Can anyone tell me if the standard AK gas piston as sold by Tapco will fit the RAA .223 Saiga.

TIA!

An AK-74-type gas piston might be 'more correct' (it's a little bit shorter than the AK-47-type gas piston sold by Tapco):

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=14852

Look under #8 - if Red Jacket uses AK-74-type pistons with his .223 Saigas, that's what I would buy. K-Var's price certainly looks more than reasonable.

Obviously, YMMV, etc., etc., etc.,...

An AK-74-type gas piston might be 'more correct' (it's a little bit shorter than the AK-47-type gas piston sold by Tapco):

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=14852

Look under #8 - if Red Jacket uses AK-74-type pistons with his .223 Saigas, that's what I would buy. K-Var's price certainly looks more than reasonable.

Obviously, YMMV, etc., etc., etc.,...

Well, that makes sense, the Tapco is a little long, but not by much.

I look at it this way, if you are already placing an order with tapco and want to save on shipping, get theirs and just shorten your carrier a little. I have heard that you can just drop'em in without shortening the carrier and everything will work just fine.

If you just dont care about all of that then buying the AK74 piston is probably the way to go.

Most everyones AK pistons are 6 1/4" long.

The Saiga needs a 6" one to be the same length.

My 223 and 308 both have ones I cut down - just removed 1/4" from the end.

However after further review, looks like there is plenty of room for the longer one.

Don't want to sound stupid but, what does changing the gas piston do for a saiga? .223?

What does it make better.

Most common reason to swap out a gas piston would be to add an extra US part to comply with 922r. It has nothing to do with performance.

Don't want to sound stupid but, what does changing the gas piston do for a saiga? .223?

What does it make better.

Most common reason to swap out a gas piston would be to add an extra US part to comply with 922r. It has nothing to do with performance.

I changed mine out because it made just as much sense to buy the compliance combo from Tapco as it did to buy the FCG and PG separate. I didnt need to swap it for compliance but once I had the thing I figured, why not, the more US parts the better. Plus I'm a glutton for punishment I guess, :rolleyes: its not a fun job.

Edited by ArcFault
...I figured, why not, the more US parts the better...

You definitely got that right, Compadre! When it comes to Uncle Sam breathing down your neck, there's no reason on Earth not to have cheap 'insurance'...

;>)