Anyone else had this happen?

Hmm...

Perhaps Tony can shed some light on things like the Shark Brake (similar to what you show in the pic -but not the same)?

Maybe a particular vent design is better (safer) for shotguns?

I've seen the AK74 brakes out there etc as well. Seeing things like that and understanding the composition of a shotshell, makes me wonder about the safety factor on all such brakes like that.

What were you shooting out of it? Brand/shot type? Home loads? Sabots?

Was it a door breach test and thats the "feedback" from gas pressure when you jam it to the door? (law enforcement types might know this answer).

Is it a "choke" that was then vented (then you shot something that you should'nt through the choked brake?)

What is that one it made out of? Was the muzzle threaded or done afterward (alignment issue?)

Looks like its on an SBS. Wonder how that changes the effectiveness of brakes like that.

Wow...that raised a few questions with me.

~S

Were you rapid firing or anything before you noticed it? Maybe a wad or sabot boot hung up in the brake and when the next load came through, the hang-up could conceivably have slowed the load down just enough to cause the pressure behind it to build up.

By the way, what type of material is the brake made out of? Aluminum or steel? It looks aluminum to me in the picture.