Flash hider/brake mod to fit questions

Just thinking out loud right now. I'm looking for something close to a Dragunov style flash hider to fit 14mm LH threads (longer and thinner than my AK 74 brake). Global trades has something made to fit, but looks to be out of stock. I was wondering if anyone has a source, or if nothing else, I'm always up for a project.

Does anyone happen to know the diameter of a FAL or M14 barrel, those were two candidates I was looking at if they have enough material to machine out and thread. (M14 would be for a Ishapore Enfield that I threaded the barrel on so the front sight would be O.K.).

While I'm running on, seems to be a lot of interest in putting hiders/brakes on Saiga .308's. What diameter is the barrel on one of those and does it taper.

I'll take any comments on any, or all the above. Here's a picture of a M14, if you could get away with not using the barrel nut by threading the end, or installing a threaded insert, the side openings might be able to be cut to resemble those on an AK74 without the mass, but the sight might look out of place?

post-1866-1155608391.jpg

post-1866-1155608410.jpg

Edited by 6500rpm

Heres the one I think you want... I have TWO already on order, they are currently out of stock, but they said "you should have them in hand in a couple weeks" so we will see... :lol:

Price was a bit steep... but I LOVE the look and they are 14X1LH threaded already... so they are perfect... *AND* They are "airsoft"... Translate that as "ORIGINAL Military weapon part sold under a perfectly LEGAL name and pasttime"... LOL I love loopholes! hahahahaha

http://www.21stcenturyairsoft.com/details/AK02

Or you can check their site... they got tons of other FH/brakes for sale... :up:

Hope that helps!

:smoke:

As far as heat treating goes... NO, they dont need to be.

I have purchased several FAL brakes from tapco... as well as some AK74 brakes from someone else.. (AA-OK I think.. but maybe not...) all of them I have put in the lathe and machined them to do what I needed as far as working on what they werent designed to work on.. and *NONE* of them were more than mild steel. They really dont have much force acting on them... they just direct gasses...

Those brakes from the airsoft place are steel... all of the others sold there are steel as well.

I honestly believe that they are military surplus or at least real firearms grade, and sold as "airsoft" as it is what these airsoft guys want. Not to mention, as "airsoft" products they arent regulated like military items COULD be... As I told 6500RPM... I bought some "AIRSOFT" rings for a 30MM scope on my .50 BMG... yeah.. imagine that... Well, come to find out when they arrived, they are *EXACTLY* the same rings sportsmans guide was selling for rifles at a few dollars MORE... Accushot Premium rings. They arent "MADE EXCLUSIVELY" for airsoft... its just that the airsoft guys want "realism" so they buy real parts to customize their guns so they FEEL real...

I personally have 2 of these brakes on order... If I get had, I am going to be out $100.00+

I believe I will get a good enough brake to stick on my rifles. :up:

Lets just hope I am not mistaken.

:smoke:

Well, Mr Impatient here put in an order and it was back-ordered the next day with no available fill date. But being the jackass that I am, I ordered a lot of 10 FAL five slot flash hiders that look close. The last inch or so is about 14.6mm inside diameter, but it looks smaller past that. If I get a chance tonight I'll chuck one up in the lathe and cut it down and see if its good for threading (I have a 14mm-1lh tap and die). Anyone that wants one to play with on your own for whatever reason, I'll have several to part with and can silica blast to the white (these are good used FAL flash hiders). I'll also hve several other things I'll post in the F.S. section in a few days from past projects, some new, some used.

Oh yeah, I was thinking about the whole heat treat thing and I tend to think any decent made metal flash hider will probably work. I've seen cheap plastic hiders for 12ga shot guns and aluminum ones for rifles. The only thing that makes me nervous at all is one is going on a 7.62x51 and I have no clue what kind of barrel pressure is generated at the end of the barrel. If I end up picking out small peices of metal from my skin one day I'll be sure to let you all know I was a dumas.

post-1866-1156195571_thumb.jpg

Edited by 6500rpm