Back on the range

I got out today for my second round with my new Saiga .223 and my trusty Marlin 22, shooting off a wooden rest in front and my shoulder in the back. I really tried to concentrate today and breathe right but I found myself jerking the trigger sometimes, somewhat.

From left to right, the first target is my marlin Model 60 with a 3-7X Simmons shooting 14 .22 Winchester Xperts. That is my "control".

The 2cd & 3rd targets are my new Saiga with 10 Malaysian ammo 55g, factory sights.

The 4th target with 10 Brown Bear 62g. So a few didn't make the target.

I didn't plan on it originally, but I will be getting a scope, or maybe a red dot scope, for this Saiga now.

How hard is it to adjust the original sights??

Does any AK scope mount work for this Saiga?? I would probably lean towards a weaver style, but any input is appreciated.

Only having one 10 round clip is really saving me $$$ on shells. :rolleyes:

The brown bear ammo ejected about 5 -6 feet to my 4 o'clock position, the malaysian ammo ejected to my 2 o'clock position about 15 feet.

post-4463-1163991997_thumb.jpg

Edited by BlackDog
I got out today for my second round with my new Saiga .223 and my trusty Marlin 22, shooting off a wooden rest in front and my shoulder in the back. I really tried to concentrate today and breathe right but I found myself jerking the trigger sometimes, somewhat.

From left to right, the first target is my marlin Model 60 with a 3-7X Simmons shooting 14 .22 Winchester Xperts. That is my "control".

The 2cd & 3rd targets are my new Saiga with 10 Malaysian ammo 55g, factory sights.

I didn't plan on it originally, but I will be getting a scope, or maybe a red dot scope, for this Saiga now.

Does any AK scope mount work for this Saiga?? I would probably lean towards a weaver style, but any input is appreciated.

The brown bear ammo ejected about 5 -6 feet to my 4 o'clock position, the malaysian ammo ejected to my 2 o'clock position about 15 feet.

AK mounts work just fine. Get one with a picatinny-type rail, uless you plan on having a mount for exclusive optics.

The original sights are easy to adjust, but the FS drum(windage) can be a pain if you don't buy the cheap tool that makes it easy.

I have a BP-02 scope mount from Belarus on my 20 inch barrel Saiga .223. It has a Weaver rail on top. Accuracy is great with 55 grain Wolf ammo but terrible with 62 grain Radway Green SS109. The sights are kinda difficult to adjust unless you have a front sight tool. The cheap SKS sight tools are terrible. I believe mine came from B-Square. I have found that the rifles are usually sighted in pretty good for windage from the factory.

saiga20pgb.jpg

I have a BP-02 scope mount from Belarus on my 20 inch barrel Saiga .223. It has a Weaver rail on top. Accuracy is great with 55 grain Wolf ammo but terrible with 62 grain Radway Green SS109. The sights are kinda difficult to adjust unless you have a front sight tool. The cheap SKS sight tools are terrible. I believe mine came from B-Square. I have found that the rifles are usually sighted in pretty good for windage from the factory.

saiga20pgb.jpg

Does that mount center the scope over the reciver or is it off set to the left a little?

A few things. . .yes any Russian Kobra optic will work fine on the Saiga .223, which is, after all, a state-of-the-art AK-101, and current military issue, except for the caliber (Russians use the AK-74M, which is the AK-101 in 5.45 x 39, which they elected to keep, rather than going the NATO route as did many other former Eastern Bloc nations, like Poland and others). The Kobra is a grteat choice, because it is also Russian , and was R&D'd in combat in Chechnya. It is a tough mil-spec optic.

Also, get 5.45 x 39 black polyamide mags ans convert them to .223. I, and many others have posted the process on this forum, just search. My new pleasant surprise is the Orlite, 35 rd. sraeli Galil mags that work PERFECTLY in my Saga, as well as my ROmanian SAR 3 in .223. The "fix" is also posted here, so search the mags as well as my handle. and you will find what you need to do. I, just this evening, in a rifle/shotgun (a Saiga 12, of course) match did alot of damage with two Galil 35 rounders clamped side-by-side which gave me one less mag change over the poor 30 rd AR losers (he, he!)

Also, a small but important thing if you are seriously getting into the gun thang. . .the AK uses magazines, or mags, not clips. Only M-1 Garands use "clips." I know you would want to know that.