in general, I would suggest the saiga. it will be ten thousand times more reliable for you, you wont have to clean it, and it will be new when you receive it.

an sks is not a bad gun and all, but the saiga is by far better. it is, after all, the current AKM made in russia, and not something from the cold war that was left over and phased out of issue......

The SKS is way too heavy for the cartridge it fires. Also, some have chrome lining while others don't.

I don't like the shorter stroke of the carrier on the SKS. SKS's are not as reliable as the internet would have you believe. That, and stripper loading sucks.

Overall, it will be old and bulky.

The Saiga (just got a new one), is way lighter, much more reliable, far superior fit and finish, chrome lined, has magazines, and is probably more accurate due to a better barrel that has better cut rifling and a better crown than SKS's. Oh yeah, and taking down a Saiga is about 10x easier than an SKS. I really hate taking off and putting the trigger group back on the receiver on an SKS. Some of them can be so difficult you have to slam them with a mallet!

There are plenty of reasons not to like the SKS, but lack-of-reliability is not one of them. As with any AK, there are good ones and there are not-so-good ones. A good SKS is as good as any good AK and a crummy SKS is just as bad as a crummy AK. My beat up Norinco milsurp may not quite be up to match-grade accuracy standards, but it'll always shoot when I want it to. Further more, stripper-clip loading does not suck. If anything it's faster than changing a mag, assuming your clips aren't peened to hell. It is longer and heavier than it needs to be, and the finish is crap, but it's just as reliable as any AK.

That, and I live in California. :ded:

Seriously now though. While I'd still say get the Saiga (not because it's an AK but because it's brand-spanking-new manufacture of a very high quality version of the AK), it hurts me to see the SKS get such a bad rap here. I swear by my SKS. I swear at it too sometimes, but mostly by it, and as much as I'd like an AK I'd never trade my SKS in for one.

Oh, and the only ones that don't have the chromed bore are the Yugos. Screw the Yugos though, the Russian and Chinese ones are the best. Chinese for reliability, Russian for accuracy.

SIMONOV FOR LIFE!!!

^^^^^=$0.02

I now return you to your regularly schedualed programing.

Yikes! Thats some serious anti-SKS bias. Just for your reference, theres a wealth of knowledge regarding the Sks here: Survivors SKS Boards just stay out of the survival forum, unless you like weirdos. Heres some good points/advice about the sks. They're cheap! I paid 150$ for mine, got 20 stipper clips for 6$ and a bandolier to hold those loaded clips for 10$. So stripper clips are a lot cheaper than the equivalent capacity in magazines. The aftermarket magazines are pretty much all junk so stick with the original 10 round, if you have reliability issues with an sks, its probably because you had the wrong mag in it. Since no one makes a decent aftermarket US mag for SKS, I would avoid trying to go US 922r compliant and adding a pistol grip- if you want a PG or hicap detachable mags go Saiga/AK. All makes and models have chrome barrels except the Yugo's, and they are considered more accurate along with the Chinese models. This guy Kivaari can improve the trigger group substantialy. The saftey on the SKS is a weak point, it only blocks the trigger, not the sear/ on the other hand its quiet and effortless, wont scratch the reciever to operate or make you take your hand off the grip like an AK/Saiga. Also, an sks wont put dings in the brass casses or a "step" in the chamber mouth like the Saiga's (in 7.62x39mm) will, so if you shoot brass and reload, thats somthing to consider. Some SKS's are still in great condition, others have really been wrung out, with a saiga you're buying a brand new machine. If you get an SKS, make sure to really clean out the bolt and firing pin channel, the cosmoline storage goop can really gum up the bolt and cause extremely serious problems with slam fires. The sks is really simple and easy to dissasemble and clean, not as simple as an AK, but the difference is really minor. SKS tend to be more accurate than AK's, but that statement really refers to Mak-90's, WASR's, MISR and the other AK's that were common years ago. Put an SKS up against a new Saiga or a nice Arsenal AK and the advantage go to the Saiga, Arsenal or Vepr. Since the SKS's will be arround for a long time, I'd go with the saiga first if you were to get both. I see no reason why the Saigas would be harder to get in the future, but you never know, theres already a heap of SKS's in the country... theyre not going anywhere.

