Bumping The Saiga12

Well, I have been trying to get a good bump out of my Saiga12 for months now, and it just isnt happening. I tried 2 3/4" max slug loads, too much recoil to even think about doing it, so I tried skeet loads. What happened is the picture that follows. It seems either the recoil-trigger pull concept causes it to malfunction, or my technique of bumping hasnt translated correctly from my pistol grip weapons to one with a regular stock....anyone have any ideas or similar problems? These rounds DID work 100% fine from the shoulder, as well as a solid hip stance.

post-2-1087170472.jpg

I tried both settings. works fine from the shoulder, but no bump. I am TRYING to find a lower recoil load to bump with. I have tried three different skeet loads so far. I CAN bump max dram slugs, but that is just plain crazy. Im going to have to get my reloader going I can see and load myself up some different powder/shot combinations. I had figured it was the lesser charges, and I am still unsure. Do you guys think it could be the lack of a pistol grip?

Bvamp-You probably need a lighter spring to compensate for reciever motion when bump-firing.Im not into the whole bumpfire thing,but as an intellectual curiosity......

G O B

well, first Im either getting lead-embedded wood for it, or filling it with nails or steel rod and foam...I dont want to touch springs for the most part. Maybe clean up the trigger some is about it for mine I think.

Edited by Bvamp

That was a real Saiga "Where's Waldo"! :D I had to scan the picture to identify that half hidden and partly blurred can. But it is unmistakable. :rolleyes: Were the Marlboros also added for the artistic content in the photo? :lol:

BrianW :)

Edited by BrianW

Like I have mentioned before, the one time I tried bumping my Saiga 12, I was able to bump all 6 rounds (5+1) w/o any problem. But it was really hard to hold onto. I was using gas setting 1 w/ Federal 2 3/4" #8 target shells (Wal-Mart value pack). Mine cycles all ammo w/o any problem on gas setting 1, even low power shells.

hartzpad, yeh mine gobbles up anything I put through it on setting 1. Im thinking it is a combination of the too-light gun, along with my technique itself, as well as very light shells. Ill either reload a few sets at different shot/powder weights, or just go buy a couple single boxes of different brands/load sizes. I am almost positive adding weight to my stock will fix the problem. The reason I am so damn concerned about being able to bump a shotgun, is merely for the fact that I like how the action responds for rapid fire or multiple skeet, and being able to get a good bump will mean cleaner and faster follow up shots done the normal way. I dont know how many of you have actually shot a 3" magnum max slug load from your shoulder, but it does hurt with this gun. Making it heavier will alleviate part of that, at least, as well as help the thing to bump.

also, hartzpad, about the cyclic rate you achieved....what would you say it was? 1/2 a second for the 6 shells?