Tromix Saiga12 Question

Longtime lurker, first time poster on this board. Already searched this board and others for my answer but didn't find it anywhere.

Recently got a new Tromix S12. Finally took it out to the range the other day and the dang thing would not cycle using standard department store clays loads. Specifically what is happening is a FTE- sometimes the empty case jams between the BC and topcover, sometimes the bolt is closed and the empty case still in the chamber. Happens about 80% of the time. I'm using the factory 5 rd mag (many AGP mags on order and/or waiting list). Haven't shot a Saiga before, but there seems to be a lot of gas coming back at me through the ejection port. Maybe that's normal.

I thought these things were supposed to feed anything. I'm probably doing something wrong. :unsure:

No instruction manual came with the shotgun, couldn't find one that addressed my situation.

I noticed on the far end of the gas tube that there's a nut that is inscribed with a '1' and a '2', locked in place by a spring loaded pin.

Is this an adjustable gas system?

Or do I need better ammo until the gun is broken in?

TIA for your replies....

Gratuitous pic:

DSC00002.JPG

Hello, As far as the 1 and 2 settings, it is an adjustable system, see the post in the FAQ section. The "1" setting is for magnum and high power shells, it partially shuts off the gas port to save the receiver from the extra recoil, setting "2" is for standard rounds, my guess is that your's is set on "1" and is not letting enough gas through to cycle the full action, however, I don't know why your getting gas in your face. Maybe give Tony at Tromix a call.

Yes that is the gas adjustment. What position is it on? If yer shooting clay loads and it's on 1 then ya need to go to 2. 1 is for nasty 2 is for nice. Some guns will cycle anything on 1 some won't so ya change to 2 for the lower powered rounds.

If Saiga life were only that simple. First, not all cheapo ammo will work. MOST WILL, but not all. Your Saiga sweatheart was designed for mil applications, and therefore, pretty much high brass anything will work flawlessly. BUT. . .we who are not governments and actually have to pay for our ammo at matches and for fun plinking must use discount TARGET loads (low brass). You should be using an y "target loads" ( including Win silver box cheapos) that have a shot load of 1oz. or better, for the needed back-pressure to cycle the gun. You seem to have bought a long barreled gun, so the gas porting should not be a problem. One preliminary question: was your gun shortened from 22" to 18.5"? If so, your gas ports may be designned for the longer barrel. If it came as the 19", then you have the proper porting, which leaves only the ammo. I once bought some sale ammmo that was "express" for clay pidgeons. That was 7/8 oz, and not 1 oz or heavier. The problem with that is that the shot doesn't spend enough time in the barrel to allow the action to cycle. I had to sell the case to a skeet shotter.

I was once told by other popular tube-fed gas operated shotty users that the the Win 1300 fps AA ammmo will work well in Siagas. I recently found that my 2000 issue S-12 hates it, but my 20006 S-12 will TOLERATE it with only a few stovepipes. The 2006 LOVES Win target (low brass) #8 and #7.5 shot, and as I said, will use the Win AA 1300 fps ammo. My 2000 S-12 will only use the Win #7.5 and prefers the #8. They both will, of course, run any high brass or mil-type ammo in buck or slug. Find out what your new baby wants to eat.

Edited by inparidel

If your gun is full-length, then Tony didn't modify the gas system. He only tunes the shorties, so your gun fires the same way it did before mods.

Due to the volume of orders, Tony doesn't test-fire guns that are PG conversion only- he does performs various function checks.

What setting is your gas adjuster on?