congrats on tha amac never owned that one,, had the rest though.. hows the chamber on it? is it a tight match or can you shoot surplus..? i had a barrett with a match chamber and the thing would only shoot match ammo or handloads... what grain weight bullet does yours like? and have you grouped it yet long range? get er out to 1000 1500, 1800 and 2000 adn see what she will do.. most of mine liked talon ammo, or if you can find it hornady amax. . currently i like blue grass armory's rifle....

The gun is an older one, made in the early 80s, so I am assuming it doesn't have a match chamber. I got it from Kent Lamont in Idaho. He says it should shoot 1/2 MOA with good ammo. Between working overtime and the weather turned a little nasty after I got it,I haven't the time to shoot it enough to see what it likes, but I am not very impressed with Talon ammo. At $1.6 a round I didn't expect a lot. I was having trouble keeping my shots in the head of a silhouette target at 200yds.I am going to order some match ammo from AAA Ammo. http://www.aaa-ammo.com/bmg.htm It looks like I am going to have to start reloading.

well head match it before you reload,,, take a processed empty case witha lightly seated bullet and seat it by loading it and closeing bolt,, this will give you a good idea on your chamber length... 50's are real bad on erosion. specially if previous wners shot alot of military crap though them like ap or apit. i really like to find a way to get a hard chromed bbl or stellite lined bbl. like original m2.. every one says they are not as accurate but they did just fine for me. just did not like a 90 lb weapon and a 350 lb tripod, and having to rehead spac ethe dam thing every time you move the gun. un les you can find a someone who has a 50 throat erosion guage and chamber guage... you may want to join 50 association start rubbing elbows with those that have invested the money in essential tools already and see if you can bum some.

how did that scope stand up to recoil?

well head match it before you reload,,, take a processed empty case witha lightly seated bullet and seat it by loading it and closeing bolt,, this will give you a good idea on your chamber length... 50's are real bad on erosion. specially if previous wners shot alot of military crap though them like ap or apit. i really like to find a way to get a hard chromed bbl or stellite lined bbl. like original m2.. every one says they are not as accurate but they did just fine for me. just did not like a 90 lb weapon and a 350 lb tripod, and having to rehead spac ethe dam thing every time you move the gun. un les you can find a someone who has a 50 throat erosion guage and chamber guage... you may want to join 50 association start rubbing elbows with those that have invested the money in essential tools already and see if you can bum some.

I have heard that the 50's are real bad on erosion, but there shouldn't be any in mine yet. The gun was N.O.S. and unfired. Kent is one the oldest class 3 dealers in the business. He also loves the .50BMG rifle and is rather fond of the AMAC. He told me that when AMAC went out of business, he bought 1500 of their rifles at the bankruptcy auction.

That is a good idea on checking to see what the chamber length is. Iam planning on drilling out the primer pocket on a fired case and threading it to fit my stonypoint O.A.L. Gauge. and checking it. I HAD a stellite lined bbl a few years ago, but I sold it thinking I would never build a .50 rifle. :angry:

I will join the FCSA after the first of the year.. Got to get Christmas over with..

So far the scope has held up good. Nightforce claims it was built for the .50BMG rifle. It has something like 90MOA of adjustment in it.

What kind of groups are you getting out of your 50? I did get some groups with the Talon remanufactured ammo that were under 1 inch, but the flyers were enough to kill the grouping.

Edited by Banshee
  • 4 weeks later...