Both are gun to shoot and both are reliable. The Russians dumped the SK's in favor of the the AK's and says something. I shoot the Saigas far more often than the Norinco SKS but at 100 yards the SK seems a bit more accurate. AK is easier to clean and has lot less parts.

Get them both. Get the Saiga since it's Russian AK in disguise and a Yugo SKS. The Saiga can be left stock (most of the forum members have probably modified theirs) or converted to an AK. With the Saiga you get a Russian AK for the price of a crappy commercial Romanian AK with a Russian receiver and barrel.

The Yugo SKS is a well built rifle for the money. IT doesn't have a chrome lined barrel but it's rugged and has a stock made of teak wood. I wouldn't get a ChiCom SKS when I can buy two Yugos for the price of one Chinese AK. The only Chinese AK I would get is the one which takes AK magazines if it's made built like that. Don't get a Chinese SKS which has been modified (or butchered).

My sks's are accurate, reliable and dependable just like my saiga's are too there kind of equal. My chinese norinco 16" barreled paratrooper will shoot 1 1/2" groups at 100yds using chinese norinco ammo, my 20" barreled chinese norinco sks scoped using chinese norinco ammo will shoot under 1" groups at 100yds. You can't ask for much better than that. There's nothing wrong with an sks I own a few of them all, chinese, russian, albanian, yugo and romanian there pretty much all the same except for the yugo with no chrome lined barrel. If I had to rate them i would put the chinese at number 1 with the russian a close second with the romanian 3rd, the albanian 4th and the yugo's 5th last because of no chrome lined barrel. The sks has to be the most bang for the buck semi auto rifle in 7,62x39. I even have the early 30rd mags that are flawless too. I also have a sporter sks that takes ak mags too. The chinese really honed there skills on manufacturing the sks more than everyone else and i believe they surpassed the russians in quality. Now the AK47 is a whole different design and animal. I like each one for what it is there both great shooters and are reliable as a stone they just don't fail. The advantage with a Saiga were buying a brand new Russian Izhmash AK47 in a sporter wrapper it just doesn't get any better than that for an AK. I'm sure when i'm in my deer stand this season i'll have both the sks and saiga 308 with me and maybe the saiga 223 too, i hate wasting the 308 rounds on varmits.

I had a new chinese norinco sks for many years ever since they were first imported for $59. I never planned on collecting sks's but when i found the others that were still affordable I bought them too. The romanian sks is a decent sks too. With any sks if it works you got a good one and it will never fail as long as you keep it clean in the gas system. Problems with sks's comes from neglect.

The russians actually dumped the sks because of its magazine capacity over the AK47.

My advise buy what you can now saiga's and sks's the price will continue to go up on them all. The sks's will skyrocket soon when the supply of yugo's runs out.

Edited by Unknown Poster

If I could chime in here with my two cents:

If he were to post this same question in an SKS forum he would have gotten a different response than here in general.

As somebody here has already stated, many SKS owners who give the SKS a bad rep online tend to be those that try to trick out the SKS to be AKs with the cheezy non-working 30 round magazines etc. SKSs have to be broken down and cleaned (they are used and dirty or filled with kosmo). Some people do not clean them before first range trip and that is mistake #1.

For the record, the reason the SKS was short lived in service is NOT because it was a bad rifle. It was because high capacity and select fire weapon was needed. Since the Saiga (in stock config) is neither select fire or high capacity, the point is moot in saying that the "SKS was replaced with an AK for a reason".

Owning two SKSs, a Saiga and an AK I will say get the SKS. Let's compare good and bad:

Good:

SKS is a actual MILITARY weapon with C&R status in it's original military configuration. Civilian AKs and Saigas are not, although they are representative of one.

An SKS is a "colectors" rifle as well as a shooter.

It is cheaper. You can buy two or more SKSs for the price of a Saiga.

You don't have to worry about forgetting your magazine. It's always attached.

The bayo is an added perk IMHO.

