US saiga parts

just got my saiga 12 yesterday and i want to add that russian pistolgrip/folding stock to my gun so i dont have to do the drilling for the conversion... now, i know about the compliance garbage... i need 5 parts without a muzzle break, or 6 with right? i want a muzzle break. infact, i would like for that to be one of my US parts along with a US handguard and a US gas piston. does anyone have a source for these? ive looked on tromix's site and they have some stuff but its expensive. i dont want to pay 100 bucks for a muzzle break. and is their vented OEM handguard considered a US part?

also, i plan on using the 10rd AGP mag exclusively for the other 3 compliance parts.

Edited by jaak
just got my saiga 12 yesterday and i want to add that russian pistolgrip/folding stock to my gun so i dont have to do the drilling for the conversion... now, i know about the compliance garbage... i need 5 parts without a muzzle break, or 6 with right? i want a muzzle break. infact, i would like for that to be one of my US parts along with a US handguard and a US gas piston. does anyone have a source for these? ive looked on tromix's site and they have some stuff but its expensive. i dont want to pay 100 bucks for a muzzle break. and is their vented OEM handguard considered a US part?

also, i plan on using the 10rd AGP mag exclusively for the other 3 compliance parts.

i think that noone cares about the 5 parts rule... if the rule even applies anymore

and its a SHARKBREAK DOOR BREACHER... LOL

good price for a muzzle break... me and my buddy ordered the sharks last week

i think that noone cares about the 5 parts rule... if the rule even applies anymore

No one except those that want to comply with the law.

Do some searching here for "922*" in the search field and spend some time reading the HUGE number of posts that you will find that deal with this issue and you will get lots of answers, and maybe even a few more questions. I know I have gotten more questions!

-Scott

You only need 3 compliance parts for the 12ga. The AGP mag will cover it. You really should consider the true pistol grip conversion vs. the cheap folding stock. The true conversionwill give you a much better feeling weapon and will help balance the weight. If you have the grip behind the receiver all the weight will be in the front.

A saiga-12 only needs 3 compliance parts. The AGP mags will have you good to go. As far as the folding stock. Save your money and don't buy that peice of shit. For the price of one of them you can get all the parts for a true pistolgrip conversion. It is a VERY easy process. It will also make a much better weapon. If your grip is behind the receiver it will make almost all your weight upfront. By doing the pistol grip conversion you will add a better balance and controll to the weapon, You should really consider against that shitty pistolgrip stock.

lots of people have said that too. i guess ill have to do the true pistol grip conversion then. im looking for a drill press now, what is a good(cheap, will do the job, not too big) unit to get? northern tool has one for 50 bucks, and its 1/3 hp. i dont know how much tonage its rated for though. and i thought you needed at least 5 us parts on a saiga?

also, i dont want to get into the legitamacy of 922r. i personally think its BS and i shouldnt have to worry about it, but the ATF might interpret it differently. im going with US parts to cover my ass.

lots of people have said that too. i guess ill have to do the true pistol grip conversion then. im looking for a drill press now, what is a good(cheap, will do the job, not too big) unit to get? northern tool has one for 50 bucks, and its 1/3 hp. i dont know how much tonage its rated for though. and i thought you needed at least 5 us parts on a saiga?

also, i dont want to get into the legitamacy of 922r. i personally think its BS and i shouldnt have to worry about it, but the ATF might interpret it differently. im going with US parts to cover my ass.

You can't have more than 10 foregin parts. The shotguns have 13 parts in the eyes of the atf, so you only need 3 parts. The rifles have 15 parts so you would need 5 for a rifle. You must have read a post on the rifles and thought the part list was the same for both. The $50 press should do just fine and you could probably avoid getting it. Reguard less you could probaly pay for the prees as well as get your trigger, grip and stock, for the price of that peice of shit stock/grip combo.

You can't have more than 10 foregin parts. The shotguns have 13 parts in the eyes of the atf, so you only need 3 parts. The rifles have 15 parts so you would need 5 for a rifle. You must have read a post on the rifles and thought the part list was the same for both. The $50 press should do just fine and you could probably avoid getting it. Reguard less you could probaly pay for the prees as well as get your trigger, grip and stock, for the price of that peice of shit stock/grip combo.

i just ordered the G2 single hook, axis pin retainer plate and disconector spring(just incase) since i cant do any work this weekend anyways because of my back, im not worried about the time it will take. im also trying to get some wooden parts(pgrip, stock and foregrip) from someone on the board... i have a romy pgrip and a wasr 10 stock i can use in the meantime, id like to get some nice wood on it and finish in soviet red. im also not going to rivet the trigger guard in, but use a screw like on another conversion i saw. then im going to refinish the bottom, and paint the lettering white. should be a very nice gun after its all said and done. i might try to sell it at a funshow just to buy another and do it all over again :smoke:

i just ordered the G2 single hook, axis pin retainer plate and disconector spring(just incase) since i cant do any work this weekend anyways because of my back, im not worried about the time it will take. im also trying to get some wooden parts(pgrip, stock and foregrip) from someone on the board... i have a romy pgrip and a wasr 10 stock i can use in the meantime, id like to get some nice wood on it and finish in soviet red. im also not going to rivet the trigger guard in, but use a screw like on another conversion i saw. then im going to refinish the bottom, and paint the lettering white. should be a very nice gun after its all said and done. i might try to sell it at a funshow just to buy another and do it all over again :smoke:

