Conversion question

You'd be looking at a conversion to move the trigger group, some custom furniture and retainer plates, adding the sight block and flash hider, and playing the 922r game. Plus a .223 is not the most appropriate caliber to try and replicate a Drag-looking gun. The pic you are showing is of a Romak-3, or PSL, FPK, or SSG97, depending on the manufacturer/importer, and those are not true SVD Dragunovs as the former use an AK action whereas the SVD's do not. You might consider using a Saiga .308 as the caliber is closer, but you would still have all the added expenses. I'd rather go out and buy a Romak-3, but note that they now run $700-1000+. (They are slick! I have one. ;) ) A real SVD, if you can find one, runs megabucks--the last one I saw was $6000 and it even had a cracked handguard. And, welcome to the forum!

Edited by tritium

Thanks for the welcome and the tips. I think it may be better to just save for the real deal...or the almost real deal. I dont have 6,000 to dump on a rifle or else I would probably have a Barret 50 Cal by now...lol. Anyway, $700-$800 isnt too much seeing as how I dumped that on my AR but I am looking at M1 Garands too...decisions decisions...lol.

Thanks for the welcome and the tips. I think it may be better to just save for the real deal...or the almost real deal. I dont have 6,000 to dump on a rifle or else I would probably have a Barret 50 Cal by now...lol. Anyway, $700-$800 isnt too much seeing as how I dumped that on my AR but I am looking at M1 Garands too...decisions decisions...lol.

There were several PSL's on GunBroker within the last week or so. They would give you a fair idea of what the current traffic is bearing.

Damn these are getting really pricey... I remember I paid less than $700 for mine... and not that long ago...

Heres the one I would get... and its almost $900!!!

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=63002904

Got the bayo lug on it, and some VERY nice looking wood!!!

A PSL is nothing like a converted Saiga... its an animal all its own... and a pleasure to shoot... mine is still my favorite out of a decent collection!

:smoke:

Well, I guess a betting man would have to go with the PSL first as those prices seem to be going higher/faster than the M1s are. I will likely leave my Saiga the way it is....maybe a bullet guide if it will work with those 50 round Galil mags...just because. Its really rare that I load more than 10 rounds at a time in my ARs 30 round mags. After making the same-ish hole 10 times it gets kinda boring and you have to put up a new target anyway.

I love that Drag-looking stock. I think thats what it is called anyway.

Does anybody know where I can purchase a good old American made wooden stock like that for a Saiga shotgun?

Don't know if commercially available but think forum member BRG can custom make one for you if you were really interested.

USN1, with a US trigger group(3pcs) and one of BattleRifleG3s custom fore ends(2pcs) you win the 922r game even with a foreign buttstock. I have one of those sets(buttstock,u/l hand guards) off of a Romak1 you can have for $10+shipping if you're interested. bikes

Think you would still be coming up short on 922r parts, if nothing else because the handguard(s) just count as one part. Not exactly sure what a Romak 1 stock looks like but if it incorporates a grip (and I think it does) that counts as two foreign parts (I think) if not US made.

Edited by tritium

Handguard, gas piston, and FCG would take care of US parts needs if you wanted to use a foreign drag stock. I can do two piece handguards on the Saga rifles, including PSL style lower, but two piece handguards on Saiga shotguns are yet to come in R&D. If you want to be the first we can talk. Also, if you like the foreign drag stock go for it, but you can lick your US parts compliance using a US made FCG and a Dragunov style buttstock from me without having to do the piston swap, which I consider a huge pain on the Saiga. And my Dragunov style buttstocks are designed to be styled as close to the original dragunov as possible. Romak stocks don't come close by comparison. They just cost less on an order of magnitude.

You may be right if the gastube wood is not counted as a seperate part. Tapco sells the gas tube with upper hand guard for the SKS as a compliance part. Since these Romaks were imported with this stock they must have met the "sporting rifle definition"also so the thumbhole must be ok .

No intent to confuse or corrupt here, bikes

40bikes, thanks for the offer. Plastic parts already on order for my 410. Still trying to get my hands on a 12, not sure I want to put the cart before the horse. I peeked at BRG's profile and I love his work. WOW! I bet he cant match your $10 offer though! :P:D I will definately put wood on the 12 when I get it. Decisions... decisions....

40bikes, thanks for the offer. Plastic parts already on order for my 410. Still trying to get my hands on a 12, not sure I want to put the cart before the horse. I peeked at BRG's profile and I love his work. WOW! I bet he cant match your $10 offer though! :P:D I will definately put wood on the 12 when I get it. Decisions... decisions....

The difference being BRG is an artisan producing USmade compliance craftsmanship and what I was offering was probably cut with a chainsaw from Romanian rocket crates :rolleyes: bikes