Home made laminate furniture

The laminate is from Sarco. I think it was a Remington stock blank. The fore end is connected by a piece of 3/8 aluminum. It's a friction fit into the receiver. At the end of the Al, its bent 90 deg with a grove that fits the barrel. A single pan head screw in the stock hole holds the fore end on which buts up to the bottom of the trunion.

DSC00115a.jpg

Mod 2 will include a full length aluminum support and an end plate with a sling attachment point.

The rest of it is pretty standard stuff. I am reusing the butt plate from a Saiga synthetic stock I had floating around. I just have to finish sand it and apply some tung oil. On my test piece, the dark part of the wood got really dark and the light part stayed pretty light. Should be a good effect when its done.

...Your continued use of 3/8 in. Aluminum has me a little worried...

How can you say such a thing, Compadre? FWIW, I'm looking at using some 1/4" or 3/8" aluminum (2024) in an off-the-shelf, 'scratch-built' AR-15 lower. I would suggest (based on not a whole heck of a lot of experience ;>) that 3/8" aluminum rates as 'GOOD STUFF.'

Amen! (HERE'S TO 'GOOD STUFF!!!' ;>)

Why on earth would you worry?

;>)

Bob, I've got a big plank of 1100 Al that I use for everything. It's kind of a joke. Your avatar looks like a shirt I have from Mid-Ohio Blacksmiths, MOB rule #1, don't set self on fire

Rule #1 - do not set yourself on fire (pay attention here, folks! My wife worked in a burn ward - DO NOT EVER SET YOURSELF ON FIRE! ).

Rule #2 - use the material you have in the shop (I did the same for my Orlite floorplates! ;>).

Hey, Compadre, sounds like you're definitely on top of things, as far as I'm concerned (for whatever my opinion is worth, which is everything you paid for it! ;>)...

BB, not serious, Havoc is just trying to prod me into my own wood work project, and I'm just jealous because I only have 1/4" Al. to work with. I'vebeen a "run what you brung" junk yard tech all my life.

Amen to that! Like I said..

Rule #2 - use the material you have in the shop...

You're way ahead of me, Compadre!

;>)