Aim surplus may soon sell Russian steel cased 12 gauge shells.

In answer to my own question, MEC apparently makes press for steel-hull shotshells like Bernaul. MEC :D

Bernaul stuff looks nice. MagTech also makes steel shotshell brass. MagTech But, NOT at WalMart :huh:

I'm guessing here, but I'll bet the press is adjustable as to depth of the roll holding the components in, eliminating magazine problems. That's my hope, too.

As far as "silence" reference above, suspect whoever it was was too busy bustin caps to write; and then had to shower before bedtime. That'll be my excuse anyway...

jh

The case of Barnaul I had was labeled 0000 buck shot. Not exactly sure what that was, but it was more pellets than 9 or 12 00, but less than 1 or 2 shot it seemed. The edges of the metal rim were somewhat sharp so I didn't trust them to cycle well in my 8 round mags (thus the plastic shaving mentioned earlier). If you have plastic shavings coming from your mag you will have some bind up. They wouldn't even fit more then one or two rounds in my 10 round AGP mags, too long.

Sportsman's Guide used to sell these and CTD for cheap prices in the 0000 buck size. very nice.

Push the follower down with the back of a shell on the center of the round. Roll the shell into position pushing down and back with the shell. Do it again, pushing down on the middle of the loaded shell with the next one. When you get you'r fingers trained it verry quick to load mags. This works on both S-12 ans S-,410.

So the Barnaul steel shells would be good as your first round in any mag size,followed by such thing as Sellier and Bellot loadings?That is how I would load to avoid the #1 round deformation.I believe the rest in the mag is a non-issue for deformation,right???

Yes, I think only the top round deforms.

Barnaul also offers slugs in the steel shells.

Resizing the shells a few millimeters might be the best option for perfect function in the 5,8, and 10 rounders. Using a stock 70mm shell as only the top round to prevent initial deformation, might be the next best choice for those that can't resize.

Barnaul might consider distributing a 60 mm loading if Saiga owners present a decent market for them. Then again, Aim might discover other Russian manufacturers of steel cased 12 gauge to sell.

If these are really that popular in Russia, other companies are likely making steel cased shotgun ammo also.

Edited by dog