbled upon an addiction here... (I'm broke of course). And don't worry about being inexperienced, it'll come pretty quickly! Just get out there and have some fun. :killer: Oh, and by the way Aegis, your gun's been getting a lot of excercise lately! :lolol:

Thanks for giving it a good home. It was born to be shot, and it loves to shoot, so everyone wins. :super: