This was all i really wanted to see happen....back to where we were before the Patriot Act

.......with only 2 against.....i think we can be sure the right and left agreed on this one overall.

WASHINGTON (AP) - The Senate voted overwhelmingly Tuesday to end the Bush administration's ability to unilaterally fill U.S. attorney vacancies as a backlash to Attorney General Alberto Gonzales' firing of eight federal prosecutors.

Gonzales got a morale boost with an early-morning call from President Bush, their first conversation since a week ago, when the president said he was unhappy with how the Justice Department handled the firings.

Also, the Senate by a 94-2 vote passed a bill that would cancel the attorney general's power to appoint U.S. attorneys without Senate confirmation. Democrats say the Bush administration abused that authority when it fired the eight prosecutors and proposed replacing some with White House loyalists.

"If you politicize the prosecutors, you politicize everybody in the whole chain of law enforcement," said Judiciary Committee Chairman Patrick Leahy, D-Vt.

The bill, which has yet to be considered in the House, would set a 120-day deadline for the administration to appoint an interim prosecutor. If the interim appointment is not confirmed by the Senate in that time, a permanent replacement would be named by a federal district judge.

Essentially, the Senate returned the law regarding the appointments of U.S. attorneys to where it was before Congress passed the Patriot Act, including the unilateral appointment authority the administration had sought in the wake of the 9/11 terror attacks.

Well we wouldn't want to fire US Attorneys that fail to prosecute voter fraud cases. We need those convicted felons, dead people and their dogs to keep voting Democrat. It's just amazing how the sheeple bite on every idiotic non-crisis the Dumb-O-Craps throw out there. They killed this country 30+ years ago when they took over the education system and started handing out diplomas to dumbasses that can't even read them.

Funny how they had to throw a bone to the Judiciary to try to make it SCOTUS proof... I wonder if it will work?

Edited by DaGroaner

The point i was originally making a couple weeks back, and which the press is for some reason ignoring is that Bush/Gonzalez were using a provision designed for emergencies to appoint DAs without any congressional over sight. Clinton and company didn't have that back door provision...they did it too, but the did it the right way, they way it had been done for a long time and with checks and balances.

If Bush had used the traditional way on the books before patriot act....i would not have had much problem with it, there are always political hirings and firings, but but there is an existing system of how it should be done. Bush tried to abuse an emergency provision in the Patriot act in non-emergent situations. If there was nothing underhanded going on, why not just use the traditional method with congressional approval which is still on the books?

I simply believe in holding our elected officials to a higher standard, if they are to represent us should they not be as ethical as we are or more?