i think i want to do a full conversion. AK handguard and front sight.

my front sight is canted as all hell. i'm thinking if i'm gonna be removing it, i may as well put a proper AK style sight on. what's a good one to buy? i can't have a bayonet lug here in NY or i become a terrorist.

dinzag's handguard retainer is probably the way to go.

i'd like to be able to mount a cleaning rod under the barrel. the front sight retains the rod right?

dinzag sells gas tubes as well? the AK74 gas tube will work won't it?

anything i'm missing here?

my front sight is canted as all hell. i'm thinking if i'm gonna be removing it, i may as well put a proper AK style sight on. what's a good one to buy? i can't have a bayonet lug here in NY or i become a terrorist.

i'd like to be able to mount a cleaning rod under the barrel. the front sight retains the rod right?

Here is a tutorial on how to straiten a canted FSB. http://www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/fsbcantfix.htm

Personally, I would not bother with an AK FSB, just straiten the existing one, and just get a Tritium front sight.

http://www.sksman.com/acces/sights.php

Dinzags parts are the way to go. I speak from experience. His new hand guard retainer is rock solid, and you can get a modified gas tube from him as well that will fit your Saiga.

I found that the original cleaning rod that came with mine is much to long. You can order a regular AK cleaning rod from dozens of sources on the net.

Here is a tutorial on how to straiten a canted FSB. http://www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/fsbcantfix.htm

Personally, I would not bother with an AK FSB, just straiten the existing one, and just get a Tritium front sight.

Dinzags parts are the way to go. I speak from experience. His new hand guard retainer is rock solid, and you can get a modified gas tube from him as well that will fit your Saiga.

I found that the original cleaning rod that came with mine is much to long. You can order a regular AK cleaning rod from dozens of sources on the net.

i need an AK front sight block to hold the cleaning rod right?

AK front sight blocks are like 10 bucks.

if i'm gonna go through the troulbe of punchign out the pins and stuff i may as well spend the 10 dollars....

i need an AK front sight block to hold the cleaning rod right?

AK front sight blocks are like 10 bucks.

if i'm gonna go through the troulbe of punchign out the pins and stuff i may as well spend the 10 dollars....

The standard FSB should have provisions for holding the cleaning rod, too. However, since you are going to be removing it anyway, It's just a matter of personal choice.

if your going to press off the fsb, why not just put a standard lower handguard retainer?

not knocking Dinzag's retainer because its super easy and looks great

don't i have to knock off the gas block too then?

i'm not that much of a glutton for punishment. :chris:

If you can remove the FSB, you can do the gas block too...

And yes, you need an AK front sight block to hold the cleaning rod. The Saiga ones don't have the rod holder.

This is an AK-74 style bulgarian one. It is threaded out front (24mm), has bayonet lugs and cleaning rod holder.

post-2093-1173380403_thumb.jpg

You can get unthreaded ones, but you need to thread the barrel.

If you can remove the FSB, you can do the gas block too...

And yes, you need an AK front sight block to hold the cleaning rod. The Saiga ones don't have the rod holder.

This is an AK-74 style bulgarian one. It is threaded out front (24mm), has bayonet lugs and cleaning rod holder.

post-2093-1173380403_thumb.jpg

You can get unthreaded ones, but you need to thread the barrel.

i'd rather not mess with the gas block if i don't have to. seems like your handguard retainer will be just fine.

once i pound those pins out, how much force is needed to take the front sight off?

i don't believe i can have a threaded muzzle here in NY. same with the bayo lug. seeing how my gun has a pistol grip and a detachable mag. :angel:

i guess i could silver solder a brake on and i'd be ok?

Put a block of wood against the back of the sight tower and smack it off with a hammer.

You can cut it off with a dremel too, just try not to slice into the barrel.

You can get an AK FSB that isn't threaded, and since the barrel isn't threaded you are good to go.

I can made a slip-on set screw brake for that barrel diameter.

I think I have a FSB that doesn't have threads too...

Put a block of wood against the back of the sight tower and smack it off with a hammer.

You can cut it off with a dremel too, just try not to slice into the barrel.

You can get an AK FSB that isn't threaded, and since the barrel isn't threaded you are good to go.

I can made a slip-on set screw brake for that barrel diameter.

I think I have a FSB that doesn't have threads too...

would your slip on muzzle brake be NYS legal?

you don't happen to sell forends gas tubes and handguards too do you?

ah man. i'm in the middle of a 10/22 upgrade kick right now too. this crap is getting expensive. :unsure:

ah man. i'm in the middle of a 10/22 upgrade kick right now too. this crap is getting expensive. :unsure:

beware the evil 10/22 upgrades :devil:

.....i bought one.....started upgrading.....i now have 4.....only one of which is still stock.....too much fun to mod them....so easy to do.....wife thinks i'm nuts.....

I don't know bro...Indy has some of his barrels threaded I think?

I would assume if threaded barrels aren't legal, a slip-on brake would be the way to go, unless the law states that brakes & hiders are a no-no...I have no legal basis for my reasoning. :wacko:

I can get pretty much any parts you want - I frequently order from most of the major supply houses.

beware the evil 10/22 upgrades :devil:

.....i bought one.....started upgrading.....i now have 4.....only one of which is still stock.....too much fun to mod them....so easy to do.....wife thinks i'm nuts.....

yah i had a jamming issue with mine, which i have finally traced to my DIY auto bolt release. i didn't dremel it smooth enough, so it was staying up a little bit sometimes and catching the bolt. :rolleyes:

polished the inside of the reciever too though. many a fun evening with my dremel tool.

i ordered a set of tech-sights for it. next up is a sweet stock and a .920" bull barrel from Green mountain.

the SKS and AK can be boring on the gunsmithing front, as they're not very easy to accurize, and ALWAYS work. :blues:

I don't know bro...Indy has some of his barrels threaded I think?

I would assume if threaded barrels aren't legal, a slip-on brake would be the way to go, unless the law states that brakes & hiders are a no-no...I have no legal basis for my reasoning. :wacko:

I can get pretty much any parts you want - I frequently order from most of the major supply houses.

cool man thanks.

i'll have to talk to indy about it i guess.

maybe once the tax returns come in i'll get some more stuff. i still gotta at least do a bullet guide before hillary tramples on the constitution.