Anybody hunt with their S20?

I'm currently using a Browning OU for Dove hunting, and am looking at possibly getting an S20 instead. Does anyone have any advise good or bad on using the S20?

The advantage of an O/U is that you get to have two different chokes which gives you maximum versatility at two different distances. With a Saiga you'll only have a single choke so you'll be disadvantaged. The advantage of a Saiga is the ability to spray massive amounts of lead. But in hunting there are often rules against this so you'd be better suited with an O/U with two different choke tubes.

If you choose to use a Saiga you can alter your pattern based on shot-size-- the bigger the shot (smaller the number) the less it will spread. Thus, for far shots you'd want to use something like a #2,3,4 and nearer you'd want 5,6,7,8. I wouldn't go above 8 even if it does spread more simply b/c it gets to a point where the shot is so dispersed you will just be punching holes without killing. Even with the variance in shot size, I'd suggest ~modified choke as it will tighten all of your patterns which will help with hunting.

To demonstrate this point, were I hunting birds I'd load my chamber with a #8 round, then the top round in the magazine would be #5, and the second round would be a #3. This will let you startle the dove and get an upclose dispersed shot, if you miss with that the #5 will hold somewhat tightly as the dove flies away, and the #3 will be tighter yet allowing for a last ditch effort. You may be able to get more than 3 shots on one bird, but I think usually that's all that's allowed to meet hunting capacity restrictions.

The Saiga's more than accurate enough to hunt with, and with the right choke and shot size it's versatile enough too. If you're quick with your trigger finger and low on the recoil you can double tap at a bird with a Saiga and basically ensure some of the lead will take it down. But hunting is more finesse than raw lead, so I'd say just hit it on the first shot and hope that altering the shot size will give you enough versatility to allow you to occasionally miss.

I'm currently using a Browning OU for Dove hunting, and am looking at possibly getting an S20 instead. Does anyone have any advise good or bad on using the S20?

From what my Saiga 20 has done so far Im sure it will be awesome on game. Just check your state's game laws i.e. in my state, you have to have the gun plugged where you cant fire more than 3 rounds when hunting migratory fowl... Needless to say :lolol: the Saiga magazine fed shotgun would be a no go.

They work great!! :up:

post-2093-1156887764_thumb.jpg

Rem or Win Chokes are the way to go. $70-$100 at a good gunsmith.

Hey, if you miss with the first shot, just take a 2nd...or 3rd...or 4th...or 5th...etc.

Mine works great for skeet/trap.

3" ammo gives you a similiar load to a light 12 gauge round.

Get you some nice wood furniture for the range so it looks more uppity!

post-2093-1156888105_thumb.jpg

I have hunted a lot with mine... search the 20 gauge section for any of my posts relating to that for much more info... I have also done a lot of hunting with my Saiga 410 too... that is magical when it comes to bunnies!

:smoke:

in my state, you have to have the gun plugged where you cant fire more than 3 rounds when hunting migratory fowl... Needless to say the Saiga magazine fed shotgun would be a no go.

You can easily block a Saiga mag for hunting regs.

Of course you are right but still, a magazine fed shotgun could be considered quicker to reload with only a mag change so if the game wardens see it they could make a case of that either way. It would certainly be wiser to ask because the magazine fed shotgun is not a popular item; even if it is ok I would make DAMN sure I only had one magazine and no other on me or in the vehicle because they will say you are trying to be slick and bust yo *.

I wouldnt think it would make ANY difference how many magazines you had with you... as long as they are ALL BLOCKED TO A 2 ROUND CAPACITY.... YOU ARE LEGAL! no different than a plug in a tube fed shotty blocking it to two round capacity... I could pump 2 rounds into a tube pretty damn fast... probably faster than swapping out magazines... wouldnt I be slick?

fuck the game warden if he doesnt like a box magazine, its not his job to like or dislike anything, his job is to make sure you are LEGAL... and if you are... "Have a nice day sir, thank you for your time." You shouldnt even need to worry.

What does "speedy reloads" or "being slick" have to do with obeying the law? Legal is legal... Least thats the way I see things... I guess your state laws may be different, and Legal is not legal if the game warden wants to pretend that legal is not legal... to be a dick... Still in court, legal should return back to legal again... Well, I guess your state may differ there too... who knows...

I wouldnt think it would make ANY difference how many magazines you had with you... as long as they are ALL BLOCKED TO A 2 ROUND CAPACITY.... YOU ARE LEGAL! no different than a plug in a tube fed shotty blocking it to two round capacity... I could pump 2 rounds into a tube pretty damn fast... probably faster than swapping out magazines... wouldnt I be slick?

fuck the game warden if he doesnt like a box magazine, its not his job to like or dislike anything, his job is to make sure you are LEGAL... and if you are... "Have a nice day sir, thank you for your time." You shouldnt even need to worry.

What does "speedy reloads" or "being slick" have to do with obeying the law? Legal is legal... Least thats the way I see things... I guess your state laws may be different, and Legal is not legal if the game warden wants to pretend that legal is not legal... to be a dick... Still in court, legal should return back to legal again... Well, I guess your state may differ there too... who knows...

All I was saying is that it could be a problem. Yes, in my state conservationists can be dicks and even if the court would make things right who the heck wants to go through that. I should have just said checks the laws. :ded: My bad; wont happen again.

Hanzo... I am not trying to irritate you... my beef is against the shit for brains conservation officers that would harass you... Dont stop your opinions, and certainly do not stop excersizing your CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS to have with you LEGAL FIREARMS and related equipment!!!

If that were the way it is around here, I would go out of my way to INTENTIONALLY bring a mag blocked saiga hunting as often as possible... to irk the fucktards that need to stop being judgmental, and just DO THEIR JOBS!

Luckily... the DEC officers here ( I know all the regional ones) are very in touch with what is legal and not legal, and whether you have a double, a single shot or a blocked box mag shotgun, they wont say SQUAT *UNTIL* they catch you doing something in violation of the law, not just their whim... They are a DECENT bunch of guys... and do their jobs well... not according to someones politics or beliefs... But then again, they are all hunters and sportsmen too... and would be just as willing to have a Saiga in THEIR HANDS as any other firearm... :up:

Hanzo... no disrespect intended towards you or your response... and I am sorry if it came across that way... I just hate how some LEO's try to push their own beliefs upon those they are supposedly sworn to protect and serve...

Hanzo... I am not trying to irritate you... my beef is against the shit for brains conservation officers that would harass you... Dont stop your opinions, and certainly do not stop excersizing your CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS to have with you LEGAL FIREARMS and related equipment!!!

If that were the way it is around here, I would go out of my way to INTENTIONALLY bring a mag blocked saiga hunting as often as possible... to irk the fucktards that need to stop being judgmental, and just DO THEIR JOBS!

Luckily... the DEC officers here ( I know all the regional ones) are very in touch with what is legal and not legal, and whether you have a double, a single shot or a blocked box mag shotgun, they wont say SQUAT *UNTIL* they catch you doing something in violation of the law, not just their whim... They are a DECENT bunch of guys... and do their jobs well... not according to someones politics or beliefs... But then again, they are all hunters and sportsmen too... and would be just as willing to have a Saiga in THEIR HANDS as any other firearm... :up:

Hanzo... no disrespect intended towards you or your response... and I am sorry if it came across that way... I just hate how some LEO's try to push their own beliefs upon those they are supposedly sworn to protect and serve...

Thats cool, bro I didnt mean to come off as a goody-two-shoes.

There are many bored LEO here in MS that will bust your * if you arent savvy.

Edited by Hanzo
Can you Get Chokes for the Saiga-20 that can be easily taken off, for instance a screw in choke?

Yes you can. You have to get your bbl threaded on the inside first though.

Another more cool option IMO is to send it off to Tromix for a ported Polychoke. Looks and works like a like a flash hider but is quickly adjustable from cyl to extra full. :super:

If you want to hunt birds with your S-20 you will need a 2 rd mag (at least that's the law in my state, only three shells alowed in the gun).

They don't make a two rd mag for the S-20 but I just started making and selling mag capacity limiters that you can install quickly and easily and can be taken back out if you want to target practice. I have them for all guages and mag sizes so you can only fit 2 shells in your 5, 8, or 10 rd mags and really get the wildlife officer's goat if he tries to bust you for using a hi cap for hunting game birds. :killer:

Lemme know if you want any.

Only 5 bucks a pop including shipping or $4 ea if you get three or more. :smoke:

I have not gotten a Saiga 20 yet but I'm trying to convince my dad to get me one, (hence 13 in Hunter13). I really like the idea of the polychoke. What should I tell him, I'm trying to be really convicing that it is a good choice of shotgun for me.

Since we don't really have the money at the time for a Benelli Montefeltro (1100 +) http://www.benelliusa.com/firearms/montefeltro.tpl

The Saiga is the next best thing...

And no thanks cobra we don't have any restrictions on how many shells your shotgun can hold.

You should tell him it is *THE BEST* Semiauto shotgun for the money on the planet, HANDS DOWN!

It will outshoot pretty much ALL OTHER semi-auto's... and has almot zero recoil.

For the price, you WILL NOT find a better value in a shotgun!

• 4 months later...