Yugo comes with a NATO spec grenade launcher and sight. How cool is that?

Unlike the Saiga the SKS carries both it's cleaning kit and it's rod with it. This is one of the reasons it is a favorit with the survival tin foil hat types.

SKS has a bolt hold open after last shot. Saiga and AK do not have this.

SKS is slightly more accurate than it's AK counterpart. This can not be said when comparing it to a 308 or 223 Saiga however.

Bad:

SKS is not a new weapon so some may come with issued that need attention. But an "almost new" version can be purchased for $150.

Not much bad to say about SKS.

------------------------------------

My suggestion: Go with a chrome lined Chinese carbine even though they cost a little more ($100 at gunshows). Or an unisued Yugo for around $150.

Do not trick it out if you get one. You would violate it's C&R status if it is a Yugo and the aftermarket mags simply do not work anway. The internal 10 round mag works perfectly as designed and stripper clip loading is fast.

You can't go wrong with either so if you can afford a Saiga now get that and the SKS later.

I would get all three, but heck i have been accused here of having too much money. A chinese sks here can be had for just over a hundred dollars, a clean yugo sks for one forty, and an unissued for one sixty thus two sixty nine for the saiga is more money.

As for finding a sks-d/m they are rare rifles but they can be had, for less than a saiga, or far less than a wasr-10 for under two fifty.

So what ever you want, everyone can justify reasons for buying it. I like haveing the saigas for a different ak rifle, the sks d because they are neat and use the same mags, and are as or more relyable than the ak type of rifles. The standard sks is still a nice rifle too though, I have three chinese due to the cost plus a yugo. If you limit your self to one rifle you are missing out on having more fun with them at the range.

• 3 weeks later...
The SKS is way too heavy for the cartridge it fires.

I don't like the shorter stroke of the carrier on the SKS. SKS's are not as reliable as the internet would have you believe. That, and stripper loading sucks.

Overall, it will be old and bulky.

You're just talking out of your ass, there.

That being said, of the 5 SKS's I currently own, I do not own, nor do I care to own a Yugo.

Edited by BlenderWizard
Clearly we have a difference in opinions and experiences.

I have not owned an SKS in ~10 years, but the two Chinese models I owned (one of which a good friend still owns) were both reliable and accurate. Stripper clips do not bother me.

Yep, if you don't f around with the SKS (mainly change the mag on one), they are absolutely reliable.

I guess the question is this if your in the market of a x39 military style rifle which do you pick? For me it's easy I look at what I want to use it for, it would be my 3 gun rifle, so I'd go for the Saiga. If I was just looking for a rifle to have around the house, barn, truck, what ever then I'd most likely go for the SKS.

Both are fine guns I'd say it boils down to price and intended use.

I guess the question is this if your in the market of a x39 military style rifle which do you pick? For me it's easy I look at what I want to use it for, it would be my 3 gun rifle, so I'd go for the Saiga. If I was just looking for a rifle to have around the house, barn, truck, what ever then I'd most likely go for the SKS.

Heck, price is barely a consideration. A SKS is gonna run ~$200, if you steer clear of the Yugos, and a new x39 Saiga is $240 at stanleysproshop.com

Heck, price is barely a consideration. A SKS is gonna run ~$200, if you steer clear of the Yugos, and a new x39 Saiga is $240 at stanleysproshop.com

Barely a consideration? How so?

Considering you can get two SKSs for the price of one Saiga, I think that is well worth consideration.

$200 for an SKS? On what planet? Mint Yugos go for $150 tops and you can get a Chinese Carbine SKS for about $100-$130. Saiga of any flavor will cost you close to $300 here. Only $200 SKSs I have seen are the hard to find Russian or Albanian ones.

Tell me where I can get a Saiga 308 for $150 please.

Lets look at price, an SKS used military surplus gun, you should be able to find in a gun shop and talk them down to $150 to $175, plus tax and out the door. A Saiga x39 $250ish maybe a little less, shipping fee, FFL transfer fee, so your looking at a $300 out the door price. That is not much to a lot of people but it could be a lot to some one. The way I figure it you save at least $100 bucks bottom line with the SKS.

