16" .308 speed

Hi all , I'm trying to find out if anyone has chronographed their 16" barrel .308 , with surplus , or commercial .308 , or whatever . I'm curious to see if theres really that much loss of speed in a 16" barrel.

If anyone has an answer please post , or refer me to a previous post . Thanks for the great forum!

I don't have my data handy, but I ran some handloads, South African, 80's PAK, 70's Indian and some Portuguese across the Chrono about two weeks ago. Rounds out of my 16" S-308 go about 100 fps slower than published velocities on just about any given load. Off the top of my head, I recall that the South African averaged about 2550 fps. That same load runs about 2640 fps in my 21" FAL.

In my experience on going with shorter barrels (regardless of caliber), shortning a barrel from - say 24", down to 16", you lose around 20 FPS per inch (+/- 15%)- depending on the bore construction and ammo quality. (IE: How "tight" the bore is, chrome plating?, twist..., etc). Once you go below 16", all kinds of wierd things happen, but mostly - you drop from 50 to 65 FPS per inch under 16". A 12", S-308 barrel would probably yield something in the neighborhood of 2300 FPS (with SA surplus ammo) - which is marginally better that 7.62x39 out of a 16" barrel, given the bullet weight of each).

Others may argue this point, but that is my experience. (Don't get me wrong - I think SBR's are way cool, but in a fighting rifle or competition rifle, If I am gonna use .308, I wannna see the benefit of .308)

The 16" S-308 barrel is very heavy (Large diameter) for it's length and stabilizes bullets in the NATO spec weight range very well (at a 1-12.5" twist, according to the SAIGA / Izhmesh site). Most Mil-Spec FAL barrels (1-12") are fairly thin for their length, un-chromed and become victims of heat more quickly...

(Oddly enough - My 13", Ithaca M37, SBS - shooting Remington 7/8 oz HV slugs (@ 1800 fps according to the box info) Chronos them at 1643 fps - average. My buddies 19" Saiga-12 registers 1655 fps with the same ammo from the same lot. That's about an 12 FPS loss for a loss of 6" of barrel. That's only about a loss of 2 FPS per inch of barrel length. I can't explain why and I wondered if my DATA lied, but there it is... just fyi)

Again - just my experience....

In my experience on going with shorter barrels (regardless of caliber), shortning a barrel from - say 24", down to 16", you lose around 20 FPS per inch (+/- 15%)- depending on the bore construction and ammo quality. (IE: How "tight" the bore is, chrome plating?, twist..., etc). Once you go below 16", all kinds of wierd things happen, but mostly - you drop from 50 to 65 FPS per inch under 16". A 12", S-308 barrel would probably yield something in the neighborhood of 2300 FPS (with SA surplus ammo) - which is marginally better that 7.62x39 out of a 16" barrel, given the bullet weight of each).

Others may argue this point, but that is my experience. (Don't get me wrong - I think SBR's are way cool, but in a fighting rifle or competition rifle, If I am gonna use .308, I wannna see the benefit of .308)

The 16" S-308 barrel is very heavy (Large diameter) for it's length and stabilizes bullets in the NATO spec weight range very well (at a 1-12.5" twist, according to the SAIGA / Izhmesh site). Most Mil-Spec FAL barrels (1-12") are fairly thin for their length, un-chromed and become victims of heat more quickly...

(Oddly enough - My 13", Ithaca M37, SBS - shooting Remington 7/8 oz HV slugs (@ 1800 fps according to the box info) Chronos them at 1643 fps - average. My buddies 19" Saiga-12 registers 1655 fps with the same ammo from the same lot. That's about an 12 FPS loss for a loss of 6" of barrel. That's only about a loss of 2 FPS per inch of barrel length. I can't explain why and I wondered if my DATA lied, but there it is... just fyi)

Again - just my experience....

How fast is a 7.62x39 on average?

Published velocities (supposedly out of a 16" barrel) run 2250-2450 fps. My experience out of an AK is around 2200 - 2250-ish fps, regardless of ammo maker or rifle, when using mil-surp or Wolf ammo.

(Note* - 7.62x39 Wolf 154 grain SP ammo clocked an average of 2062 fps (with an SD of 13) out of my AIA, M-10, 20" bolt gun and was very consistent. low was 2043 fps, high was 2081 fps - out of 20 rounds tested... Much better than any mil-surp or 123 grain Wolf I have tested...)

Edited by macbeau
Published velocities (supposedly out of a 16" barrel) run 2250-2450 fps. My experience out of an AK is around 2200 - 2250-ish fps, regardless of ammo maker or rifle, when using mil-surp or Wolf ammo.

(Note* - 7.62x39 Wolf 154 grain SP ammo clocked an average of 2062 fps (with an SD of 13) out of my AIA, M-10, 20" bolt gun and was very consistent. low was 2043 fps, high was 2081 fps - out of 20 rounds tested... Much better than any mil-surp or 123 grain Wolf I have tested...)

Dang, that's the ammo I really wanted to know about, since it's about the same weight. I've been sold on chopping my barrel, and I'm still gonna use it for hunting. I think it will still have the stopping power that I'm looking for, thanks for the data. I didn't think anyone would have it!

I just saw a report on the Cor-Bon 150 gr x39 load in a 16 incher. Went 2200 fps. The bullet thats used should expand ok out to 100 yards or so on a deer.

I'd think you'd be fine out to 150 with that load. A 30-30 with a 150 grain is good to 175 at least.

http://www.tacticalforums.com/cgi-bin/tact...t=000956#000000

(from SGN, platform was a FAL with a 16.25" barrel)

By projectile weight:

Hornady TAP 110gr 2894fps

Santa barbara surplus 146gr 2611

Horn. Spire point 150gr 2635

Black Hills Boattail 150gr 2643

Horn. TAP 155gr 2567

Rem. Nosler Ballistic tip 165gr 2573

Sellier&Bellot Match 168gr 2419

Black Hills Match 175gr 2378

Hope this helps,

C-

Edited by cpileri
I don't have my data handy, but I ran some handloads, South African, 80's PAK, 70's Indian and some Portuguese across the Chrono about two weeks ago. Rounds out of my 16" S-308 go about 100 fps slower than published velocities on just about any given load. Off the top of my head, I recall that the South African averaged about 2550 fps. That same load runs about 2640 fps in my 21" FAL.

What was your elevation above sea level. I am sure this would effect the muzzle velocity. The higher up the faster the bullet would go(thinner air the higher you go) Also the Saiga has a new barrel of coarse it may be slower you just have to wear it down a little(round after round).

What was your elevation above sea level. I am sure this would effect the muzzle velocity. The higher up the faster the bullet would go(thinner air the higher you go) Also the Saiga has a new barrel of coarse it may be slower you just have to wear it down a little(round after round).

Well - I am at about 10 - 12 feet ASL (Coastal GA), but that won't effect muzzle velocity in any noticable way. (BTW - Chronograph for all tested ammo was done at a measured 10' in front muzzles.)

Altitude affects bullet performance (flight path) over distance and pretty much any differences would be un-noticable under 15,000' where the range is 100 yds or less. As you go higher, the air density is less (equating to less resistance / friction on bullets) and trajectories generally flatten out as you go higher. However, under 300 yards, you won't see a huge difference in POA / POI from MSL to about 15,000. That's wat the Army taught me anyway...

Edited by macbeau