saiga 30-06,270

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Going from .308 to 30-06 is as easy as sending a 30-06 reamer into the chamber. One could accomplish this by hand, just like the No.4 Enfield conversion to 7.62X54R. Just go slow, clean out chamber frequently, use plenty of cutting oil, and as you get close check & re-check the headspace. Go & No Go Gauges are the way to go.

As for the magazine, BAR is a possibility. So are the 10 rd. Remington mags. There are more, but can't think of them this late.

As for the PG conversion, I'm guessing you would have to go with the ACE Adapter, and mounting The PG to the Adapter. IMO this ACE Adapter PC looks great. Don't forget the USA compliant parts.

For you builders, there's some ROMAK 3 parts kits, along with Made in USA receivers. This gives you a lot of options, for the 06 family and the Short Magnum family of cartridges.

I'd love a 25-06 for those Wild Hogs that hit the sweet tater fields right at dusk, but way out there. Good fun & really good eating after a diet of sweet taters. Cajun

308 to 30-06 is more complicated than that. You can't just rechamber without taking the barrel back, because there will be a recess due to the lower taper of the 308 case. If I'm wrong then I'm one happy camper. No4 Enfield to 7.62x54R interests me... Would make it much cheaper to shoot and easier to find a variety of ammo for.

Where have you seen the USA made receiver for Romak III? I must see that if it's real.

The VEPR in 30-06 has been produced but isn't coming here. EAA promised them then said they won't be importing them after all. Dorks.

They import the standard VEPR in 223, X39, 5.45x39, and 308. They modify it in house into the Vepr II/Vepr K. They also import the Super Vepr, which has a one piece full length thumbhole stock. The Vepr Hunter we speak of in 30-06 has a Monte carlo stock and was advertised by EAA. Finally they took it off their website, long after admitting that they wouldn't import them after all.

BattleRifleG3, It's actually that simple. Check the two cartridges dimensions. the head diameter is 0.005 larger on the .308 than the 30-06, and ammo will vary that much.

Just strip your .308 down to a barreled receiver, then get a socket extension long enough to extend out the end of the receiver + length of reamer. Attach 30-06 reamer to extension, and extension to a "T" Handle. Lubricate chamber with cutting oil, and using medium pressure make one clockwise turn. Remove reamer, clean chamber very well. Repeat above steps until you get close, then go to 1/2 turns, and check headspace with bolt installed and go, no-go gauges, until you get good headspace. USE CUTTING OIL & CLEAN EVERYTIME YOU REMOVE REAMER. Once headspace is correct, test fire rifle. No big job, maybe 30 minute to one hour. Fitting a new mag will take more time than reaming the chamber.

You can find the ROMAK 3 receiver at: http://www.tickbitesupply.com/partskit.html . The Receiver is $139.95 and an FFL is required. Parts kit is $299.99. About $440. plus labor. Should be an easy build. It says "Romanian" receiver, so I assume it was made there, as it was never a full auto firearm.

If you want info on the No.4 Enfield 7.62X54R conversion, check out the Jews For Firearms Ownership website, as there is a video on the conversion. Now this conversion is strictly a "Survival Rifle", as you cut the .303 chamber to accept the 7.62X54R cartridge. When fired they fireform to the remaining chamber of the .303 British, and sometimes split the brass. Since you have a strong action using a rimmed cartridge it isn't a big deal. I did this conversion about 5-6 years ago, and have run about 400 rds. of 7.62X54R through the No.4 Enfield. Some split brass, but no problems. Accuracy even improved over the .303 British cartridge. The modification is the same as the .308 Saiga to 30-06. They used a dummy cartridge to cut cost to get proper headspace, instead of Go, No-Go gauges. The extension of the No.4 Enfield Magazine I run down on another thread you have read, is what I use in my 7.62X54R conversion, and I can get 16 rds. in it. With the fast cycle rate of the No.4 Enfield, you can put down some firepower for a bolt action. The main purpose of the modification is to take advantage of the cheap milsurp ammo. If you decide to try any of these modes, and need a little help, just holler, as I've been building rifles since my early teens, like 13, and my youngest child is 35 years old. Built and sold Sporters for years until my FFL come up for renewal during the Clinton years, and I wouldn't jump through the ATF's hoops, and just let it expire. Clinton helped pay for the college education of my children, as his acts sold more SKSs & MAK-90s than anything anyone could have done. Unknowingly he put more semi autos into the hands of US citizens than anyone in history. It was stack em deep and sell em cheap back then. Later, Cajun

Try Centerfire Systems for the Romak kits and receivers. As for converting the .308 to .30-06, I must be missing something. Namely- Why? Better ballistic performance? No. Cheaper surplus ammo? Heck, no. So-o-o-o, with Greek rack grade, M-1's selling for $295 (Danes are $350); if you want a semi in .30-06, why mess up a Saiga?

Why an AK in 30-06?

1. Legal AP ammo in the extremely reliable and decently accurate AK-100 action.

2. Ability to fire heavy bullets much better than a 308, such as 180gr+. The way to go for hunting anything larger than whitetail.

Nah, pull the .30-06 AP bullets and load them in a .308... Much better and easier than obtaining a .30-06 AK. As for the 180gr bullets: a .308 can take up to 200gr and shoot them fine, with a slight velocity loss with anything over 180. With modern premium bullets like the Nosler Partion, Failsafe, and X-bullet, you can take elk and moose just fine with a 180gr. No need for anything over that unless you're taking grizzly, then you'd better have a .375 or bigger.