M16 Bayonet Doesn't Fit...

Thanks a bunch for that measurement. Sadly, the SIG bayonet's ID is 0.872. If there was a huge interest, I might get a reamer for the bayonets. Or possibly make a one piece mount with an extension beyond the barrel.

What say ye all?

I could also make one for Mauser Bayonets that puts the whole thing under the barrel.

the SIG bayonet's ID is 0.872.  If there was a huge interest, I might get a reamer for the bayonets.

What say ye all?

thats not much metal to ream out. it could be done with just a cheap grinding stone and a drill by anybody with patience.

I'd like to just see a elevated front site like on an original AK47 but with a lug to fit the Sig bayonet. make it so the site can be clamped on to adjust so that the ring of the bayonet is .5" or so down the barrel.

as for huge interest , i won't speak for anyone else but i have a huge interest in a few with the lug and I'd bet that even without the lug there are many looking for better sites for these shotguns.

WHICH AK bayonet is the question. I'd sure like to know what's out there so I can make lugs for AKs.

Well I have two russian, and a Romanian laying around in a box somewhere. But I do know that when I had them out they would fit on my Romy AK, but had TONS of slack around the barrel

• 2 weeks later...

unless you're planning on using the ww1-style bayo setup, i don't think you'll be able to use the ak bayo. there's no way you'll be able to get the ring over the muzzle, there's just not enough metal there. i think only bayos made for the m16 series will work, if you want to go the route where the ring fits over the muzzle. you'll have to mill/file/whatever some metal off but you'll still have a sturdy ring left over...plus, there's a lot more variety and accessibility with 16 bayos than with either (collectible) mauser bayos or those swiss bayos. you can even get m16 bayos with 16" blades if you want!

brg3, how are you going to secure the assembly to the barrel? will you have like a dove-tail or do it like the trenchgun, mill grooves into the barrel and have the attaching screws/pins lock the assembly to the barrel?

I definitely want to do it, but there are a few projects ahead of it.

I'm currently working on G3 mag adaptors for 308 Saigas, and other plans include:

Clamp on Handguard retainer for Saiga 223 and X39

Semi-free float RPK handguard for 308 Saiga

AR-15 grip adaptor for AKM

Permanent, good feeding AR mag adaptor for Saiga 223

Front sites for Saiga 12

Gas block mounted front sites for Saiga X39 and 223

Skeleton Stocks for AKM and VEPR

Also, my milling machine is working, but my lathe is going a little bonkers, and I can't be putting out crappy products.

If you don't mind boring out your Sig bayonet for the larger barrel diameter, I can probably model the lug on a friend's S-20 and just bore out the hole bigger. This version wouldn't have a front site, But I'm debating whether it should be the same assembly anyway.

Edited by BattleRifleG3

brg3, i saw the bayo at the marine expo at quantico and the rep said they would have them for sale to individuals but i noticed they don't have it listed on their website. i sent them an email but so far no response...

i have pics of it from their sales brochures and will post them if i ever get my scanner working again...

on the lug, won't it work loose if you secure it like scope rings? this was a prob they had with the early m1897 trench gun. the bayonet hanging off the end creates a lot of unevenly spaced weight and also using the bayonet causes additional torquing, the bayonet would end up spinning around the barrel. they remedied this by milling grooves into the underside of the barrel where the screws went to secure the assembly to the barrel...kind of like the pin used to secure the little detent/pin hooyah on the muzzle of a preban ak...does this make sense at all?

My dilemma is that my lathe isn't agreeing with me as much as I'd like it to, which is putting a damper on the whole extended muzzle thing. If guys were willing to ream/drill/grind open the loop on their bayonet, the bayonet could just go over the muzzle. I had the idea of putting set screws in at angles that would increase the hold on the barrel. Drilling and pinning the barrel would be harder for do-it-yourselfers (it's easier to make the lug than to drill that precisely.)

In the meantime, I'll be making one for the Saiga 20.

• 2 months later...

Just to revive this thread,wheres a source for a bayonet lug for a M16 bayo? I may have to buy a Front site post with lug or the DPMS barrel lug and cut it off.Any other suggestions? Im planning on welding it on unless something comes up that clamps to the barrel and still looks good.

post-2-1100488865.jpg

Here's a source for just the lug... Add-a-lug

Im not 100% that lug will work.I think the lug has to hang down just a bit more to put the Bayo straight on the 12.It should work for those that are putting the front site posts on,but without the site post the top will have to be ground flat and it may not hang low enouph??

One of the alternatives people discussed here was the use of the Swiss STG-57 bayonet, and I even started a thread about it.

Long story short, the lug can be made from a 1/4" hex bit so long as it has the

groove milled into it. It fits nicely into the hole into the back and engages the

catch with no problems. The ring needs to be reamed out a bit to fit over the barrel

but thats a given.

My "no gunsmithing" mount idea is to get an extended magazine clamp for

a Remington 870, and then some kind of accessory from Home Depot that uses

a 1/4" hex drive and will fit the clamp. Won't look pretty but it should work fine.

Of course, the flash hider might negate that entirely