Need a dremel recommendation

I'm shopping for a quality dremel to do, among other things, a saiga conversion (which involves some metal drilling).

The two models I'm looking at are:

Dremel 3956-02

Dremel 400-6/90

The only thing that worries me is that the cheaper one may not have enough power, where as the more expensive one has some pretty skunked reviews about it burning out and being cheaply made etc.

Anyone have experience / opinions with either of these? Any other dremel recommendations?

I bought a Black & Decker dremel at Walmart, under 30 bucks. Kicks ass, without a doubt.

RTX does look nice, and few complaints about sturdiness that I can find.

How is it for accessories and bits and such? Dremel access. kits are really common online, I can't find many kits for the rtx.

I'm shopping for a quality dremel to do, among other things, a saiga conversion (which involves some metal drilling).

The two models I'm looking at are:

Dremel 3956-02

Dremel 400-6/90

The only thing that worries me is that the cheaper one may not have enough power, where as the more expensive one has some pretty skunked reviews about it burning out and being cheaply made etc.

Anyone have experience / opinions with either of these? Any other dremel recommendations?

I would get the biggest motored unit that you can. The is a tool that you will use for a lot of things, besides gun work. There are running at high RPMs I would not skrimp on this.

Options are Dremel, Proxxon, Black and Decker.

Everyone says proxxon is german made and super reliable, but I'm skeptical of accessory availability.

Dremel has lots of accessories, good support, but lots of rumours on the internet of "burning out after only x number of weeks".

Black and Decker seems to have more torque and powerful motor.

I'm also curious to know if Dremel bits/accesories fit Black and Decker/Proxxon and vice versa....

I bought a Black & Decker dremel at Walmart, under 30 bucks. Kicks ass, without a doubt.

RTX does look nice, and few complaints about sturdiness that I can find.

How is it for accessories and bits and such? Dremel access. kits are really common online, I can't find many kits for the rtx.

Not too many attachments, but the few that do come with it work well. The parts are semi-interchangeable between different dremels, at least from my experience. Also, I purchased some quality cutoff wheels, but had to modify them slightly in order to make them fit (the center attachment hole on the discs needed to be enlarged a millimeter or two to the diamter).

The speed has three settings, but is fully variable in between any of those settings. I've never really had to use the high speed setting yet.

For $30, I really have no complaints.

I have one of the better black and decker models. I didnt go cordless, simply because I use it for work usually, and dont need to worry about charging any more batteries than I need to. it has a variable rate adjustment, and Ive used it to do quite a bit of things. I put a rotozip bit in it or drill bit in it to cut hoples in sheetrock, Ive used it straight up as a drill, ive cut tile with it, glass, all kinds of different metal.

my biggest suggestion for you is to make damn SURE you wear glasses or goggles when your using one, because it spins so fast, if a bit or tool shatters or your stock breaks, it will be moving at a very high velocity.

The Dremel tool I used for my conversion was a 30 year old Model 245 cranking out a whopping .6 amps, no attachments. It did the job. It looks like the current Dremel "bottom of the line" tool is the Model 275.02 with 1.15 amps. That should do it twice as well! ;)

I have the one in the FIRST link... although I didnt get the flex shaft with mine... I have used it for YEARS and I think 7 saiga conversions, among tons of other jobs... Never a problem...

Go corded... battery/cordless ones dont have the ass you need for ANY job...

I agree with most of the folks here, though... go with the inexpensive ones... most of the cost comes from extra whistles and bells...

I forget where I got mine... I think I got it at sears... maybe Lowes... I dont know... but again... I have used mine for years, with NEVER a hiccup.

( Now that I have said that, its going to blow up tomorrow...watch! LOL :lol: )

:smoke: