help me with Tapco

I'm asking all who read this thread to take a minute and e-mail Tapco and tell them your looking for US compliant parts for your saiga 12 shotgun.

ask WHEN they'll be offering a US made gas piston for your saiga 12 .

if enough of us ask they'll see there is a market for this gun and invest in making parts , if you read this and don't bother to even e-mail and ask then your no better than dianne fienstien in my opinion :ded:

customerservice@tapco.com

Click and paste

dear Tapco,

as a member of the saiga 12 forum , I'm writing to ask you to start producing and selling U.S. compliant parts for these great guns. we the owners of these guns are in desperate need of more U.S. made parts specifically , a gas piston and magazines in 2, 5 , 8 or 10 round capacities.

We as a group are trying to show there is a market and are asking you to provide the products we need just like you've done in the past for the fal,hk91,AK,and the AMD65.

Thank You , from a prospective customer.

I myself dont care so much about the magazines or gas pistons, or US parts count, so much as having a front sight on the end of my barrel for the larger sight plane. Im looking into a "poor man's" version of a front sight, and I will share my results when I have them. nobody is importing the buggers, and noone makes one for the saiga12, so instead of hoping someday that someone will make them available again, Im going to figure out how to make them without the need for special tools or welding.

You can become US compliant with a FCG, Pistol grip, and butt stock.  No need to change piston.  I'd check to see if the Saiga shotgun piston is close to the length of the Krinkov piston.

fire control group and butt stock will still leave you one part short by my count, pistol grip has nothing to do with reducing foreign parts as it isn't original.

as for the krinkov piston , thats what got me thinking Tapco would be able to produce them very quickly as they make a US piston for the AMD65.

I myself dont care so much about the magazines or gas pistons, or US parts count, so much as having a front sight on the end of my barrel for the larger sight plane.

tell them what you want , but tell them. this isn't just about what is right for one guy , its about pulling together to show a manufacturer there is a profit to be made making after-market parts and supplies for these guns.

:killer:

if you look at the imported parts list, its on the AWB. when the ban lifts, that wont matter. so if it does? what do you think will happen?

either way, the FCG as I understand it, has more than one US made part in it if you swap it entirely out. hammer, sear, disconnector, and firing pin. (if you DID make your gun illegally fullauto, and used it in an extended shootout, the lower carbon parts WILL fail you, and that is what that is REALLY about) ...did I miss anything? Its not an issue to me, as I pretty much leave my guns as is, and save my efforts and time to buy more guns.

The foregrip counts as a US made part for the barrel shield part, or upper part of the foregrip if you replace it, not the bottom. Interestingly, the gas tube is ANOTHER part. Does a replacement gas piston/upper foregrip count as two US made parts if you replace them? I think you better get a lawyer :) how is THAT for a stupid answer? blame the law makers that say one thing and dont know WHAT they are talking about, then trying to push that they actually MEANT that part too. go figure. the law is lawless in times of need, and that applies to these guns too, if you ask me. the bottom half of an AK type foregrip does not shield the barrel from burning your hand when the barrel is hot, but allows you to hold it in a normal fashion like every other gun on the market. the buttstock counts, though I do not know why. if pistol grip and buttstock counted seperate, you would see thumbhole stocks with flash suppressors on the muzzles of the guns they were on, if you ask me. its a street that noone has the directions to, as the ATF says what they THINK the law means, and force onto us what thier interpretations are. Also, if you replace the follower in your magazine with one you made yourself, you get one more US made part in your gun. Another interesting item for the shotgun issue is the 8 round magazine. the law says specifically about tubular magazines, but leaves out the round count on detachable magazines, and only stipulates a rotary magazine in essence, yet the magazines that are more than 5 rounds are LEO only. Here is another fine example of uncle sam trying, failing, then doing it anyway. what a country we live in that these law makers get elected and are allowed a license to do whatever they want.

"oh its not in there, jack"

"yeh? well lets just say it is, ok, tom?"

"ok jack, dont tell anybody"

I wonder if the gov would buy out the company that decides to mass produce 10 round mags for saiga12's. if my logic is sound, they will, and I want to own it. 10 rounds according to the LAW is the limit on these particular shotguns, and I dont care how one reads it. Ive checked. I highly doubt that I have missed a law. semi-auto clip fed shotgun == 10 rounds limit unless it is a tube mag, and you have too many bad things on it to add the rounds. 10 rounds is the centerfire, autoloading limit, and should damn well apply to saiga12's and 20's, and because they overlooked that part, they STALL, biding time for thier new laws that Im sure will be put to congress the minute the ATF prints it out, so noone can read it.

