Finally shot my .308 today!

Wow what a beauty for such a beast! That factory wood stock and recoil pad make the recoil almost non existant! I shot my 7.62 x 39 right after and there wasn't much difference. That one even has wood furniture and a real Bulgie brake on it. I expected a LOT more kick from the .308! Last time I fired a rifle with that much bore it was a Remy 300 mag bolt gun and it was a punisher. Shot a 16 oz pop bottle with that at 300 yds. I hope I can get that kind of accuracy from this baby as soon as I get my optics dialed in. Right now I'm havin trouble with my new mount... :angry:

The rear of the scope sits WAY off to the right and the front is about centered. Had to adjust the elevation all the way down and the windage all the way to the left and it still isn't even close. :killer:

The mount is a BP-02 low mount from Belarus and the scope is 6.5 - 20 x 50 Barska. I bought it used off this board not long ago with an Aimpoint reflex sight. Maybe it's been dropped or something? It doesn't show any signs of abuse but I just took the scope off and held a yardstick alongside the rail and it does not line up with the bore. :cryss:

Put a long piece of pipe in the rings and tweak by hand or just shim the rings with little pieces of beer can.

I've seen some variance on the mount that's on the side of the receiver while moving a scope/mount from one gun to another.

I have that 6.5-20x50mm Barska on my savage .17hmr - 1/8MOA clicks? Nice scope! Especially for the price.

I continuously sing the praises of the barska optics... I think you will love it... even if it winds up on something else...

I would try the rail/pipe tweak as mentioned... just NOT ON THE RIFLE! :lol: LOL

You can also unscrew the base screws and shim it there, too... instead of trying to shim the rings.

Good luck...

Did you bother to shoot it with just the irons? Or scoped only?

:smoke:

I have that same mount on my S-308. The windage was off pretty good. I used the aluniminum can shim idea. That got me on but I am maxed out on left adjustment. Granted The only place I've been able to shoot is 25 yards. If I need to adjust more I'm gonna get some Millet windage adjustable rings and give that a try.

Doug

Well I was messing with it while ago and discovered the rings that came with another scope I recently bought and had used on this one are windage adjustable :rolleyes:

I got it "on paper" at 200 yds (luckily with the first shot) just shooting from my back deck across the pond at the waterline on an island. Unfortunately the first shot also popped the rear screw loose where I had shimmed it up about 1/16" with a washer to correct the elevation problem. I'll be stopping by the local hardware store tomorrow for some longer metric screws.