My 3rd Outing w/.223

I haven't been able to get out in weeks because of daylight savings, but I got out today.

Not only was I the only moron at the range, I was the only moron at the entire club. I had the whole place to myself to freeze my a$$ off. It was pretty cold with a slight breeze.

I shot like crap, this is my best shooting for the day, everything else was too sorry to walk out 100 yds and retrieve the target.

At 50 yds, the holes below the tape measure are 5 shots with a scope, above the tape measure is 10 shots with the iron sights.

post-4463-1165723744_thumb.jpg

I haven't been able to get out in weeks because of daylight savings, but I got out today.

Not only was I the only moron at the range, I was the only moron at the entire club. I had the whole place to myself to freeze my a$$ off. It was pretty cold with a slight breeze.

I shot like crap, this is my best shooting for the day, everything else was too sorry to walk out 100 yds and retrieve the target.

At 50 yds, the holes below the tape measure are 5 shots with a scope, above the tape measure is 10 shots with the iron sights.

I'll tell you what,Black Dog....Don't be so hard on yourself. With that shooting,anything on 2 or 4 legs would be shot 15 times!!!

You guys didn't see my 100 yard targets, I was trying 5 shot groups with the scope on it and only hit some plates 3 times. I was all over the plates too. No consistency, which I would say WAS me. I could put one round right thru the bullseye and the next round couldn't even hit the plate.

My hands were pretty cold and I didn't feel like I was pulling smoothly. The Saiga trigger actually made my mini-14 trigger feel smooth. Even with the sun out sometimes, I don't think it got to 40F yesterday and I forgot to bring gloves. (I always keep gloves/hat in my car, but I just changed the heater core in my dad's car and was driving that.)

I am shooting old Malaysian M193 FMJ, which I have seen posts on AR15 that guys loved it and some guys said it was the best surplus they ever shot. I shot some Lellier & Bellot too with the same results. I didn't bring any fancy rounds because I just put the scope on and was sighting it in.

I'm not giving up hope yet. It was one of those days that I felt I was just seeding a farm field with bullets. I could have just opened a box of shells and thrown them onto the range by hand and felt the same.

I know it is a kinda stupid question but is your scope mount tight or sloppy? If you can shift it a little bit at all you have a problem.

Also it does not hurt to test more types of ammo, and try it on a warmer day as the cold will cause flyers (you sight in with 2-3 shots and your barrel heats up, you then setup more targets and your barrel cools off again changing POI).

If I am going to try out a new rifle I always start with an older rifle I am used to, that way I can see if it is me or the new rifle messing up.

Edited by csspecs

I was just cleaning my Saiga and low and behold, when I grabbed the scope and held the mounting rail, there was some movement when I put some pressure on them. I loctited the mounting rings, but never thought to loctite the screws holding the rings to the rail. They had loosened up a little bit. :ded:

Now I have to make some time next weekend to get back out and shoot straighterer.