How can I make this gun better in 10 minutes?

Just did some mods to my .308 yesterday. Chopped the barrel, reamed the FSB and added the "Dinzag touch" (Brake, HG retainer, gas tube, etc.). Now I'm just upset that the 8 round mag doesn't compliment it, but I can't fix that on a Sunday. So while waiting for my wife to get out of the shower before we go test fire it, I figure I can do SOMETHING to make it better in 10 minutes.

9:13 AM Decided to go from 8 to 10 round mags. Pulled up the threads that talk about it and studied them.

9:15 AM Ripped the mag apart and grabbed the two parts needed (Not taking note of which way they mount on the spring, that would be useful in about 6 minutes, but I'm in a hurry man!)

9:16 AM Loaded the body and follower with 10 rounds, mic'd it, pulled 2 rounds, mic'd it, marked the follower where to cut.

9:19 AM Flipped the switich on the disk/belt sander (nothing) FUCK! It's not plugged in!

9:19:40 AM Flipped it on again and grinded both parts down.

9:21 AM Done! Took the parts to a utility knife and cleaned 'em up.

9:22 AM Realized that I didn't note which way the spring mounts, take a stab at it and assemble.

9:23 AM Done and assembled, load a mag up w/10. OH FUCK! IT ONLY HOLDS SIX!! While watching the clock, disassemble the mag, flip the spring the other way.

9:24 AM Damn, I busted my time, but it wasn't my fault. If the stupid F&^%ing mag spring wasn't directional.

9:24:30 AM Done swearing at these in-animate plastic parts, load 10, rock and lock. It's tight.

9:25 AM Take it to the back yard and try to cycle 10. The bolt won't even budge. Shoulda taken a little extra off for bolt clearence.

9:26 AM Take a round out, rock and lock 9, cycles manually like a champ.

9:27 AM Police up my brass. I can only find 8 in the grass in my back yard. I know I'll be mowing the lawn.....I know I don't want to hit that with the mower....

9:29 AM Found it! I'll go post results, the wife is still blow-drying her hair

16 minutes later, I've got a 9 round mag (which is better than 8). Additionally, it doesn't take 240 lbs of force to chamber the first round, so I'm pretty happy. A little bit more attention to detail, and I can hone my saiga-foo skills to perfection.

Thanks for the know-how and confidence to do these simple mods guys. Most people are convinced by gunsmiths that all you should do is run CLP down the barrel, this board has definately changed my outlook. Hope my "Lessons learned" can help some noob too!

Shane

Just did some mods to my .308 yesterday. Chopped the barrel, reamed the FSB and added the "Dinzag touch" (Brake, HG retainer, gas tube, etc.). Now I'm just upset that the 8 round mag doesn't compliment it, but I can't fix that on a Sunday. So while waiting for my wife to get out of the shower before we go test fire it, I figure I can do SOMETHING to make it better in 10 minutes.

9:13 AM Decided to go from 8 to 10 round mags. Pulled up the threads that talk about it and studied them.

9:15 AM Ripped the mag apart and grabbed the two parts needed (Not taking note of which way they mount on the spring, that would be useful in about 6 minutes, but I'm in a hurry man!)

9:16 AM Loaded the body and follower with 10 rounds, mic'd it, pulled 2 rounds, mic'd it, marked the follower where to cut.

9:19 AM Flipped the switich on the disk/belt sander (nothing) FUCK! It's not plugged in!

9:19:40 AM Flipped it on again and grinded both parts down.

9:21 AM Done! Took the parts to a utility knife and cleaned 'em up.

9:22 AM Realized that I didn't note which way the spring mounts, take a stab at it and assemble.

9:23 AM Done and assembled, load a mag up w/10. OH FUCK! IT ONLY HOLDS SIX!! While watching the clock, disassemble the mag, flip the spring the other way.

9:24 AM Damn, I busted my time, but it wasn't my fault. If the stupid F&^%ing mag spring wasn't directional.

9:24:30 AM Done swearing at these in-animate plastic parts, load 10, rock and lock. It's tight.

9:25 AM Take it to the back yard and try to cycle 10. The bolt won't even budge. Shoulda taken a little extra off for bolt clearence.

9:26 AM Take a round out, rock and lock 9, cycles manually like a champ.

9:27 AM Police up my brass. I can only find 8 in the grass in my back yard. I know I'll be mowing the lawn.....I know I don't want to hit that with the mower....

9:29 AM Found it! I'll go post results, the wife is still blow-drying her hair

16 minutes later, I've got a 9 round mag (which is better than 8). Additionally, it doesn't take 240 lbs of force to chamber the first round, so I'm pretty happy. A little bit more attention to detail, and I can hone my saiga-foo skills to perfection.

Thanks for the know-how and confidence to do these simple mods guys. Most people are convinced by gunsmiths that all you should do is run CLP down the barrel, this board has definately changed my outlook. Hope my "Lessons learned" can help some noob too!

Shane

I'm looking for the threads that describe how to do this 8 to 10 round clip mod - can you point me to a link? Did you have any feed problems at the range after the mod?

I'm looking for the threads that describe how to do this 8 to 10 round clip mod - can you point me to a link? Did you have any feed problems at the range after the mod?

+1

I found the hybird mag mod for the shotgun guys, but haven't run across the 10rnd mod for the 308... Interested as well :)

Two threads referenced:

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showto...hl=magazine+mod

And I can't find the other dammit!! If you ask TEXLURCH, he broke it down as simple as could be in the other thread, maybe he can join in.

Feeds great, no issues at the range. When you cut it down, you'll see what guides the follower in the mag body, it's two grooves on the side. If you cut it past these, it will probably not feed correctly. But if you pretty much do it the way I said, and keep an eye on those rails, you should be good. Don't forget to cut the spikes down on the floorplate jsut as much as you did the follower. Now I gotta make it go from 9+1 to 10, should only take about a 1/4".

I did the barrel with a hacksaw and a lot of patience. I've heard you can surface it with a dremel, but I used a hand tool to suface and crown it. If you ask tony, I think he makes or knows where to find one you can chuck in a hand drill.

shaneman, try taking 2 coils out of the spring. I had the same prob at first, and that fixed it completely.

that same size spring works in the 20's, so you have a few coils to spare.

Thanks, I had initially thought of chopping the spring, because there ain't much follower left! I'll try it and let you know how it goes. The worst that can happen is I have justification to buy some 20 rounders. Awe shucks!

Shane

Thanks USpride, it's a pretty easy mod. I'll post some pics of the gun once I'm not ashamed of how the recoil pad looks. (Grind to fit's look nasty till you finish sand and lube 'em up)

Edited by shaneman153a