Rifle finish info needed-which way to go

:unsure: I need your input people- I want /need to refinish my STG58 and thinking of redoing my AK's,L1A1 also. What is the best product to use in terms of durability vs $$ vs difficulty in doing it myself. Should I try duracoat or ?? I do not want any of that digital crap,just a solid color, and do I have to try to strip off the original paint,worn parkerizing, etc.

Thank's for the help and even though I know weapons,I have never refinished the metal parts or a whole gun,just the occasional rifle stock.post-2841-1152482248_thumb.jpgpost-2841-1152482292_thumb.jpg

I have been using parkerizing and gunkote for some time but I moved 1100 miles from my buddy with the parkerizing setup so I am searching for a new finish as well with several of my builds remaining in the white for the past year pending a descision on a new finish.

I hear everything from Stove Paint to Gunkote without the parkerizing under it to some weird chemical catalyst finishes.

I'm not familiar with Duracoat peronally but since there isn't an aerosol version of it like gunkote I'll just leave that one alone.

obviously degreasing before any refinishis essential,we have found that for the money brownells aluma hide 2 is a great bet. just spray it on after prep work, and it dries in 24 hours, now the key to it is restraint! let the firearm sit untouched for 2 to 3 weeks to let it cure completely. it is a very durable finish and rock hard. the nice thing is it is inexpensive, looks as good as costlier stuff, repels even the harshest cleaners and solvents, and can be mixed and matched in colors to make a great flecktarn camo or anyother camo pattern.

we've done about 50 saigas this way so far and not a complaint yet except in drying and curing time... now you can handle it in alot less time but we just let em dry...

you can increas its durability by spraying it straight over parkerizing, and its cheap about $10 a spray can, and buy the extra nozzles for your paints. all from brownells.

hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...

:super: Sorry I have not posted a reply earlier guys- THANK YOU ALL for the input on this,I am checking out all the options you guys listed and will just have to decide and give it a try.

Thank's again guys. I am fighting the local city hall over a REAL POS ordinance they have here about property owners having to maintain the CITY property parkway-BUNCH OF ARROGANT POS<MF's at city hall-this is a 30 YEAR OLD problem with my parents house-takes away from my job hunting time and everything else.