It boils down to intended use,

Feel free to disagree, I still say the Saiga is a better gun for the money spent because it's New and of high quality to start with.

A Saiga better well be a better gun since costs twice as much as an SKS.

No argument there. But lets compare two SKSs to one Saiga. No contest.

The Saiga would be a better deal depending on what ammo you want to shoot. Simple as that, so yes intentions is 90% of the equasion.

But a an SKS is a better first time owner gun, which is what this thread is basically all about.

A mint SKS OTOH is a better value for the dollar though hands down.

Considering you can get two SKSs for the price of one Saiga, I think that is well worth consideration.

$200 for an SKS? On what planet? Mint Yugos go for $150 tops and you can get a Chinese Carbine SKS for about $100-$130. Saiga of any flavor will cost you close to $300 here. Only $200 SKSs I have seen are the hard to find Russian or Albanian ones.

I'm referring to internet orders.

That Yugo thing is where you made your mistake; I don't consider those. You must not have read my post. If they had a chrome lined bore, then, sure, but they don't, and since every other SKS does, they're inferior. It makes ZERO sense for the yugos to not be chrome lined, since 95%+ of the ammo that was/could have been fired in them was corrosive.

I also made no mention of a S-.308. I'd really like you to find me a Chinese SKS for under $180, also.

Now, back to what I was saying: I highly doubt you'll be able to find a Russian, Albanian, Chinese, or Romanian SKS for less than $200. And the Saiga is $240, and all FFL and shipping fees would likely apply to both, so you're looking at a maximum of a $40 price difference.

But, if you want to compare a yugo to a Saiga, then get the Saiga and don't even think about it.

That is the most ignorant comment I've read today.

Edited by BlenderWizard
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm referring to internet orders.

That Yugo thing is where you made your mistake; I don't consider those. You must not have read my post. If they had a chrome lined bore, then, sure, but they don't, and since every other SKS does, they're inferior. It makes ZERO sense for the yugos to not be chrome lined, since 95%+ of the ammo that was/could have been fired in them was corrosive.

I also made no mention of a S-.308. I'd really like you to find me a Chinese SKS for under $180, also.

Now, back to what I was saying: I highly doubt you'll be able to find a Russian, Albanian, Chinese, or Romanian SKS for less than $200. And the Saiga is $240, and all FFL and shipping fees would likely apply to both, so you're looking at a maximum of a $40 price difference.

But, if you want to compare a yugo to a Saiga, then get the Saiga and don't even think about it.

WTF?!?

You are the one that is ignorant if you do not know what a Saiga and SKS cost.

Again, on average ANY Saiga will run you you almost $300. You can get a good Yugo or Chicom SKS for $100-$150. DO THE MATH!

The fact that the Yugo is not chromed is not even part of this debate and is irrelavent so not sure why you are even bringing this up. Who cares if it's not chromed? And the Chicoms are chromed. So freaking what?!?

If you do not know how to properly clean a non-chromed barrel then you are in the wrong hobby. Take up knitting or something.

And do some research before you call people ignorant.

Show me where I can buy a new Saiga 223 or 308 for less than $200. Either put up or shut up.

Edited by GonzoX

WTF?!?

Again, on average ANY Saiga will run you you almost $300. You can get a good Yugo or Chicom SKS for $100-$150. DO THE MATH!

The fact that the Yugo is not chromed is not even part of this debate and is irrelavent so not sure why you are even bringing this up. Who cares if it's not chromed? And the Chicoms are chromed. So freaking what?!?

If you do not know how to properly clean a non-chromed barrel then you are in the wrong hobby. Take up knitting or something.

Show me where I can buy a new Saiga 223 or 308 for less than $200. Either put up or shut up.

Since you obviously are having trouble here, my comment was in reference to you saying that since it costs more, it must be bettertard.gif

That is the ignorant comment.

Simply because something costs more does not make it better. I know where there's a SKS-D for sale for $1500 locally. Does the higher price automatically make it better than 2 or 3 AK's, or a M14? No.

