but stock length

i am working on my second s12. Been looking at some stocks. My question is this. What is the difference in warsaw length and the others. I want a black us made stock. I like the one with the groove running down the side. I hope i don't sound like a complete idiot, I just lack the proper know how. thanks

I ordered a warsaw pact size stock for my 410 because I wanted it to be "authentic". When I got the stock I could not believe how tiny it was. My face was right up next to the receiver. I have returned it to the good folks K-VAR and exchanged it for the NATO lenght which is 1 and 1/4 inch longer. It should be here any day now. I can give you an update when it finally arrives.

In other news..... I just picked up my first S-12 today :D I didnt think I would ever find one, I looked for a full month and all I could find were the old 108s with the welded choke. But Johnny Gun is happy tonight! :up:

i am working on my second s12. Been looking at some stocks. My question is this. What is the difference in warsaw length and the others. I want a black us made stock. I like the one with the groove running down the side. I hope i don't sound like a complete idiot, I just lack the proper know how. thanks

yes it's a great gun.

Does this sound right what I read?

The correct length of a stock can be determined this way. Hold the gun one handed and the stock should rest at your elbow. A weapon with a stock this length will fit real nice when shouldered.

I ordered a 9.5 inch folding stock with the internal block and a 1 inch recoil pad. I made a fist like I was holding a pistol grip and to the crease in my elbow it was about 12 inches. I figure it should be about right.

What do you think Sigh GA GURUS??

Does this sound right what I read?

The correct length of a stock can be determined this way. Hold the gun one handed and the stock should rest at your elbow. A weapon with a stock this length will fit real nice when shouldered.

I ordered a 9.5 inch folding stock with the internal block and a 1 inch recoil pad. I made a fist like I was holding a pistol grip and to the crease in my elbow it was about 12 inches. I figure it should be about right.

What do you think Sigh GA GURUS??

That is what they say, but by that logic I would prefer the NATO stock. LOP is a funny thing, my friend has the NATO stock and I'm sure its right for him, his arms are longer than mine. The longer stock feels nice to me but the shorter one is still what I prefer with a pistol grip. I like to move my shoulder foreward and tuck my elbow in when I shoot.

I would say that if you are unsure then do as rocinante suggests, but remember, length of pull is measured from the butt to the trigger, not to the grip. The nato stock gives you about a 14 inch LOP and the warsaw gives you about 12.5". If you have a yard stick you can hold it like you would a rifle to determine what you prefer.

Edited by ArcFault

Well, coming from pratical experience -if you wear body armor or some thick harness/chest rig....then you might reconsider the value of those slightly shorter stocks compared to NATO.

Food for thought :)

My AES10 RPK has a custom made longer stock (used on a sample for law enforcement and taken apart -so I bought the furniture hehe). Its a couple inches longer of course.

....but then again, its for an entirely different purpose (counter sniper/sport setup and pulling 5 inch groups at 300....im working on it :P )

:ph34r:

Edited by whatmanual

I actually bought an AR stock adapter for my SAR1 (rifle, not a shotgun FYI), with the intention of using the stock at full pull. in NY state, I must pin the stock. after much deliberation, I actually went with a configuration that is much shorter than a warsaw length stock. I used a car type AR stock, and it is now epoxied in its fully collapsed position.

now the why. I am a big dude. (6 2) I WANTED a longer pull that was more along the lines of all the guns Ive had in the past. it really does help with longer ranged shots, if you ask me. you didnt, but im telling you anyway. I wound up going with the shorter length for a few reasons. first is I have an ultimak installed on my gun. this puts the red dot WAY out front of the gun. so I have my eye relief. also, I wanted this particular gun slung under my arm and compact as possible. my face is ON the reciever cover when I shoot, but you also should keep in mind that this gun broke me of my one eyed shooting habit. it took time, but I have full depth perception when I shoot now, because I shoot with both eyes open, even with a scope, and also with shotguns, which is where i started learning this habit in the first place. the gun is much more easily carried, much quicker to shoulder and thus shoot, and quicker to point because of the shorter length.

it is really the purpose you want the gun to do for YOU, more than what YOU want from the gun. if it were legal in new york, my saiga12 would be set up EXACTLY the same, parts and all.

all around? if you only had the one gun? I would suggest a NATO stock. otherwise? go short. especially if you have two coats on in the winter when you shoot food with it. this is in part why the stock was designed so short, to accomodate body armor and the vests with all that crap on them. I have a good quality ranger vest, and when its fully loaded with all the shit I put in it, the short length does NOT impede my shouldering of the weapon. it has NOTHING to do with concealment. its all about quickness. the first deer I dropped was running past me about ten yards away this past winter. I couldnt have gotten a clean shot as fast as I did with a longer stock. there is just no way. ready or not, here it comes, so to speak.

if you miss the shot opportunity, you may as well have shot the gun and missed the target. at least then you can say you pulled the damn trigger and missed, instead of saying that you didnt get a sight picture before it got away from you.

you need to decide what is best FOR YOUR NEEDS. if you dont do a lot of quick shotgunning, a nato stock is probably best for you. if you do stalks on hunts, maybe you might actually consider getting used to that short stock. you will shoulder the gun faster, and get the shot. nevermind if the zombies come into effect and rise up against us here.

you want what IS COMFORTABLE for you. I have a lot of guns, and in my case, i needed one that is a bit quicker and shorter. terrorism is a constant thought to us in my area, as well.

you need to make your own choice. your gun is your life. make your choice yours. not what we tell you.