At the risk of sounding stupid, how do you disassemble a saiga?

I bought a .223 Saiga but can't figure out how to disassemble it. The button to release the dust cover (number 1 in the attached image) will not go in. I assume I am doing something wrong but I don't know what, so any help would be appreciated. I have searched the web but have not been able to find a guide.

Also, can anyone tell me what the metal protrusion is in what is labeled as number 2 in the attached image?

post-5515-1172626708_thumb.jpg

You came to the right place.

You are correct in labling that part number one. If it's stuck just take a rubber or plastic mallet and whack it good and it should push all the way in after that. If you need to, use a wooden dowel or anything softer than steel and punch it all the way through with a hammer. Once you do this you can look and see what the problem was and take steps to correct it (probably the rear block has been punished in some way and the dovetail joint the recoil spring "button" rides in has been dinged or something) I don't know how this can happen with a small cartridge like a .223 but I have seen it happen with Saiga 12s when shooting heavy loads on the wrong gas setting and or with no recoil buffer installed. No matter what is wrong you have to push that button all the way in to pop the top cover and field strip the rifle.

The button number 2 in the image is the bolt hold open lever. You push that up while retracting the bolt and it holds the carrier back in the open position.

Check the 410 section... there is a sticky there that I wrote... "tear down instructions" It is for the 410... but MOST of it will cross reference to the rifles...

It will set ya straight.

:smoke: