Factory buttstock

I can't believe I am the first person to wonder about this.

I took my Saiga out to the range this weekend for the first time and was amazed with the amount of kick it had. I had read in here about people talking about how front heavy it is; so, that got me wondering about the how much weight I could add to the buttstock to help kill some of the kick. When I unscrewed the shoulder plate and looked inside tonight, I was amazed the damn stock didn't accordian into itself when I shot it. This is one thin piece of plastic.

post-4259-1164775980.jpg

I took my Saiga out to the range this weekend for the first time and was amazed with the amount of kick it had. I had read in here about people talking about how front heavy it is; so, that got me wondering about the how much weight I could add to the buttstock to help kill some of the kick. When I unscrewed the shoulder plate and looked inside tonight, I was amazed the damn stock didn't accordian into itself when I shot it. This is one thin piece of plastic.

post-4259-1164775980.jpg

Creepy Huh.! Well most poly stocks aren't much thicker.

Try filling it up with sand and putting the butt plate back on. You can put rags or newspaper at the rear to adjust weight. Figure out what weight you like and put that amount of joint compound (sheetrock mud) in there and let it set. Just an idea...

post-4259-1164775980.jpg

Yeah its thin, but it'll never collapse on ya'. As far as recoil reduction goes, this is what I did:

I used a 16oz. mercury recoil reducer in the stock http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/Pro...COIL+SUPPRESSOR with a Pachmayr triple magnum recoil pad http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/pro...x?p=9743&s= and had the barrel mag-na-ported http://www.magnaport.com/sgun.html

I lightly siliconed the mercury recoil reducer into the top of the stock cavity, filled the rest of the void with GreatStuff foam, trimmed it down and fitted the recoil pad to the stock.

I can shoot slugs all day long with no soreness afterwards. In fact, after the mod, me and my brother put 500 rounds 2 3/4 buck through it and I believe another 400rnds of wally mart skeet load just to see what would break. Nothing broke, and we were'nt hurt'n.

I put a recoil buffer (don't know if that helped at all honestly) and a slip-on limbsaver...

that LimbSaver is AWESOME, I shot 70 rounds in under an hour (I know not a HUGE feat or anything) with no pain, I rapid fired slugs, and rapid fired 00 buck with NO pain.... that thing was the best money I've ever spent on a gun.....

Man, I've seen a lot of posts lately complaining about the Saiga 12's recoil, have these people never shot a 12 guage shotgun before?

The Saiga 12 to me is the softest recoiling 12 gauge shotgun out there, it soaks up the recoil better than any other auto and much better than any pump or single shot out there, no question. Best thing I did was use an ACE stock with a rubber pad on all of my Saiga conversions, makes it really comfortable to shoot even 3" heavy loads.

First on the strength issue: that thin plastic is much stronger than it will ever need to be. The strength of that plastic, especially in a tube, is phenomenal. (Try to collapse an uncreased, unwrinkled tube from a roll of toilet paper lengthwise between your hands). I once had to go up in an articulated arm lift (a "cherry picker") for work. I am not fond of heights. I was told by the guy instructing me the tubes that make up the arms of those things are fiberglas that is only 3/16" thick.

As to recoil; I too feel the Saiga is the kindest recoiling shotgun I've ever shot. I'm recoil shy and I don't like to shoot my 870s, but the S-12 doesn't bother me. Weight will tend to reduce felt recoil, but be careful, because weight up front sometimes inhibits muzzle rise, and causes the gun to push straight back with more force, instead of lifting its own weight, which takes up energy and reduces felt recoil.

I'd put something heavy (like bird shot in a sealed container) in the stock. also, buy the thickest, widest limbsaver pad, and grind it down to match the stock. It looks a little goofy, but will help dramatically.

Here's what I did on one of my rifles:

post-2407-1164815235_thumb.jpg the more material you leave, the more it will distribute the recoil.

I'm a big fan of the slip-on.... no grinding, and you can swap it from rifle to rifle in a matter of seconds......

I agree that the Saiga is the lowest recoil 12 gauge I've shot, what got me was the plastic butt-stop... it was eatin me alive, but I put the LS on it, and I'm GOOD.... shoots like a DREAM now

All good points, my friends.

Honestly, I know the stock won't collapse but I was expecting it to be either thicker or have a honeycomb center. I wasn't expecting that I would have to fill it up this much.

I will probably go with some expanding foam shot into it to fill up the stock closest to the receiver, and then fill out the rest with bird shot. I am thinking about bagging a bunch up in batches of 2 oz. or so and then adjusting the amount of bags until it feels right. I might modify that plan to be able to put the recoil absorber in it too.

The limbsaver is a definite must. I plan on using this for my heavy hunting (deer, turkey, geese ) so I will be using 3 inch shells for the most part in it. Won't be shooting that many slugs in the field but practicing on the range will be different.

Since I want to be able to switch between this stock and the folding Saiga model, I still am going to have to do a conversion using Battlefield's modified FCG but I am putting that off for now.

Man, I've seen a lot of posts lately complaining about the Saiga 12's recoil, have these people never shot a 12 guage shotgun before?

The Saiga 12 to me is the softest recoiling 12 gauge shotgun out there, it soaks up the recoil better than any other auto and much better than any pump or single shot out there, no question. Best thing I did was use an ACE stock with a rubber pad on all of my Saiga conversions, makes it really comfortable to shoot even 3" heavy loads.

Yep, I know. I couldn't agree more.

The first time I shot my Tromix converted 12, I also brought along my pistol gripped, buttstocked, Ithica 37 with an 18.5 in pipe.

After I shot a few hundred 12 guage 7.5's for fun I loaded up my Ithica. This is an older model without the trigger disconnect. So all I have to do is keep the trigger back and pump like heck. I used to think I was quick like this but the recoil liked to have killed me. Sure I was only marginally slower than the Saiga, but way more felt recoil. As a speed test I flipped the saiga on its side, put in a full five round mag, and let fire fly. It was no problem keeping all 6 of the casings in the air and compaired to my (old favorite Ithica ) VERY LITTLE recoil.