Has anyone used the 154gn SP Wolf ammo to actually hunt anything? If so, how'd it perform? I am about to go whitetail hunting here in SE GA and I know the round is suitable and what the acceptable range is and all that, I just want to know how the bullets perform on game.

I have read a bunch of posts on how they perform as plinking ammo out of AK's and SKS's, just wondering if anyone actually hunted with them.

I'll be using an AIA M-10A2 and ranges around here are usually around 50 yds or less - 100 yds is considered a looooong shot.

post-1473-1166631911_thumb.jpg

Mac, good question. Around here West TX-Southern NM We don't have a lot of brush so 100 yds. is a fairly short range shot. I used to shoot a 1916 Spanish mauser short rifle (.308) that I had shortened the mag on and chamber inserted to x39 and never got around to use for hunting. Your rifle reminds me a lot of that in looks. BTW I have never seen one of those, very nice looking weapons. Now I'm going to be up surfing all night and plotting how to get one. Please tell me they cost $2000 and weigh 15lb with a sling and mag so I can go back to sleep. bikes

I have checked the net for info on this round also. I would say that the results have been about 75% in favor of this round. I wouldnt use it over 100 yards. It seems to fail sometimes. I would just get some Rem or Win soft point and use that. Probably the best would be CorBon 150 grain ammo but its hard to come by.

Apparently, only about 250 came into the country from AIA before importation was stopped. According to AIA, only a few minor parts were made outside of Australia, but, it seems enought of the rifle was made in VietNam to raise the eyebrows of Customs and the ATF. All 250 (+/-) were intended as "dealer samples" and not intended to be released to the general public. Mine came via Tri-Star about 18 months ago. I have not experienced the mentioned feed problems, as long as I us the 10 rounders that came with it. The teak stock is nice, but wayyyyy too heavy (makes the rifle about 10.5lbs), so I swapped it out in favor of a synthetic. It is now about 8lbs with the scope.

Accruacy is another issue. I am not sure if it's the barrel twist, the headspace, throat, or what, but it will not group bullets in the 123gn +/- weight range at all (10 - 12" groups are typical). It has a strong preference for the heavy-weight bullets. That is why I wanted to know if anyone had any actual field experience with the Wolf 154's and their terminal performance on deer-sized game.

BTW - I cronographed these rounds and I was very impressed with the consistantcy. Average was 2055 fps with a extreme spread of 14 fps and an SD of only 8 fps - out of 30 rounds tested. Groups run about 2" out of my 19" barrel and a fixed 6X scope.

Here is what my rifle looks like since I restocked it.

post-1473-1167327835_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Not deer sized but I have used the 154gr from my sks on wood chucks at about 75 yards & another at 10 yards. These chucks go anywhere from 15 - 25 lbs. Of the three I shot none had an exit wound, all where shot in the front shoulder area from the side. I haven't cut one open but when tossing them in their hole the insides felt like they had gone to mush, very different from hitting one with a .22lr. Not the effect I thought they would have, I expected a large exit hole but the round killed them. I have recovered a couple of the bullets from other things I have shot (water jugs, blocks of wood, etc) and they seem to peel the jacket and mushroom nicely. If they are accurate from your gun I would at least give them a try on deer.

I still am planning that trip to the panhandle, possibly mid-Georgia, for a weekend of hunting.

However, I did go to the range, fired about ~40 rounds of the Wolf SP along with some FMJ. I'd like to think that it was just as accurate as the FMJ, as long as the soft tip has not deformed; I dropped a couple SPs on the ground and the tips flattened. Not the most aerodynamic shape for hitting targets...