New Guy Here!!

Hi all,

I've been looking around and really like the "Sniperized" long barrelled .308 Saiga rifles. It looks like a cool way to aquire a Com Bloc looking sharpshooters rifle. I do have a few questions though.

1) How hard are the furniture conversions?

2) Is there a minimum parts requirement for making the changes, if so is there a list somewhere?

3) What kind of accuracy are you guys getting and is anyone handloading for their rifle?

4) Do these rifles require a trigger upgrade and if so are they readily available and user friendly?

Thanks much!

Paul

Edited by Hundt

Thanks for the heads up. I did some reading. If I understand correctly, I need to add a fire control group (3 parts) and then American made furniture (two parts) and I'll be good to go. I like the "saiganov" look. Is that all there is to comply with 922r and get the rifle I'm looking for? Thanks,

Paul

Sounds correct to me. I'm amazed at the wealth of information here on this forum. the members her are the most helpful I've seen as well. I'm a member of 6 or so AK boards and the guys here are the helpful ones on the other boards as well.

Pointer, that is an awsome s308. Do tell about the furniture - that makes me want another long barrel to work on :)

Hundt: - here is a link to a site that details step-by-step siaga conversion: http://www.cross-conn.com/Saiga_Conversion/Step_1.htm

Its home built,i get alot of people ask about it.Ill do the short version.Stock was from Interordnance,shaped a piece of yellow pine to fit inside stock&epoxyed in place,shaped a piece of appr 1/8" sheet metal for buttstock end,drilled 4 holes (2 to attach metal buttpad to stock/2 for the screws to hold on the spacers& butt pad) Cut 2 -1/2" copper pipe 3/4" long for spacers,painted what was needed black,used a buttpad that could be shaped to fit any stock,used two 2 1/2" screws thru buttpad/spacers/metal buttplate into wood in stock,screwed the cheek piece to the top of the stock..Very solid,and added appr 2" to the length of the stock set up.I find most stocks on Saigas and AK's to be to short when used with a long scope.

Oh, and total cost wasnt more than $50 bucks or so. I did this a few years ago,i think the stock was $35,cheek piece was $10 and i got the buttpad at a gun show for $5 bucks.

Edited by Pointer
Pointer, that is an awsome s308. Do tell about the furniture - that makes me want another long barrel to work on :)

Hundt: - here is a link to a site that details step-by-step siaga conversion: http://www.cross-conn.com/Saiga_Conversion/Step_1.htm

Its home built,i get alot of people ask about it.Ill do the short version.Stock was from Interordnance,shaped a piece of yellow pine to fit inside stock&epoxyed in place,shaped a piece of appr 1/8" sheet metal for buttstock end,drilled 4 holes (2 to attach metal buttpad to stock/2 for the screws to hold on the spacers& butt pad) Cut 2 -1/2" copper pipe 3/4" long for spacers,painted what was needed black,used a buttpad that could be shaped to fit any stock,used two 2 1/2" screws thru buttpad/spacers/metal buttplate into wood in stock,screwed the cheek piece to the top of the stock..Very solid,and added appr 2" to the length of the stock set up.I find most stocks on Saigas and AK's to be to short when used with a long scope.

Oh, and total cost wasnt more than $50 bucks or so. I did this a few years ago,i think the stock was $35,cheek piece was $10 and i got the buttpad at a gun show for $5 bucks.

Well it looks awesome man. It's definately above my skill set to do, but it sure looks uber professional.