can I take two and make one?

Ahhh...or don't. Fred isn't that interested in doing any more of these, as they are a pain in the ass and take time away from the rest of his gunsmithing projects. Expecially since his right hand idiot got deployed to the Middle East (again) ;)

There are clear instructions on how to perform the Frankenmag trick right here on the forum. I've built up a dozen or so of these damn things with Fred, and while endlessly tedious it really isn't all that hard.

Alex

Ahhh...or don't. Fred isn't that interested in doing any more of these, as they are a pain in the ass and take time away from the rest of his gunsmithing projects. Expecially since his right hand idiot got deployed to the Middle East (again) ;)

There are clear instructions on how to perform the Frankenmag trick right here on the forum. I've built up a dozen or so of these damn things with Fred, and while endlessly tedious it really isn't all that hard.

Alex

Can somebody post to these instructions?

Ok it does. I think i might have popped something inside of it though. After I made the weld around the outside of the mag i was left with some low areas. So with my soldering iron not quite working up to par. I had an idea. I took an old punch that I broke long ago. I locked it up in a set of Vise Grips. I the heated up the flat part of the handle with a mapp gas torch. I heated the handle a dull glowing red. I then used it to iron out all the high spots. It looks a million times better. Now my wife is pissed because the basement smells like burning hair. Well tommorow I will take the left overs and make a two round mag. Thanks for all the very good information

SAIGAMADDNESS004.jpg

The finished product. No paint, no epoxy filler, and no filing. The white looking parts, in reality are just shiney. It caught the flash. I'm very happy with it. It holds eight. Now to find more five round mags. :super:

Thanks again

Edited by 762minigun

Nice weld job! Looks great but have you tried it yet to make sure it will feed? The feed angle on that top shell looks too low. It may want to dive and get caught on the bottom of the breech instead of going into the pipe. When you make an extended mag like that for a rimmed shotgun shell it needs to have some curve to it to allow for the stacking of the shell rims. You want the top shell to have an upward angle so it feeds up into the top of the breech. Compare that one to a regular five rdr and see what I mean.

Actually strength isn't much of an issue. When you melt the two adjoining faces togethger they fuse, fibres and all, it's almost like one solid piece when done right.

You are very correct. I fubared my "two round" mag. It ended up holding a very tight three. I had to take it apart to re-do it. I could not break the weld. So I ended up recutting it with a saw. When i had three sides cut I was able to snap the last uncut weld. I went to weld it back together, got in to big of a hurry. Now it holds none. I will re -do it again latter on. The workshop needs to breathe a little, it smells much like burning hair when you do this weld. The wife was pissed the first time i did this.

Edited by 762minigun

Nice work! :up:

I got an extra tip for my butane iron and ground a flat on it. I get the seams very flat using that. 100% plastic, no filler. Much faster too. I usually hit the seam with my belt sander (180 grit) then paint for appearance.

They are very rigid, I've never had a failure with them. Like Cobra said, if you do it right, you are swirling the fibers around making the joint strong. You should be able to squeeze the sides in and have it flex, but not crack.

Look at the internal follower rails and keep a continuous arc. The S-12's are deceiving by the external profile. Keep your face out of the polymide smoke too, use a fan. That shit will make you :wacko: !!

I got me some work to do myself... :devil:

post-2093-1160187732_thumb.jpg

edited to add:

^^^Those are mainly S-20 mags BTW^^^

Edited by dinzag

Keep practicing and you will become a Russian plastique putty artist :smoke:

I was milling slots in a handguard (forearm) the other day and got into some serious turbulence when I tried to go too deep one time. The damned endmill vibrated loose in the drill press and started wallowing around and dancing in the hole fucking it all up and making me go OH SHIT! :o

I hit the kill switch real quick and unlocked the arm at the same time and the press went up leaving the end mill bit laying in the fubar'd vent slot. OF COURSE IT WAS THE SECOND TO LAST ONE OUT OF 8 TOO! How does that always happen?

Well I looked at it in disgust and said a few really dirty words! This is a brand new Russian tactical forend not just a regular thin ass normal S-12 one.

After a beer and some thought I decided to try and fix it by heating up the trusty soldering iron and going to work. I picked up a pinch or two of the black shavings off the floor and burned into them with the iron making a nice stinkyball. Transferred that to the fubar slot and started building it back up. Did this till I had it back above the cut line and filed / sanded it back down.

Fucking worked like a charm :smoke:

post-1293-1160191423_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1160191448_thumb.jpg

All those days building model cars and boats with my ol man's soldering iron (till he found out how all that shit kept getting on his tips and beat my ass) paid off afterall...lol :devil:

Dinzag,you need more mags ,your running low :eek:

I'm tired of waiting on AGP & I don't know how the stampings will go, hopefully real well. In the mean time I just ordered 3 more 5 rounders and I'm going to make 2 of the tens this week. Is there anything that I need to know other than what is in the tutorial? Any special warnings?

Hey rebelyell

KICKASS avatar man! :super:

I'm huge COC fan, actually they are friends of mine.

Silentweapon338

The main thing is to make sure it all lines up on the INSIDE. You can doctor the outside later. Also be sure and "spotweld" them with superglue in just a couple of places and check to make sure they feed before going at it with the iron. To make sure they have enough curve to them line up some shells on a table and compare.

Hey Dinzag, Wanna sell any of those s20 mags? Are they all 5 rnders or all converted? I need 5 rnd mags. Ny sucks and I can't hunt with the high cap mags. I'm having a hard time finding 20ga mags.

I only have the 3" ones in excess. I have plans for the 2 3/4" ones.

PM me if you want some of those.

Silentweapon338, don't inhale! :wacko:

I was thinking the very same thing. There are a few of us who have actually.

How much :dollar: would you guys pay for them if:

A. I supply the mags.

or

B. You send me the mags

Return shipping would be exact shipping cost from NC to you.

Dinzag not stepping on any toes here am I? You seem pretty busy these days and I know Alex said Fred had had enough fumes already.

I was thinking the very same thing. There are a few of us who have actually.

How much :dollar: would you guys pay for them if:

A. I supply the mags.

or

B. You send me the mags

Return shipping would be exact shipping cost from NC to you.

Dinzag not stepping on any toes here am I? You seem pretty busy these days and I know Alex said Fred had had enough fumes already.

My interest would lie in you providing the mags, doing the work and shipping them to me. What would it take for 8 or 10 round mags for you to feel satisfied with your profit? Gimme a ballpark at least. Somebody needs to make a little on the shortage. Everyone seems to be waiting to see what the other guy is going to do from what I have read. Even Oleg is in a holding pattern to see how things shake out. Just think, you can be a mover and shaker. LOL (trying to appeal to your vanity)

I was really thinking of just using customer-supplied mags.

On customer-supplied mags, the price would depend on how much time it takes, what the individual's time is worth, and how much of a hassle it really is to do them up right.

If the builder supplies the mags, it would be pretty pricey. The cost of two (per unit) 5-round mags, plus the conversion cost would add up to considerably more than the "Vaporware" 10-rounders.

Edited by Gummerfan
I was really thinking of just using customer-supplied mags.

On customer-supplied mags, the price would depend on how much time it takes, what the individual's time is worth, and how much of a hassle it really is to do them up right.

If the builder supplies the mags, it would be pretty pricey. The cost of two (per unit) 5-round mags, plus the conversion cost would add up to considerably more than the "Vaporware" 10-rounders.

True, True. Can the 5 rnd mags be purchased wholesale? Is it a simple $35 x 2 + ???