Which POSP Scope for 223?

I was wondering what scope you guys would recommend for my Saiga 223?

My 4x26 Romanian PSL scope is giving me a hard time and others have suggested I not use it on this particular rifle.

So I was thinking about getting a standard 4x24 POSP with the 400 meter rangefinder.

Plan on keeping this Saiga all stock and shooting it mostly in the 100 yard range.

Suggestions or recommendations welcome.

• 3 weeks later...
I was wondering what scope you guys would recommend for my Saiga 223?

My 4x26 Romanian PSL scope is giving me a hard time and others have suggested I not use it on this particular rifle.

So I was thinking about getting a standard 4x24 POSP with the 400 meter rangefinder.

Plan on keeping this Saiga all stock and shooting it mostly in the 100 yard range.

Suggestions or recommendations welcome.

FYI FWIW bump...

I bought the 4 X 24 for my .223. I didn't see the need for a 1000 meter scope since I will be firing at 100 meters the majority of the time. Mine will remain stock also.

If I need the 200 or 300 meter chevrons, I got 'em. ;)

Edited by pogy
  • 2 weeks later...
www.kalinkaoptics.com is a great place...good support, prices, and products.

Scopes don't work well under 100 yards. You'd be better off with a red dot or holographic. My POSP 4X24 wouldn't site in under 100.

Whaaahht?

I think your scope is fudged then.

I have a Roman 4x26 and it is clear and sharp at 100 yards and even 50. Now at 25 yards or closer it gets a little fuzzy.

You don't by chance wear corrective lenses do you?

Scopes don't work well under 100 yards. You'd be better off with a red dot or holographic. My POSP 4X24 wouldn't site in under 100.

Whaaahht?

I have a Roman 4x26 and it is clear and sharp at 100 yards and even 50. Now at 25 yards or closer it gets a little fuzzy.

Scope is clear...it is hard to dial in at that short of range. I use rocks for 50 yards...not scopes. I think the POSPs are mounted too high for 50 and under.

Edited by Liquifly
  • 2 weeks later...
OK, Clueless N00b strikes again!

What does POSP stand for? How do these scopes differ from others, if they do?

TIA, and I will now get back to lurking and learning.

Bill

One source says POSP= performance optics special purpose, or that is the translation from Russian.

The reticle usually has a crude range calculator, and has markings for bullet drop at long range (1000m+), often calibrated for a 7.62x54R round.

• 2 years later...

Whaaahht?

Scope is clear...it is hard to dial in at that short of range. I use rocks for 50 yards...not scopes. I think the POSPs are mounted too high for 50 and under.

Can't you still use the irons for short range shots and look through the POSP for longer shots?

Edited by epicwarrior78

I got a 6x42 POSP from Kalinka Optics for my Saiga. They shipped it fast and it looks to be in great condition, very sturdy scope.. made in Belarus.. I haven't taken it to the range yet.

I struggled a lot over 4x vs 6x but it was only $20 more to get the 6x and you can still use the iron sights with it mounted (though its not comfortable) so I went ahead and went with the 6x. If i get a dragonuv some day I can always transfer it to that.. I just felt like 6x gave me more options. Do i need a 1000 meter range finder and 6x scope ? no, but it sure is cool/fun

saiga762scopebipod.jpg

Edited by Pathfind3r
Can't you still use the irons for short range shots and look through the POSP for longer shots?

You sure can, and while I've heard enough horror stories about Kalinka, and wont order from them, i have a 4x24 POSP with a 7.62x39 reticle that works very well.