Info on 308 ammo

Well, still haven't tested fired my conversion, got to digging in my ammo bin and only found some reloads I had reloaded back in the mid-90's, decided to go stock up on some ball 308.

Went to the gunshop where I purchased my Saiga, and they had 308 ammo for $5 / 20 rounds , it looks good, in white box with the following on the headstamp.

SG 89 circle with crosshair stamp

What did I buy? And any commments on it too...Got 100 rounds just to start off with.

btw, dealer had an excellent(new) SAR-1 a guy had traded in on something, boy, it was immaculate, $395, but he would take $350 for it. It had blonde wood furniture, and straight gas block and sight. 30 round mag.

sunset_va

Well... I am not really sure about the SG-89 other than I would bet that the 89 is the year of manufacture...

The crosshair in the circle however...The "circle-cross" is the NATO symbol. It indicates that the ammo was loaded in a NATO-approved facility and meets the NATO specifications for that round. Note that NATO specifications are not the same as US military specifications and that many NATO-approved rounds do not meet US military specs. US military specs (such as M193 and M855) have additional requirements, such as minimum velocities, that the NATO specs (like SS-109) don't have.

SO... you have a NATO cartridge... so thats a good place to start... but I cant find any more data than that for you... sorry...

:smoke:

Hey thanks a lot, that helped, its more than I knew before I posted the question.

No kidding...thanks

sunset_va

Well... I am not really sure about the SG-89 other than I would bet that the 89 is the year of manufacture...

The crosshair in the circle however...The "circle-cross" is the NATO symbol. It indicates that the ammo was loaded in a NATO-approved facility and meets the NATO specifications for that round. Note that NATO specifications are not the same as US military specifications and that many NATO-approved rounds do not meet US military specs. US military specs (such as M193 and M855) have additional requirements, such as minimum velocities, that the NATO specs (like SS-109) don't have.

SO... you have a NATO cartridge... so thats a good place to start... but I cant find any more data than that for you... sorry...

:smoke:

I have seen this ammo recommended several times on different boards:

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/copy_of__308.html

A308SA.gif

Its the South African stuff made by PMP Pretoria Metal Pressings. I have a battle pack of this but haven't shot it yet - have shot a lot of the PMP comercial and its good stuff. And it'll save you a bunch - you are paying $250/1,000 right now - this is $168 for 980 rounds - plus shipping ($18ish).

Everybody needs some extra battle packs in stock! :D

Edited to correct typo.

Edited by O.S.O.K.
  • 4 weeks later...

hey i want to thank you for that link to AIM when i went to the gun shop they wanted $15.00 for 20 rnds. thankfully you left that link in less than a week i got a big f'n can of 7 battle packs, 980rds with shipping came to $193.00 they also have some good deals on weapons as well

the southafrican, along with all theold british empire stuff, is usually pretty good. when i wanna zero something, or not sure about a zero, or haven't fired something in a while, i will go to the s.a. stuff, and will know in l than 5 rounds or less , how close to zero i am.

hey i want to thank you for that link to AIM when i went to the gun shop they wanted $15.00 for 20 rnds. thankfully you left that link in less than a week i got a big f'n can of 7 battle packs, 980rds with shipping came to $193.00 they also have some good deals on weapons as well

Great! And yeah, I've bought many C&R guns from AIM - great people to work with.