AKM to Saiga conversion (yes, backwards)

(By my post count, I am obviously new here, but I have thousands of posts in other places arf.com calguns.net snipershide.com thr.net glocktalk, etc.

So, here is why I joined....

I know this would take a few minutes for someone to do, but is anyone here willing to give me some precise measurements (best you can do with calipers) for where the Saiga trigger pivot pin, the transfer arm pin, the triggerguard holes, and the trigger opening are in relation to the back, bottom, and top of the receiver (this last measurement obviously doesn't apply to the triggerguard holes and the trigger opening). OR, even better, if there is a schematic or blueprint for where the Saiga holes and cuts go on the receiver (I have seen the one that shows where the standard AKM holes are, but I don't need those).

My reason for needing these measurements is to convert a standard AKM receiver to a Saiga configuration (backward from what most people do...I know...but I have my reasons). Therefore, in order to drill the holes in the proper location for the moved back trigger assembly, I need thsoe measurements.

Someone mentioned to me that where the holes are to be drilled is very intuitive and not a critical dimension regarding sear disconnect b/c it is just a lever...is this correct? thanks.

for some reason the pics aren't showing up here, so here are the links to them.

i4.photobucket.com/albums/y136/ohsmily/modifiedtrigger-hammerpicii.jpg

i4.photobucket.com/albums/y136/ohsmily/triggerguardholespicii.jpg

Need measurements from the rear and from the bottom (and from the top to cross reference)

And also where the rear triggerguard hole would need to be drilled (in relation to the rear and sides of the receiver.

If this doesn't make sense, I will redraft or clarify it. :cryss:

Edited by ohsmily

Why not go out and find a nice AK hunter that will give you many of the things you want, other than a crappy long trigger like the 308 saiga has. It looks like a valmet hunter and doesnt cost much more to get than a standard ak(its the red hair step child of the chinese milled receiver family.

If you convert the standard akm receiver you will have to heat treat the additional axis pin holes in the side of the receiver since you will have to add them for the transfer trigger system too.

Edited by okie shooter

The manufacture of a trigger guard by someone with proper tools would be no problem. Buying scrap saiga conversion triggers that most people chuck would be no problem... Getting the holes to line up with proper tools, NO problem... and reworking/reverse engineering a rifle to saiga config... Again... should be no problem...

I am very curious as to the WHY of all this... but as to whether it can be done... all the parts are READILY and EASILY available.... for cheap... Thing is, though... you might have to contemplate 922R...

As you are building a rifle... even though it is already in sporter config... does 922R count if you go from an AK "evil" platform to an "acceptable sporter" platform??? I dont think that issue was ever addressed, or even whether it needs to be as the Saigas are already LEGAL in that fashion... I know you wouldnt want to stick a hi cap mag in it... as thats a no no... as it brings you into 922R problems...

Good luck with it, though... should be easily done...

:smoke:

Indy,

I am newer than Ohsmily, but know him from Calguns. To answer the why..... We here in the Peoples Republik of Kalifornia have found a way to have AK style rifles for awhile. Saiga rifles are already banned by name, but some AK receivers are not. We can create a Saiga where there was none, and still use AK mags if we owned them before the Cali ban.

Darin

PS anyone got a FCG from a 7.62 Saiga for sale????

Darin

The manufacture of a trigger guard by someone with proper tools would be no problem. Buying scrap saiga conversion triggers that most people chuck would be no problem... Getting the holes to line up with proper tools, NO problem... and reworking/reverse engineering a rifle to saiga config... Again... should be no problem...

I am very curious as to the WHY of all this... but as to whether it can be done... all the parts are READILY and EASILY available.... for cheap... Thing is, though... you might have to contemplate 922R...

As you are building a rifle... even though it is already in sporter config... does 922R count if you go from an AK "evil" platform to an "acceptable sporter" platform??? I dont think that issue was ever addressed, or even whether it needs to be as the Saigas are already LEGAL in that fashion... I know you wouldnt want to stick a hi cap mag in it... as thats a no no... as it brings you into 922R problems...

Good luck with it, though... should be easily done...

DUDE!!!!!

Thats AWESOME!!!! :up: :up:

Stick it to the man and right up his ASS!!!! FUCK YOU Kalifornia!!!!!! I love it!!! HAHAHAHAHA

I wish you guys the best in your builds!!!! Hope they all work out well for you!!!!

KICKASS!!!

I have recently done the conversion to the "evil" AK and I have all the parts that were cut out, removed and or not needed any more on the converted Saiga. All except the trigger guard, which was re-used. I have the orginial stock set as well. If you need or want any of these parts please let me know. I will have to put together the FCG, but it should all be there.

Let me know.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure glad I moved out of Commiefornia. I remember when I moved there 20 years ago there was a great gun store in Westminster which had Galils, Valmets, FN FALs, AK and all kinds of nice toys whic I regret not buying. After the 1989 ban they had the same guns with thumbhole grips but the anti gun Nazis continued banning even those. Arnold Schwartzenegger (the Nazi) who made millions in movies using guns feels that we shouldn't have the right to own them and banned the .50 cal rifles as if anyone would commit a crime with one of those rifles.

It bothers me to see in Shotgun News advertisers stating "Not for sale in California". This is bullshit, Californians are still part of the US and should be covered by the trampled Second Amendment which states: "The right of the people to bear arms shall NOT be infringed."

• 3 weeks later...

"I remember when I moved there 20 years ago there was a great gun store in Westminster which had Galils, Valmets,..."

uzitiger, you talking about that place right off Beach blvd, kinda looked like a big barn? I'm a transplanted Californian too.

I believe I have done a clean conversion or two so it can be done.

I happen to have a different idea for an AK sporter but it involves a few slightly more drastic changes. It does use a regular FCG though.

Hi, I'm new to this board as well. Would like to hear your idea.

I'm helping out a gunsnet member from Kalifornia who's doing this reverse conversion thing - sending him my buttstock and fcg for the price of the shipping. Figure why not? I'm not going to be using them and he needs em. Guess what? He's got a load of .308 stripper clips- I could use those, so he's going to send some to me.

That's the way its suposed to work :D

I have to say though, if for some reason I found myself stranded in Kaly, then I would store all of my AK's and other no-no rifles out of state and just shoot my SKS's - they are excellent rifles and the truth is that the AK doesn't really have much over them in practical terms.

I have to say though, if for some reason I found myself stranded in Kaly, then I would store all of my AK's and other no-no rifles out of state and just shoot my SKS's - they are excellent rifles and the truth is that the AK doesn't really have much over them in practical terms.

I live in Colorado also and have my toys there, but I wanted to compete in 3-gun in Kali and unless you were there prior to the ban, you can have an AR. I don't want to use a Kali AR that you have to unpin to reload 10 rounds.

I can convert a Romy or an AK74 kit to Saiga configuration and run that route.

eta: forgot to add. I was considering using one of my SKS's (non-GL type), but was advised against it for lack of speed in reloading. Non do I want to spend the money to buy a Mini14 and have it accurized.

Edited by lpspinner
  • 4 weeks later...
"I remember when I moved there 20 years ago there was a great gun store in Westminster which had Galils, Valmets,..."

uzitiger, you talking about that place right off Beach blvd, kinda looked like a big barn? I'm a transplanted Californian too.

I remember that place, just up the street from Newport Beach. I'd go in there to get reloading supplis when I was 14-15 years old. Right where Beach Blvd starts.