Problem with new 308, please help.

Well, long story short, i bought a new 308, and did the Pistol grip conversion, i swapped out the PG and added a Tapco 6 position stock, and the necessary parts to become 922 r legal, i swapped the gas piston, and the trigger, and hammer. My problem now is, i took it to the range to shoot, and was able to rack the slide to chamber a round, but when i fire the rifle, it does not come completely back, i.e. it does not eject the spent casing, and rechamber a new one, it is stock with the end of the case barely out of the chamber, i have to manually rack it back to eject and chamber a new round.

Any ideas as to the possible problem? Could i have botched anything? Thye conversion was fairly straight forward and easy except drilling out the pin holding the old piston in, but that was still fairly easy. Thanks ahead of time for anyhelp you guys can offer.

P.S. i'm in the Detroit Michigan area in case anyone locally wants to take a look at this pig.

Thanks,

Jason

Edited by Jason

Yeah, did you swap in a RSA or a G2 FCG? Sounds like it is binding. I'm just north of Flint if you cannot finger it out I'll take a peek. They're pretty straight forward. PM me... :up:

I know my VEPR needed hammer work - it has a G2. My S-308 has the RSA FCG and needs to be shimmed over so the hammer/trigger hooks don't bind.

What FCG are you using? I have heard that the RSA FCG needs some modification,but that the G2 works fine.

Other way around, the G2 hammer needs a little fitting, the VEPR RSA is a drop in.

Either one will be a bit narrow, and some people shim them to snug them up.

Compare the end of the new piston to your old one, and make sure you didn't get the wrong one for a 5.56. Could be the gas is bleeding past the piston.

Of course, we're all assuming you shot it before the conversion and it worked fine?

Well, i read the posts, and stripped down the rifle, and felt a binding when i racked the slide, but couldn'r pin it down, it felt like either the slide was hitting the FCG, which i could see the hammer moving a little, but deemed that normal and minimal, but when i put just the bolt in, and with bolt and carrier, it felt like it was binding when the gas piston was sliding into the port, and although it didn't look bent, it must have been, because i swapped the original one back in, and voila! It slides smoothly, so i believe the piston is bent, does anyone have any idea if Century has a warranty on their parts? I believe it is a century part, as i bought a kit at a gun show, with the PG/hammer/sear/trigger/piston.

The part numbers were KI504B for the kit, and PAAK0001/0073/0033/0037/0035, Any ideas?

Oh, and the hole in the sear/disconnector is smaller than the spring that is in the factory FCG, does anyone know where to get a smaller spring? As the century part actually would fit tighter side to side, with no slop, although i have heard of problems with slop with the century parts?

Thanks again for the help fella's, this board has done me wonders with my new Saiga.

Jason

What FCG are you using? I have heard that the RSA FCG needs some modification,but that the G2 works fine.

Other way around, the G2 hammer needs a little fitting, the VEPR RSA is a drop in.

Compare the end of the new piston to your old one, and make sure you didn't get the wrong one for a 5.56. Could be the gas is bleeding past the piston.

Of course, we're all assuming you shot it before the conversion and it worked fine?

O.S.O.K reported minor fitting issues with the RSA FCG for his Saiga-308.I was under the impression that the RSA is not a drop in FCG for the Saiga converted rifles.

O.S.O.K reported minor fitting issues with the RSA FCG for his Saiga-308.I was under the impression that the RSA is not a drop in FCG for the Saiga converted rifles.

Yep, the first one I installed needed a little trimming - nothing big though and was basically drop-in otherwise. The second one hung-up on the rear trigger guard rivet (inside), so I had to grind the rivet head down - then it was fine. Both have a little side-to-side but that cuases no problem.

Sounds like the replacement piston is a little longer or the head might be a tad larger in diameter...

Well, i read the posts, and stripped down the rifle, and felt a binding when i racked the slide, but couldn'r pin it down, it felt like either the slide was hitting the FCG, which i could see the hammer moving a little, but deemed that normal and minimal, but when i put just the bolt in, and with bolt and carrier, it felt like it was binding when the gas piston was sliding into the port, and although it didn't look bent, it must have been, because i swapped the original one back in, and voila! It slides smoothly, so i believe the piston is bent, does anyone have any idea if Century has a warranty on their parts? I believe it is a century part, as i bought a kit at a gun show, with the PG/hammer/sear/trigger/piston.

The part numbers were KI504B for the kit, and PAAK0001/0073/0033/0037/0035, Any ideas?

Oh, and the hole in the sear/disconnector is smaller than the spring that is in the factory FCG, does anyone know where to get a smaller spring? As the century part actually would fit tighter side to side, with no slop, although i have heard of problems with slop with the century parts?

Thanks again for the help fella's, this board has done me wonders with my new Saiga.

Jason

What was your reason for replacing the piston?Was it to meet the required parts count?I avoid all century parts when ever possible.You can learn a lot reading these threads.

Yeah, i replaced it because of the 10 part requirement, but took it out, and would like to find either a smaller spring, or have the sear drilled out to fit the original spring. I got some of the FBMG mags on the way, so i think i should be safe on the part count, as i have US-trigger/hammer/PG/Stock, and will be adding the sear when possible, and then the mags, and am looking into having a muzzle break welded onto the barrel, or probably the FSG actually.

Thanks for the help fella's.

Maybe later i will buy the G2 FCG, but the kit i bought was a steal of a deal, and wanted to do the conversion, i'll redo it later after funds become more available, the wife is already on my butt about recent purchases, this Saiga, a Savage 10fp, my Armalite M15A2, and my Sig Sauer 226R, and a Sig 229, all since last august. I've been spoiling myself alittle bit....LOL