Nothing wrong with selling and doing another. You might get attached to it though. Are you getting your wood furniture from BRG3? He has some nice stuff. Also you can check with Dinzag. He sell easy install retainers for traditional ak hand guard to saiga kits. Not cheap but they are very cheap if you compare to a gunsmith installing original ak hand guards. Would have went with the double hook trigger myself, but if you sell this one you can get that for the next one. Don't forget to show us some pics when your done. Like they say around here " Pics or lies!" Don't listen to McCucumber about not complying with 922. It is to easy to do by the books than to break the law. MikieD

Nothing wrong with selling and doing another. You might get attached to it though. Are you getting your wood furniture from BRG3? He has some nice stuff. Also you can check with Dinzag. He sell easy install retainers for traditional ak hand guard to saiga kits. Not cheap but they are very cheap if you compare to a gunsmith installing original ak hand guards. Would have went with the double hook trigger myself, but if you sell this one you can get that for the next one. Don't forget to show us some pics when your done. Like they say around here " Pics or lies!" Don't listen to McCucumber about not complying with 922. It is to easy to do by the books than to break the law. MikieD

yeah i pm'ed brg3. his stuff looks real nice. i didnt want a double hook trigger due to the added cutting... the less cutting, the better. im not very good with a dremel or drill, i have a tendency to screw things up. 922r is covered, tapco G2 covers that... i still want a muzzle break, but i dont want that stupid shark door buster thing.

well, i just finished the conversion... still waiting on my FCG from dph arms, or whoever they are... cant remember. anyways, i might mock up the saiga trigger tonight just to make sure everything is good to go though... the reciever needs a little touching up... masking tape YES MASKING TAPE ruined some of the finish. peeled right off. thats russian painted finish for you i guess though. anyways, im very happy with it... just wish i could fire it. hopefully my back will be ok by next weekend. just need to place my order for a stock set from BG and ill be good to go. pics coming later tonight.

Congrats on your newest baby, careful, might eat you out of house and home.

I'm going to post this here as a warning because of some of the advice above.

Saiga has 13 parts as it was imported. That means 13 without a pistol grip. So, when adding a PG you have a 14 part shotgun (in the eyes of the law). Simply adding a mag to the shotgun wouldn't have quite made it. That's the way I see it anyways.

If you had decided to keep your russian stock and PG and just replaced the mags, and another single part (i.e. gas piston), you would be in compliance but on thin ice. Merely using (maybe possessing???) a russian mag would have put you out of compliance.

All IMO, YMMV, etc

Welcome to the forum Jaak

post-5106-1174810398.jpg

*all in good fun of course*

Look forward to seeing the finished conversion.

On a side note: The shark brake is kick ass. It not only a door breacher (and semi-bayonet if zombies really insist), but its ported to compensate the muzzle climb, AND if you look at the venting it assists with actually lessening the recoil (has a forward compensation).

I own two S12 guns. Compared to a stock barrel, you can notice the difference.

Of course, if you want to use chokes...I think Poly Choke is the best out there (from all I've read anyway).

~S

Edited by whatmanual
Congrats on your newest baby, careful, might eat you out of house and home.

I'm going to post this here as a warning because of some of the advice above.

Saiga has 13 parts as it was imported. That means 13 without a pistol grip. So, when adding a PG you have a 14 part shotgun (in the eyes of the law). Simply adding a mag to the shotgun wouldn't have quite made it. That's the way I see it anyways.

If you had decided to keep your russian stock and PG and just replaced the mags, and another single part (i.e. gas piston), you would be in compliance but on thin ice. Merely using (maybe possessing???) a russian mag would have put you out of compliance.

All IMO, YMMV, etc

im using a tapco G2 trigger group and a us pgrip. everything will be fine. i think im going to sell this conversion and do another, so nothing too wild as i want to keep the price low. anyone have a good link for hole plugs? i think i got drill happy and put 2 extra holes on the bottom of the reciever... one in the middle of the trigger guard(rivet used to be there) and one at the very end(also rivet used to be there.

anyone have a good link for hole plugs?

Use 3/16 inch plastic hole plugs, found at Ace Hardware, Lowes, etc. Exact parts # info has been posted previously. If necessary try a search of 'hole plugs'.

here is a pic... ignore the wasr stock, i only put it on there because it was an extra piece i had laying around. its a pos. dunno what im going to use, i dont have much cash right now... i might just keep the factory stock on for a while until i can afford better.

saiga%20conversion.jpg