Is there a trick to prevent plastic hull deformation?

B)-->

QUOTE(G O B @ Aug 21 2006, 06:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

2 3/4' steel=3' plastic. the plastic 3' measure 2 3/4 before firing.

I knew that much, since the magazine itself will technically only hold like a 2.85" shell or something. I've measured it before and it's not a full 3" if I remember. Like you said, any 3" refers to the hull at what I would imagine is the length after it's fired and unloaded. Are you saying that with a steel hull, they actually label them at what they are AFTER they're all loaded and folded? As in a box of 2.75" Barnaul 00 Buck would actually be a length of 2.75" all folded, crimped, and ready to go?

If that's the case I'll just gunbroker a box of that or Wolf or something and be good to go.

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(G O B @ Aug 21 2006, 06:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

2 3/4' steel=3' plastic. the plastic 3' measure 2 3/4 before firing.

I knew that much, since the magazine itself will technically only hold like a 2.85" shell or something. I've measured it before and it's not a full 3" if I remember. Like you said, any 3" refers to the hull at what I would imagine is the length after it's fired and unloaded. Are you saying that with a steel hull, they actually label them at what they are AFTER they're all loaded and folded? As in a box of 2.75" Barnaul 00 Buck would actually be a length of 2.75" all folded, crimped, and ready to go?

If that's the case I'll just gunbroker a box of that or Wolf or something and be good to go.

I got some Russian copper washed 12gs ammo and it wouldn't fit in my Saiga magazines so it got tossed and I started making my own:)

SOPMOD - I know the russian ammo you speak of. in what way didnt it fit into the mag? the stuff I saw was 2.75" or so.....

and BY THE WAY - if anyone wants to bash anything I say, go for it. I can take it. unlike other forums, we dont ban you for disagreeing with the mods.

I bought a bunch of the Barnaul Zinc plated Steel cased 3in 00

Since when did Barnaul make steel cased 3"? Anything I've ever found has been 2.75".

I'm thinking back when I ordered it.....maybe two or three years ago. I thought it was advertised as 3in 12 or 15 pellet....I really can't remember....the box is all metric numbers and doesn't state pellet count. These shells are longer than any of my domestic 3in mag shells by maybe an 1/8 inch...eyeballing it... So that's what I based my statement on. They maybe 2 3/4 loads in 3 inch hulls but that I don't think either...they have a good kick to them. But this I know for sure MY converted saiga don't like that stuff...

Any of you senior members remember the guy that lived in the Florida Everglades that posted the pics of the Saiga that he had fitted into the bullpup stock? He posted pics of his solution to the deformation problem. What he did was he used epoxy to "fill-in" the front of the shell-the area in front of the disk. The epoxy hardened and provided strength to the front of the shell, this kept it from deforming and upon firing, the epoxy was supposed to be expelled just like/along with the disk. He also noted to NOT use this method on the crimped shotgun shells, ONLY use it on the shells with the disk in the front, sush as S&B(Sellior and Bellot). The crimped shells can't expand properly when the epoxy is used-potentially dangerous. I don't know if this process works or is safe, but it might be something to try, just thought I'd throw it out here for discussion. I might have pics saved if anyone wants to see them. I'd have to dig them up, let me know-AKATTACK

Shotgun shell are in"trade" sizes, like lumber. The size in length is the fired length. However that does not apply to metal hulls, as they are not crimped or folded. The length of plastic (and paper) shells varies considerably.

I remember something about using hotglue or epoxy to "firm" up the top shell. Like'Vamp says don't do it to crimped shells. If you are using a full choke and can re-crimp a shell, you might try a dime just behind the crimp.

Or metal hulls.