ANYway, US parts count from postban parts means you replace the said part with a lower case hardened rating part, which is made in the US under law to those specifications. So unless you HAVE to, I wouldnt go replacing anything that is still sound. And if anyone wants to challenge this, I suggest they go look up alloy in the ATF....go do YOUR homework if you fall into this line of opinion, and dont bother me with searching for your benefit if you dont believe me. anyone that "calls" me on b.s. so far, really hasnt proven that I am wrong yet when it really matters, so....OH WELL.

I would leave your 12 gauge alone for now, if you ask me. I doubt anyone will be allowed a tax permit to manufacture 10 round shotgun magazines any time soon, (even though they WOULD be legal to make and sell and use if made in-country) nor will PG be allowed on them. I doubt the russian flash suppresors will become legal any time soon to import either without a license, let alone the ATF actually permitting tax stamp for a dealer to make them. if they do, they will say, "go ahead buy them, but we just passed a special law to prevent you from using them".

There are 20 parts, of which you may only have 10 imported and it remain a domestic rifle. They are:

1 Barrel

2 Receiver

3 Trunion

4 Barrel extension

5 Barrel attachment

6 Gas piston

7 Operating rod

8 Bolt

9 Bolt carrier

10 Trigger

11 Trigger housing

12 Hammer

13 Disconnecter

14 Sear

15 Buttstock

16 Handguard

17 Pistol grip

18 Mag floorplate

19 Mag body

20 Mag follower

Trigger group is 3 parts. Gas tubes and firing pins are unaffected by the import law.

Edited by BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3:

11 should be trigger guard (housing), not group.

Warning, reading the below will indebt you to me .02 cents.

Seems like the foriegn parts that you are stuck with (VERY Difficult/expensive) would have to include ...

1. BBL

2. Reciever

3. Trunion

4. Bolt

5. Bolt Carrier

6-8. Mag body, follower, baseplate

Seems like the parts that don't exist currently (so if you ever added them, do so with domestic, or replace a foriegn part in it's stead)

1. BBL extension

2. BBL attachment

3. Op rod

4. Pistol Grip

5. Sear (this is for full auto?)

So, the parts that would be OPTIONAL replacementsare below. You can keep up to 2 of these foriegn (ie replace 5). Of course, if you put a foriegn part from the "not existing" section on, then you'd have to adjust here.

1. Trigger

2. Trigger Guard

3. Hammer

4. Disconnector

5. Buttstock

6. Handguard

7. Gas Piston

IMO, if you do one trigger thing, then do them all. This is 4 parts. Folding butstock makes 5. Don't forget that we'll need a domestic PG, even tho we are not "replacing it" we are adding it. IMO, this makes the conversion VERY doable. If you are wanting rails and such (I don't, at least not currently) then it makes sense to ask for a domestic handguard with integral rails.

So my current plan is to leave the gas piston in, and keep original handguard.

HTH, YMMV, yada, yada, yada

Forget TAPCO, talk to K-VAR. :smoke:

yhea , but tapco responds back to us.

besides MY budget goes much better on Tapco prices.

Fire Control Group = FGC

http://www.tapco.com/product_information.a...dept=39&last=39

40.00 bucks at tapco IN STOCK or

http://www.k-var.com/product.asp?3=297

http://www.k-var.com/manufacturer.asp?2=1082&6=2

MSRP 120.00 SOLD OUT at K-var ( OK msrp isn't really their sale price but you get the idea)

:killer:

So, a trigger housing, is actually a trigger guard??? Why don't they call it a trigger guard then? Seems like it would be simple enough to change a trigger guard on a AK type weapon but not on others. I figured a Trigger housing was something akin to the trigger packs that are on G3 type rifles, 10/22's and other rifles. Both house the fire control groups, but are a separate piece from the receiver.

trigger housing is where on the lawbooks the trigger guard is located, and the trigger guard is a primary component to it. that is why it is an interchangeable term sometimes. it always isnt like that. look at an AR15 trigger guard. it is a 2" flat piece of metal that is pinned between the pistol grip and magwell.....that is a trigger guard, but not a trigger housing. your 10/22 is a housing with a trigger guard on it....just a simple way of interchangeablity that isnt truely interchangeable..... confusing isnt it?

• 2 weeks later...