16 or 20" Barrel

Need another one!!

I have a Saiga .223 w/ 16" barrel which is kick ass fun to shoot!

Was at my local gun guys shop the other day & he has couple of .308's right now.

Both w/ the 16 & 20" barrel, & both w/ 8 round mags.

Beings as I have not shot w/ 20" barrel wondering if anyone might have any advice they would be willing to share.

Thanks

I was wondering the same thing and after searching high and low through the old posts essentially the difference is if you plan on shooting at stuff past 300 yards regularly.

Upto 300 yards they work about the same. After that the 20 is better from what people said.

That said when I get my 308 I am going for the 16 inch. Going for a poor man's SOCOM :)

+1 to everything above. It boils down to personal preference, really - if the range is around 300-350m. I love the 16.3" for it's utility, but the 21" has it's merits too - and you can always go shorter, not longer , in cutting the barrel.

I'd say plan on getting one (the one that gives you the biggest boner upon seeing it), then plan on (save for) getting the other. That seems to be the only fix for this disease... :angel:

Macbeau sends...

• 3 months later...

What is the minimum length required to stabilize a .308? I've kicked around the idea of shortening the barrel past the 16 mark and permanently attaching an M60 flash hider to make her legal. I know you shouldn't drop below 10.5 for .223 as you drop it's lethality to an unusable level below that length. It simply can't get enough steam to fragment and do it's job. How's about the .308? Any limit to how small it can be? How's that 8" barrel do? Have you shot it at any gelatin lately? I forgot who bought that one...my apologies...i'm new :)

What is the minimum length required to stabilize a .308? I've kicked around the idea of shortening the barrel past the 16 mark and permanently attaching an M60 flash hider to make her legal. I know you shouldn't drop below 10.5 for .223 as you drop it's lethality to an unusable level below that length. It simply can't get enough steam to fragment and do it's job. How's about the .308? Any limit to how small it can be? How's that 8" barrel do? Have you shot it at any gelatin lately? I forgot who bought that one...my apologies...i'm new :)

I'm not sure on the min length. Though I do know BobAsh has a super shortty .308

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?act=at...st&id=11317

That thing must kick like a mule.

Yea that's the one. While that's extremely exaggerated :P I'd assume that'd be only a blaster just for the noise and show. Do you know if he gets any accuracy out of it? Perhaps he'll see this thread and give us some input. I'd say that, what, the M60 is 3 inches ish so chop the barrel to 14 and perm attach the FH. One should still have some command over where the lead lands right?

I dunno...until now all i've worked with was 5.56 *shrug*