I can't find anything that tells me one can't legally own a 10 round magazine for a Saiga shotgun. According to the site Bvamp linked..a magazine holding more than 10 rounds is considered post ban assault-ish. Anyone have other thoughts?

Edited by NedPepper

I brought it up a while back that there is no limit on shotgun detachable magazine capacity, but someone pointed out that it is illegal to import a shotgun mag that holds more than five rounds. If someone made the 8rd mags in the US, they'd be legal to own!

yeh, importing a shotgun mag that holds more than 5 rounds is illegal, but like i said, you can just have the sender block it up to accept 5 rounds. fear if you dare to take the block out and clip it to your gun. that is two seperate felonies if I have my information correct.

WHERE IS THE DAMNED LAW?

Illegal to import a mag over 5rd? Never heard it. As far as I know, it's a business decision by EAA.

Break another law by inserting it?

FIND THE DAMNED LAW, after you find the first one.

I'm really tired of this "yes it is" "no it isn't" crap

And no posting links as evidence that actually do not say what you're claiming they say.

I'll second the notion, post your source.

Nothing personal, but I can find experts on every site that know something. We are ON THE INFORMATION SUPERHIGHWAY here, so let's stick with documented information.

I'm still trying to understand all of the law (it reads like molassas), but I've yet to find a something that applies to Saiga mags or detachable mag limits.

Unfortunately, the other fact (I can't prove this :haha: ) is that no one sells them, so either there is an agreement that is not publicized, or it is too grey for dealers to want to mess with, or it doesn't make business sense to dealers or whatever. This is bad news as it MAY mean that hicaps are not going to be available after the ban either. Or maybe the overly conservative importers will figure the coast is clear. Time will tell, and it won't be long now.

IMO, YMMV, IIRC, etc etc etc

• 3 months later...

It is illegal to attach a magazine of greater than 5 rounds to your Saiga. This has nothing to do with the recently expired ban. I refer to the '89 importation ban:

A shotgun having a magazine capacity of more than 5 shells is prohibited from importation as a sporting firearm under Title 18 United States Code (U. S. C.), 925(d)(3). Therefore it is a violation Title 18, U. S. C. 922 ® to assemble such a shotgun from imported parts as provided in Title 27, Code of Federal Regulations (CFR), Part 479 (formerly Part 178) 478.39.

This does not apply if you have exempted your shotgun from 922r by using enough US parts.

Thanks C3. I don't doubt that you could be right. But, Here is the verbaige that I have from 925

(3)

is of a type that does not fall within the definition of a firearm as defined in section 5845(a) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 and is generally recognized as particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes, excluding surplus military firearms, except in any case where the Attorney General has not authorized the importation of the firearm pursuant to this paragraph, it shall be unlawful to import any frame, receiver, or barrel of such firearm which would be prohibited if assembled; or

So, Can anyone show where the ATF has stated publically that magazines of 5 or fewer rounds = sporting, 8 rounds <> sporting?

Opening this up out of the magazine question, can anyone show where their is a public declaration that pistol grips <> sporting or that folding stocks <> sporting.

I'll concede the flash suppressors and the bayo lugs as not being sporting, but have they publically stated that?

If not, it might behove all to configure as you want, document your possession, and then if they do declare in the future, you can show that your ownership predated their interpretation.

Hm, I don't know. My quote came from an ATF response via letter to another member here (USMC_LB) and it was specifically about the Saiga12 and 5+ round magazines. I wish I could find the original post--it's here on the forums somewhere, because USMC_LB goes into more detail.

• 1 month later...