And, I just bought 2 7.62x39 Saigas for $209 each, brand new from a dealer. I know that's not under $200, but it's getting real close to what I paid for my Chinese. So close, that if you were gun shopping, it shouldn't make a difference.

I'd still like you to show me a Chinese SKS for $100 to $150.

Edited by BlenderWizard

Wait, who made mention of those calibers? Nobody made mention of any caliber, but the question was SKSvs. Saiga, so the best you can do is assume that the original poster was intendending to caompare the two, apples for apples. the same caliber.

Ya gotta keep up, man.

Wait, who made mention of those calibers? Nobody made mention of any caliber, but the question was SKSvs. Saiga, so the best you can do is assume that the original poster was intendending to caompare the two, apples for apples. the same caliber.

Ya gotta keep up, man.

No, you need to keep up. With the market that is.

Cal really doesn't matter as far as cost of the Saiga. They are all basically the same price. Even a 7.62x39 Saiga is still in the $300 range.

Only reason I used 223 and 308 as an example is that it makes no sense to buy a 7.62x39 "Saiga" if you can afford the same "Saiga" in 308 or 223.

Guess you haven't kept up with the Russian ammo shortage / price changes.

Go price some 7.62x39 in the real world and get back with me. 223 and 308 are the obviouse choices here "IF" he buys a Saiga.

Obviousely an SKS will not give you that choice, but the issue is moot in that you can still buy two SKSs for the price of one Saiga. And that is a better choice for a first time shooter to learn on as well as a better value regardless of increase in 7.62x39 price. That's all Im saying.

If he does decide to go with the Saiga, a 7.62x39 version would be my last choice. 223 as a plinker and 308 as a hunter would be more logical for him.

WTF?!?

Since you obviously are having trouble here, my comment was in reference to you saying that since it costs more, it must be bettertard.gif

That is the ignorant comment.

Simply because something costs more does not make it better. I know where there's a SKS-D for sale for $1500 locally. Does the higher price automatically make it better than 2 or 3 AK's, or a M14? No.

And, I just bought 2 7.62x39 Saigas for $209 each, brand new from a dealer. I know that's not under $200, but it's getting real close to what I paid for my Chinese. So close, that if you were gun shopping, it shouldn't make a difference.

I'd still like you to show me a Chinese SKS for $100 to $150.

Well that was kind of my point.

Keep in mind that we are comparing a NEW commercial gun with warranty to a "like mint" military surplus gun for half the cost.

I still stand by the idea that the SKS is a better value and a better first gun overall for several reason I have stated before.

Yes the Saiga is good and the price reflects it as a newly manufactured weapon with a warranty and is still an absolute great buy BUT, mind you that if the average SKS were to be manufactured TODAY it would cost you $700-$800 (Im guestimating) due to how it is made.

He could get 2 rifles with $300 cash. A mint Yugo SKS and he can clean the barrel and it will be fine. And he can get a Chicom Carbine with a chrome barrel as a spare.

The other option is 1 Saiga of his choice of caliber. I would avoid the 7.62x39 version right now BTW.

A K31 is another example as it would cost almost $1000 today to manufacture it but you can buy a surplus one for about $130 with a shiney mint barrel.

But I digress. In the end he will (and should) simply buy what tickles his fancy. I just wanted to throw some facts and comparisons into this discussion as food for thought.

If that riled a few feathers and caused some missunderstandings on my part or others parts then I appologize.

I feel a need to defend the SKS as an almost perfect example of a first rifle this side of a bolt 22 long gun.

The Saiga will be around for a while and although SKS are cheap and plentifull now, they are not being made anymore for export to us here. They will not be in the market forever.

Now you want me to show you a $100 Chicom SKS? Look no further than my sig link. It was purchased locally about 4 months back ag gunshow.

My Saiga 223 cost me almost $300. Now show me where I can buy a $200 308 Saiga and I will buy one as soon as funds permit. Because they sure as hell aren't that cheap here? And don't forget to add TX sales tax if this is a dealer sale and FFL transfer fee if this is online.

I guarantee you there are NO reselers selling any new Saigas for $200. You must have purchased a used one. If that was the case then I think I made my point.

Edited by GonzoX