Ammo problem with 308.

I have a problem with my 22" 308. When I load up the mag to full capacity, the bolt won't ride up over the first round. I have to hold the bolt back, insert the mag, then release the bolt. Though when I did this with 8 rounds in the mag, round one chambered and fired. The bolt came back and the bolt tore the h*ll out of the round in the magazine below it and jamed up the rifle. Imagine taking a round of ammo and a knife and peeling the round, this is that the 2nd round looked like. I'll have to post a photo of it later. When I load 5 into the mag, the bolt still likes to scratch up the round on the top. However, it is not that bad.

What I want to know is why the gun is tearing apart my ammo when the mag is loaded to capacity. I had previously only loaded rounds 1 at a time into the chamber for sighting in the rifle and only now stated using the magazine to hold ammo. I am using FL sized once fired brass with a 152 grain bullet over a 40 grain charge of 4895, this is a starting load in my reloading manual. (I use less powder and save $ by just using starter loads.) Could the problem be the fact that the spring in the factory mag is overly strong or what? Will the new 20 rounders have this problem? I searched the forum and all brass problems seem to involve brass getting dented on ejection and not getting torn up while in the magazine.

/Thanks for the help.

try cutting a couple coils out of the spring?

(the magazine spring, that is)

edit: i guess i shoud have read your post more carefully. yes, the 8 rounders are wayyyy oversprung. you can definitely afford to lose a few coils without a problem. in fact, i bet the spring from the 8 rounder would be enough for a 20 rounder. lol.

Edited by 44rdv4rk
  • 2 weeks later...

AHHH MAG spring. I have had no problems with mine (after a few jamming issues that I solved by "file to get most perfect fit" as it said on the instructions). Someone once posted here that by using the spring and follower from a Gallil mag, the S-.308 8rd. mags hold 12. I can't say, but the springs will most likely work.

• 2 weeks later...
I have a problem with my 22" 308. When I load up the mag to full capacity, the bolt won't ride up over the first round. I have to hold the bolt back, insert the mag, then release the bolt. Though when I did this with 8 rounds in the mag, round one chambered and fired.

What I want to know is why the gun is tearing apart my ammo when the mag is loaded to capacity.

/Thanks for the help.

Am I understanding you correctly? When you let go of the bolt the round chambered and the gun fired on its own!!!

If so that's what I'd be worried about!!

Has this happened to others?

• 1 month later...