floating for opinions on next conversion

I have a 16" 308 on the way, and I had pretty much decided to go with a triangular shaped side folder set up.

Now I am tossing around a regular underfolder, but kinda on the fence.

Anyone ever shot the 308 with a regular style AK UF stock on it? I figure the side folder can have a pad added easily if needed, but not the UF....

Thoughts, opinions, snide remarks?? :killer::haha:

The FSE rubber pad fits all stocks; Romy/E. Ger. side folders, Krink triangle, UF, and even fixed wood or poly.

Not sure how well it would work on an UF, since it is open to clear the magazine..

I am leaning more towards a fixed for the 308, folding option is something I seldom use anyhow.

Edited by texlurch

IMHO, the underfolders are made for carry and to look at. They aren't very comfortable or funcitonal during shooting.

I would stick with the Russian style side folder myself.

I've been toying with the idea of making one with Romanian side folder and front pistol-grip handguards = just for shits and grins.

Never seen an underfolder used on a .308. Agree it would be uncomfortable, and as well with the rail arm of the stock it is more difficult to get a good cheek weld as it is fairly far off center, and your face is resting on bare hot or cold metal unless you wrap that area with para cord.

I've fired a few underfolders. They're not even good for shooting with the little x39 cartridge, IMO. As mentioned, they're strictly for compact carry purposes. It's better than no stock at all, but not by much.

They're too short, so I had to consciously pull my face back to keep from absorbing recoil with my nose.

I sure wouldn't want to use one behind a 308.

I've fired a few underfolders. They're not even good for shooting with the little x39 cartridge, IMO. As mentioned, they're strictly for compact carry purposes. It's better than no stock at all, but not by much.

They're too short, so I had to consciously pull my face back to keep from absorbing recoil with my nose.

I sure wouldn't want to use one behind a 308.

I have a couple on my x39 guns, and they are no problem at all. But for the 308, I think I will go fixed route, and slotted stock forearm.

Of course, that may all change in the next couple weeks, while waiting to work on the gun.